User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default DD/MM/YYYY Vs MM/DD/YYYY

No such things as a stupid question, Part 2.

In the UK we use DD/MM/YYYY but i know in Canada they use MM/DD/YYYY .. Why the difference? It's confusing.

I think on here you use MM/DD/YYYY.

Can someone please tell me the origins of such confusion?

Why not make it universal?

Thanks in advance
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INTP

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people

I am going to try to emulate the thought pattern of the person who came up with the mm/dd/yyyy format

We are going to sort these numbers, 123456789, in descending order

5, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

MBTI
    INTP

I don't know, the mm/dd/yy thing makes more sense to me, since all months have the same days in them, with the exception of the odd 31st. So Day First seems to not give you an anchor, until you get to the month. Month first, you already know which month you're in, and then you narrow it down to the day.

I don't know why the difference, though. Don't y'all in the UK also use military time a lot more than we do?
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I don't know, the mm/dd/yy thing makes more sense to me, since all months have the same days in them, with the exception of the odd 31st. So Day First seems to not give you an anchor, until you get to the month. Month first, you already know which month you're in, and then you narrow it down to the day.

I don't know why the difference, though. Don't y'all in the UK also use military time a lot more than we do?
    Why wouldn't you "anchor" with the year then?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Why wouldn't you "anchor" with the year then?
    I knew someone would say that. :-P Honestly, I think we mostly are just comfortable with what we are most familiar with. We expect to find the year last. If I'm looking for the year, I skip to the end. But since there are two ways of doing the month/day, we are thrown off by the other method, and it seems illogical. It's possible if I'd grown up in the UK, I'd think it made more sense to zero in on the day first. As it happens, the month feels like an anchor to me, and makes it easier to remember, etc.
    Something Witty

Glycerine

In the military, they do the DD/MM/YYYY while in the civilian world, it's MM/DD/YYYY (in the U.S.).

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    In the military, they do the DD/MM/YYYY while in the civilian world, it's MM/DD/YYYY (in the U.S.).
    Military gets all the cool stuff. Military time is even better. A.M.? P.M.? Fuck that

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    No such things as a stupid question, Part 2.

In the UK we use DD/MM/YYYY but i know in Canada they use MM/DD/YYYY .. Why the difference? It's confusing.

I think on here you use MM/DD/YYYY.

Can someone please tell me the origins of such confusion?

Why not make it universal?

Thanks in advance
    I've seen both used, actually. Haven't figured out the pattern for where each one is used, if there is one. Nice and confusing.
    -end of thread-

Anew Leaf

Lol yes very confusing. When I lived in Singapore I had a teacher harass me that "today" was my birthday and I should be sung to. I was completely irritated since it was clearly (to my mind) not my birthday. Finally she brought me to the office to make me admit it was my birthday. My birthday was in the "normal (to me)" American of mm/dd/yy. She was reading it as dd/mm/yy.

She finally saw the error of her ways.... And then made the class sing to me anyways since my real birthday had been two months prior.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

MM/DD/YYYY doesent make any sense, maybe thats why americans and some others use that
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read