User Tag List

MBTI
    EPIC

Default I had a stupid dream last night

So I'm sorta married. My wife and I got eloped last Christmas Eve in Reno to get a huge tax return to help fund the real wedding next month. No one we know knows about this. Everyone thinks we are still engaged and are getting married next month.

So anyway, my dream took place on our wedding date. Everyone was there ready for it. I was ready. However, I wasn't marrying my wife. I was getting married to this girl from my family's church. I don't even know her very well. Her name's Kacia. She's like 10 years younger than I am. My dream took place in the midst of the situation. I don't know how we came to decide this in the dream's past. But here I was going to get married to this girl and not my wife. I think in dream logic I couldn't get married to my wife twice and so we had to substitute this girl in, but everyone else thought I was really marrying this girl. Can you imagine that mess? Everyone thinking you are married to one girl when you are really married to another? Even Kacia was thinking it was real. I saw her all nervous and excited in her wedding gown in some room with other bride's maids sitting around her.

I started thinking of how I could get out of it. I can cancel it. But everyone was already there and expecting it. Everyone showed up and was excited. We invited them all. Plus it wasn't the real wedding. But I don't care, I don't want to marry Kacia. What does she even think about this? Does she even want to marry me? I don't think I even proposed to her. How did it come about that she thought she was marrying me? She got told by her parents? Maybe I can just talk to her and see if she wants to cancel it. I don't think she even likes me that much. It shouldn't be that hard. And then I can just get my wife to take her place. Yeah, there's no reason she shouldn't be able to take her place. There's no reason we can't get married twice. Why did we even decide to do it with Kacia here in the first place? Oh well. But my wife doesn't have her wedding gown here, just the purple one she's wearing to the dress rehearsal. Well, I guess that will have to work. I hope I can get this straightened out.

Then I woke up. The first thing that went through my head was, "oh, it was just a dream! It's not the wedding date. It's only July. Good, I have plenty of time to get this mess straightened out before the wedding date... wait, what am I talking about? The whole situation was just a dream. I'm marrying my wife. Good! I'm so glad. Stupid dream!"
    "I see you're drinking 1%. Is that because you think you're FAT? 'Cause you're not. You could be drinking whole milk if you wanted to."

Music listening habits

As a complete guess, you're not sure you want to go through with the big wedding in real life. You're also wondering if your wife is the best fit and if you know her as well at all.

MBTI
    EPIC

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    As a complete guess, you're not sure you want to go through with the big wedding in real life. You're also wondering if your wife is the best fit and if you know her as well at all.
    Definitely want to go through the real one. More for her since she's never had a real wedding (last wedding with her ex was at the courthouse). I'm looking forward to doing this for her.

But I know we aren't the best fit. Lots of differences. xNTP (me) and ISFJ (her). Lots of communication difficulties and minimal common interests. But, I love her.
    "I see you're drinking 1%. Is that because you think you're FAT? 'Cause you're not. You could be drinking whole milk if you wanted to."

Music listening habits

Doing it for her isn't really wanting it for yourself, is it?

MBTI
    EPIC

No, but I'd rather do it than not since I know she'd like it.

Music listening habits

ThatGirl

Is it possible that the way your wife is acting about the wedding is in a way that you think is a little off from how she normally is?

Maybe she is getting a little more excited, into it, symbolic with it, than you think she would have being that you guys are already married. Maybe to you its just for show, to her it means something, so you feel disconnected from the person you know she is?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Is it possible that the way your wife is acting about the wedding is in a way that you think is a little off from how she normally is?

Maybe she is getting a little more excited, into it, symbolic with it, than you think she would have being that you guys are already married. Maybe to you its just for show, to her it means something, so you feel disconnected from the person you know she is?
    This is sort of similar to what came to my mind when I read it. Like maybe she's acting like a different person because of the stress of the wedding planning? Or it could be just general anxiety about what could go wrong on the wedding day? Or maybe your subconscious is reminding you not to sweat the small stuff, since the only thing that matters is that it's the two of you getting married?

Oh oh, I thought of something else, too. What does the girl from your church represent to you? Is she symbolic of the type of girl your parents wanted you to marry? Maybe this is your subconscious' way of telling you to make it YOUR wedding, and not to give in too much to what they demand, since otherwise it won't be your wedding anymore?

It should really reflect the TWO OF YOU, and no one else, so don't let anyone else boss you around too much. It's YOUR wedding, so make it personal the way the two of you like it!!

What are your thoughts?

RDF

Lol. Just saw this thread and had to respond.

The dream sounds like a variation on the so-called “examination dream.”

The “examination dream” or "test dream" is one of the most common types of dreams: We show up for a test or exam in school, but silly obstacles get in the way of our taking the test. Freud wrote about this type of dream. He said that the dream itself is quite frustrating, but the underlying message is actually designed to reassure us. He said that the test involved is usually one that we’ve already taken and passed with flying colors in real life, and that the message of the dream is: “This challenge isn’t daunting; I’ve already shown that I can get through it once. So I’ll handle it again.”

In your case, that’s particularly applicable. Since you’ve already demonstrated your willingness to marry the girl irl, there’s no question of cold feet or lack of dedication to your wife; it’s already a done deal.

If this interpretation is correct, then the underlying message would be that you’re faced with challenges in life, and they're creating some anxiety for you; but your dream is reassuring you that you can handle them. Your dream is reminding you that you've already faced challenges before and surmounted them, and you’ll do so again.

Freud mentions this type of dream several times in The Interpretation of Dreams (1900a). The dreamer is embarrassed to see himself as an adult among much younger fellow students and obliged to retake an examination that he already passed a long time ago. "It would seem, then, that anxious examination dreams (which, as has been confirmed over and over again, appear when the dreamer has some responsible activity ahead of him next day and is afraid there may be a fiasco)" (1900a, p. 274). The meaning of the dream would be: "Don't be afraid of tomorrow! Just think how anxious you were before your Matriculation, and yet nothing happened to you" (1900a, p. 274).[...]

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/examina...#ixzz1T65BFOfV
    Edit: Congrats on your marriage by the way!

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

so like, are you going to divorce her later?