User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    After I found out there was no Santa Claus, I never understood the point of Xmas. What is the point of receiving something if you have to get something for someone else in return? Why not just get what you want by yourself and other people will get what they want?

And I hate that my parents told me about Santa Claus. The bottom line is that it's lying to your children in order to control them. And of course, it's okay to lie to the kids as long as it's a part of a long-standing tradition, which is sick.
    The point is (of gifts):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcel_Mauss

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gift_(book)

The idea is older than Santa Claus:

I dont believe that is a matter of lying as you describe it and I dont believe that its necessarily wrong for parents to seek to control their children either, although I know that its en vogue to believe that people are capable of mature judgement straight out of the womb but I dont believe that and probably wont ever.

So far as bringing up your child without the benefit of any kind of enchantment what so ever, perhaps that's how you want to go, personally I had a happy childhood which was full of that sort of thing and wouldnt want to deprive any children I may have of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Yeah, starting to think about it.. maybe I can catch some sales before the retailers go into full Christmas mode. Of course, they probably already are in full Christmas mode.
    I love to be prepared and I always end up with a couple of last minute mad dashes to complete so I like to get ideas early. Although I find its more difficult now when people are able to get things easily or early. When I was younger we'd get things at Christmas that we'd been wanting all year round and maybe did silly things like "visit" in the shops for months in the run up. It wasnt uncommon for us to hear from our parents "yeah, maybe for Christmas or maybe for birthday" and to hear other parents say the same to their kids, it probably had all sorts of unintentional beneficial side effects like getting trained to defer gratification.

Although now there's a chance that if you shop someones wishlist on Amazon even it'll change by the day (I know because I'm one of the main offenders in this respect).

ThatGirl

Yes, I am getting everyone same thing I get them every year, product.

TK is getting a lap top.

At least I am consistent.

MBTI
    yupp

no i haven't and when i do i still won;t have a clue
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Has anyone begun to think about what they will get people for Christmas yet?
    Ugh, you're such a J.

I'm not thinking about it, no. I do my Christmas shopping on Christmas eve.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Havne't even thought about it yet. Dirty little secret, I get people things that also benefit me in some way. It's just efficient shopping. The best is when they see how clearly excited I am about the particular item and it finds its way back to me somehow. I'm nothing if not patient.

I should also add this really only applies to family as they're the only people I get things for.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

A lump of coal for all those little brats.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I've thought a little about it but no actual shopping done. I usually don't start shopping until after Thanksgiving. Christmas shopping always makes me anxious because I don't have a good sense of what other people want. They just want to be surprised with a great gift and expect me to read their mind.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Christmas is still ages away.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Christmas is still ages away.
    Hats off to Lark. He started a Christmas thread before the malls even ran a Christmas sale or the radio started playing carols this year. Since that barely postdates Halloween nowadays, that is quite an achievement!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft