User Tag List

First 123

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    It should be noted that in some countries it's, yyyy/mm/dd. I think many Asian countries do this and I think some Swedish friends told me they do it too.

It's dd/mm/yyyy here in NZ. It's very confusing when I see it in the North American format. Even though you know you should simply mentally swap them around for some reason my brain has trouble.

My cousin's birthday is the 13th of October! And yes this is how we would say it, however people may say it the other way on the odd occasion. American ways of saying things tend to creep into the culture.

This reminds me of something I saw the other day:

Oh Americans, you so funny.
    we would like to collectively thank the british empire for giving us such a wondrous gift of measurement.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    we would like to collectively thank the british empire for giving us such a wondrous gift of measurement.
    If only we had all been colonised by France. That said, I think the metric system was invented in the later 18th century, which would have been too late for America.

Oh and I found this which outlines which country does what: Date format by country
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

DD/MM/YYYY makes sense, since it goes from specific to general, or the reverse (YYYY/MM/DD) which goes from general to specific. MM/DD/YYYY makes no sense. When speaking, I will also say "23 January 2012". I will say "January 23rd" only when the year is understood and I am perhaps just making a distinction between 21 and 23 Jan of the same year.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    If only we had all been colonised by France. That said, I think the metric system was invented in the later 18th century, which would have been too late for America.

Oh and I found this which outlines which country does what: Date format by country
    According to that chart, Canada is the only one that does three different orders. Hurray for being the most confusing.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I prefer the military method for dates and times
    - It is currently 2132 hours on 111030
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

MBTI
    ESFJ

In primary school i was taught to tell the time in both military and civilian, now i do both.

I always say my birthday is on 8th April.

I suppose if you have always been taught to use one particular way then it's easier to stick with what you know. I do find it confusing though when, i'd imagine, that the day is more relevant than the month so it makes sense to start with the day.

I am looking forward to 11/11/11. We'll all be on the same page
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I think if you're going to pick the best just go with YYYY/MM/DD, it makes the most sense from all angles. But, MM/DD/YYYY is what everybody uses here day to day, so that's what I use day to day. Professionally, I use all kinds of formats. Hell, I even use Julian and some quasi-Julian system. I have to because different software from different companies and different industries and different companies all have different preferences, all within the U.S.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I'm an American and think we should switch to DD/MM/YYYY (or reverse that order). Month first makes no sense. I also think we should switch to metric.

On the other hand, I think every country should switch to driving on the right hand side.

I'll go throw myself into a volcano now. One less American to worry about!
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I'll go throw myself into a volcano now. One less American to worry about!
    Please don't. Who will answer my questions to God. Also your life is preciousssss.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe