User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

When saying the month we tend phrase it as October 30, 2011 rather than 30 October 2011. My Windows does this. Do any of you with your computers set to "foreign" have it appear differently when you hover over the clock?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

So far as computers go, the best date format is YYYYMMDD.

Why?

Let's say I am writing a term paper for a school assignment.

I will name the file "Term_Paper_20111030.doc" (Assuming I am using Microsoft Word as the word processor>

Let's ay I worked on this paper tomorrow and saved a new version of "Term_Paper_20111031.doc"

Then the next day I finished the paper and named it "Term_Paper_20111101.doc."

Assuming all three files were saved in the same directory on my hard drive (Let's say "My Documents" for the sake of simplicity) the computer would save the files ion the following order:

(1) Term_Paper_20111030.doc
    (2) Term_Paper_20111031.doc
    (3) Term_Paper_20111101.doc

So, the YEAR is of greatest significance, then the MONTH, and finally the DAY if you wish to find things on your PC/Mac.

-Alex
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    MM/DD/YYYY doesent make any sense, maybe thats why americans and some others use that
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by giegs View Post
    When saying the month we tend phrase it as October 30, 2011 rather than 30 October 2011. My Windows does this. Do any of you with your computers set to "foreign" have it appear differently when you hover over the clock?
    Yes. In portuguese: ''Domingo, 30 de outubro de 2011''
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

NPcomplete

DD/MM vs MM/DD confuses me as well and I'm glad when the DD > 13 because that's the only time I can be really certain. I'm more comfortable with writing the month's name (or an abbreviated form of it).

Also military time = for me at least.

MBTI
    INTP

Those of you who write dd/mm/yyyy, is that how you'd usually say the date, as well? Would you generally say, "My birthday is the 13th of October," or "My birthday is October 13th?"
    Something Witty

NPcomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Those of you who write dd/mm/yyyy, is that how you'd usually say the date, as well? Would you generally say, "My birthday is the 13th of October," or "My birthday is October 13th?"
    I grew up in a very "English" place so I'm used to saying 30th of October, so yes.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

It should be noted that in some countries it's, yyyy/mm/dd. I think many Asian countries do this and I think some Swedish friends told me they do it too.

It's dd/mm/yyyy here in NZ. It's very confusing when I see it in the North American format. Even though you know you should simply mentally swap them around for some reason my brain has trouble.

My cousin's birthday is the 13th of October! And yes this is how we would say it, however people may say it the other way on the odd occasion. American ways of saying things tend to creep into the culture. September 11th or 9/11, for example is always said this way in relation to the 2001 attacks.

This reminds me of something I saw the other day:

Oh Americans, you so funny.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INTP

Americanism: Not entirely unlike herpes.

Dali

The former. (I hail from a commonwealth country)