User Tag List

Thread: Can someone help me with technical computer assistance, please?

Default Can someone help me with technical computer assistance, please?

I am really hoping someone can help me here as my little shit of a teenager put a password on my computer yesterday and is refusing to give me the word so currently i am fucked unless i kill him and just go and buy another computer (that may be an option at a later date)

Anyway .. I put a new password on the computer so he can't go on it and yesterday he told me he's been able to override it and get online (think he's bullshitting but he found another way to gain control). As the computer loaded up he pressed F12, i think, and a grey box came up numbered 1 to 4 with words at the side, i'm sure one said Diskette and another said Harddrive. He pressed one of them and another box came up and i know the first option was change and save. Now when i turn on the computer instantly i get a small blue box in the middle of the screen asking for the password. And like i said, the kid won't give me the password even though i have explained i have important documents on the desktop which i need.

I have tried today about 20 times pressing F12 as it loads up but still i am getting this blue box asking for the password.

Is there anyway i can override this so i can get on the desktop, retrieve my important documents then remove the computer from the house *sigh*

I would be very grateful for any assistance in this matter.
    Thank you very much in advance.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Klingon Warrior Princess Array Patches's Avatar
    6w5 sp/sx

Ok... I would recommend for step 1.... You beat your child.

He has set a BIOS password. The good news is... You can reset your BIOS without losing any of your documents and such. The bad news is... It requires opening up the case and pulling out a battery.

If you feel technically inclined enough to handle that, there are LOTS of walk-throughs on the internet. It's really easy to do. All you have to do is locate the CMOS battery (looks like a watch battery) and pull it out. If you keep it out for 20-30 minutes your BIOS will reset to factory settings. Then you put the battery back in. When you reboot the password will either be gone entirely, or will reset to the 'default' password set by the manufacturer. If you tell me the make of your computer I can find the default password for you. Let me know if that's the route you want to take, and I can link you some walkthroughs and images that show you exactly what you're looking for.

Or... You can take it to a tech shop and just tell them you need to reset the BIOS, and they will understand. But obviously if you do that there will be a charge.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman