Socionics
    ILE

I work for the CIA.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    How much money did Hostel make? Or the Saw series? They can't all be psychos, all those horror-movie film goers.. How many people watched that movie where the chariot race actually killed people? How many people went to watch that movie as soon as they found out there was real deaths occuring in that scene? How many people watched The Birds, where the actress was actually verbally and physically abused and many of her reactions are genuine? How many times have the pictures and videos of people committing suicide or being shot have been viewed on the internet?

People look at death. That's just the way it is.
    Not to kick up dust on an old issues, but....

There's a serious difference between real and fictional violence. What that girl posted a link to were scenes of actual violence that caused actual pain to actual people. Part of the reason that horror is so popular is because most people can make that distinction, and if they want to have an outlet for their curiosity would rather it be without anyone having to die for it. If it was simply a curiosity, why couldn't it have been satisfied by Saw or an episode of Law and Order (assuming theres any basis to the story that she's interested in forensics)? What's up with this kid that whatever curiosity she has can only be satisfied by genuine pain and suffering?
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    ISFP

I find it lame when a chick is attached at the hip to her significant other. The worst is when your once interesting friend turns into a boring lump of goop that only ever seems to stay at home watching movies with her boyfriend. I guess that's mean . . .

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    Not to kick up dust on an old issues, but....

There's a serious difference between real and fictional violence. What that girl posted a link to were scenes of actual violence that caused actual pain to actual people. Part of the reason that horror is so popular is because most people can make that distinction, and if they want to have an outlet for their curiosity would rather it be without anyone having to die for it. If it was simply a curiosity, why couldn't it have been satisfied by Saw or an episode of Law and Order (assuming theres any basis to the story that she's interested in forensics)? What's up with this kid that whatever curiosity she has can only be satisfied by genuine pain and suffering?
    I'd buy this if movies weren't so realistic. There have been actors actually hurt, killed, permanently damaged, and frightened and tortured for REAL in the name of making movies.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19099...se-murder.html
    http://www.cracked.com/article_19693...feature_module

There's all sorts of lovely, unnecessary things directors have done for the sake of detail in their movies.

When Regan's mother was to be yanked back in a harness, Friedkin led her to believe that it would be a very gentle tug. Then he caught her off guard and had it set to fling her backward at maximum strength. This actually resulted in a broken coccyx and permanent spinal problems for actress Ellen Burstyn. But the look on her face was totally worth it!
    A couple articles I read.. I know cracked isn't the source to go to for accurate current news or anything, but the articles all have viable links.

The point being people find these movies to be classics, and enthralling. No one compares the Saw series to The Exorcist.. The magic in the movie is how realistic it can be--horror movies are meant to feel real.. I don't see how that's so different from watching something real. It's why ARG's (things like The Blair Witch Project) are so popular.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I'd buy this if movies weren't so realistic. There have been actors actually hurt, killed, permanently damaged, and frightened and tortured for REAL in the name of making movies.

The point being people find these movies to be classics, and enthralling. No one compares the Saw series to The Exorcist.. The magic in the movie is how realistic it can be--horror movies are meant to feel real.. I don't see how that's so different from watching something real. It's why ARG's (things like The Blair Witch Project) are so popular.
    Yes, but it doesn't change the point that the audience goes in with the expectation of something fictional. Regardless of what accidents may happen or over-the-line techniques, it's not SUPPOSED to be real, and people aren't SUPPOSED to be hurt. Intention matters here. I mean, are you telling me that you genuinely can't see the difference in consequences between actual and fictional violence?

People who knowingly watch horror films because real violence or abuse is involved are in a different category of people than those who just happen to enjoy violent films. The point being that the fascination with actual pain and suffering inflicted on other living things is not the norm. There's some sort of empathy short-circuit with these people. And second, no matter how realistic it is, fictional violence is still NOT real violence, a distinction that most people can make. This business of people occasionally being hurt while filming is pretty much a moot point.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    Yes, but it doesn't change the point that the audience goes in with the expectation of something fictional. Regardless of what accidents may happen or over-the-line techniques, it's not SUPPOSED to be real, and people aren't SUPPOSED to be hurt. Intention matters here. I mean, are you telling me that you genuinely can't see the difference in consequences between actual and fictional violence?
    I see that there is a difference between fake violence and real violence. Consequences? I'm not so sure of.. I don't see many directors in jail for torture, but if I were to do the same stunts I'd surely be arrested in a heartbeat.

People wanted to watch the Blair Witch Project because people thought it was real. The premise of the movie was to make people believe that three teenagers really got lost in the woods (and many of their reactions were very genuine, terrorized and scared by the crew while being given less and less food and letting them become lost for 8 days straight) and ended up dying from this mysterious witch.. People ate it right up. Someone's last moments in life, scared, terrorized, and dying and people WANTED to see it. Sure, I'm sure most people assumed it fake after watching it.. but the entire selling point of the movie was to convince people that the tapes were real. And it worked.

And how many younger people went and watched that clip of Ben Hur when they found out someone actually died in the Chariot scene? Or how many people go BACK to watch something after they discover something real happened in it? It happens all the time.

How many views does the Columbine School Shootings have on youtube? Over a million views.

People who knowingly watch horror films because real violence or abuse is involved are in a different category of people than those who just happen to enjoy violent films. The point being that the fascination with actual pain and suffering inflicted on other living things is not the norm. There's some sort of empathy short-circuit with these people. And second, no matter how realistic it is, fictional violence is still NOT real violence, a distinction that most people can make. This business of people occasionally being hurt while filming is pretty much a moot point.
    You'd think you could make that distinction. But how violent and traumatized was the actress's crying and pains in The Birds? That woman's entire career was over after that movie.. She was so tortured she'd completely break down mentally.. And how many people STILL don't know that her reactions are real? I don't think people can so easily distinguish fact from fiction. I certainly didn't know that the reactions in the Exorcist were all real until after I read about it, and I've watched that movie like a hundred times.

I'm unsure of how I personally feel on the subject.. People taking pleasure in the observation of pain.. or people inflicting pain and suffering voluntarily on others.. But I know that IS a human norm to be fascinated by it. Maybe not in the same way you enjoy a painting, or a stained glass piece.. but there is a curiosity in it all.

If people can completely abandon their sense of morality in the face of someone they assume to be an authoritative figure, I don't see how it's so far fetched to think that people have a strange fascination with horror, death, pain, and the unknown. We like to be scared sometimes. We like to see shocking things. Fake or not, it is fascinating and strange and thus we are curious in a grotesque way.

Soldiers are well known for looking at and passing around grotesque pictures of real situations--horrid traffic accidents, people hurt as a result of the war, videos featuring our own being killed by the enemy.. I don't lack empathy for humans now that I've seen those things. I don't work with a bunch of deranged, psychopathic anti-social Dexters because they own those sort of videos and photos.

I think it is socialization that makes us more sensitive to this material as time goes on.. not human nature.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

I'm a not actually woman...... I'm a horse...... I'm not actually a horse.... I am a broomstick.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx

I wish I had a best friend who was always with me so I would never feel lonely. My imaginary friends aren't good enough.

MBTI
    INTP

I have many many secrets and no one person knows them all. 'Cept me.
    "It's never enough." The Cure

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post
    I'm a not actually woman...... I'm a horse...... I'm not actually a horse.... I am a broomstick.
    "It's never enough." The Cure