User Tag List

First 123 Last

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    Yes, and?
    The purpose of this thread is to ask what peoples resolutions are. The point is that you don't have to muddle it by being contrary for no reason. The internet brings out tendencies in people that real life, face-to-face interactions rarely do.
    Of course, if you have a bigger point to make than that people's choices are bullshit, feel free to make it.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    The purpose of this thread is to ask what peoples resolutions are. The point is that you don't have to muddle it by being contrary for no reason. The internet brings out tendencies in people that real life, face-to-face interactions rarely do.
    Of course, if you have a bigger point to make than that people's choices are bullshit, feel free to make it.
    When did I say people's choices are bullshit, exactly? Or are you making an assumption? I said that its bullshit, as in the concept of "new year resolutions" is bullshit, mostly because studies have shown nearly 75% of people who set them fail(wiki it), which makes it? Bullshit.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Well I was making some big changes early in December, so decided to put the social energy of New Years into them by pushing them even more.

Loads of new runners on my usual routes though

75% statistic means nothing on it's own. For one that looks like a massive success rate, higher than I would expect (around 15% I thought, which is still a high rate of success for such challenges), and in order to test the merit of New Years resolutions you need to compare it to other resolutions or changes. The idea being that simultaneous attempts at even different activities by multiple people is more effective than on your own, let alone when a group tries the same resolution together. There's a social momentum to it.

The other thing it tries to do is make people who normally wouldn't think about or practice self-improvement give it a shot. Any attempt at measuring the effect of New Years resolutions would need to take that into account as well. You'd have to measure the effects of different time lapses between attempts and all other kinds of complications too.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

When did I say people's choices are bullshit, exactly? Or are you making an assumption? I said that its bullshit, as in the concept of "new year resolutions" is bullshit, mostly because studies have shown nearly 75% of people who set them fail(wiki it), which makes it? Bullshit.
    It's a disfunction of the internet that people state things as briefly as possible, expecting to be asked what they mean, rather than just saying what they mean.
    It's another game to say that people are acting foolishly because they didn't read your mind accurately, despite your over-brief statements.
    But thanks for finally explaining what 'are bullshit' actually means. thanks for playing the message board insouciance game.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

It's true that a lot of resolutions fail and that you could as easily resolve to change at any time of year. Nevertheless self-improvement is a good thing. Risk of failure isn't a reason not to make resolutions - after all, there's no down-side.

In answer to the original question of the thread, I would like to lose weight and get fit. I'm eating a healthy, balanced diet (no fads), all organic, and have started using the Wii Active. It's going rather well so far (I started on the 27th December) and have lost 5lb.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Valis View Post
    It's true that a lot of resolutions fail and that you could as easily resolve to change at any time of year. Nevertheless self-improvement is a good thing. Risk of failure isn't a reason not to make resolutions - after all, there's no down-side.
    Completely agree, I just don't think people should spontaneously vouch to commit to something, say they're committing, without any actual commitment. Do it when you're ready, Not because you're supposed to and everyone else is doing it. You're asking for failure.

It's a disfunction of the internet that people state things as briefly as possible, expecting to be asked what they mean, rather than just saying what they mean.
    It's another game to say that people are acting foolishly because they didn't read your mind accurately, despite your over-brief statements.
    But thanks for finally explaining what 'are bullshit' actually means. thanks for playing the message board insouciance game.

I thought I was quite clear.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    Did you make any New Years resolutions? If so, what were they? What is your attitude toward making New Years resolutions? Share/ discuss.
    I did make some. I think they are pointless without an action plan. Many years in the past I have said "I'm going to spend less and save more!" or "I'm going to lose X amount of weight!" And surprise, surprise, at the end of the year I have nothing in savings and I have gained weight.

Last year and this year I have primarily used the NYR idea as more of a springboard to remotivate myself on what I am currently working on. I have some major and mini goals in several categories with some plans on how to achieve them.

Ginkgo

Resolutions tend to succeed when they're charted over a significant stretch of time. Not when we only commit to them for a day or two.

EDIT: If I make any resolutions I won't tell you about them. Personal projects and New Years traditions don't mix well.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Dude, stop being such a killjoy. Ywirs being contrary may provide entertainment.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm not big on making new years resolutions because I know I rarely stick to them and it just reminds me of how little I actually accomplish. But that being said I'd like to exercise more regularly- I've been kind of off and on these last few weeks. I'd also like to learn a foreign language well enough to actually carry on a conversation.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne