User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    type

^ Gah. A wise lady never presumes upon a man's intention. She simply lets time bear the burden of proof of his character. *flutters her fan wisely*

ya know, i think along with the loss of corsets, women also lost their manners, and men, similarly. *hand to forehead, aie me*
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

--T.S Eliot, The Wasteland

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by elfinchilde View Post
    ^ Gah. A wise lady never presumes upon a man's intention. She simply lets time bear the burden of proof of his character. *flutters her fan wisely*

ya know, i think along with the loss of corsets, women also lost their manners, and men, similarly. *hand to forehead, aie me*
    I beg to disagree. Fainting is a pleasure and a perogative we seldom engage in - we gave it up with the corsets. And if men are "teachable animals" as Huxley had it, what is it we are teaching them when we choose not to exercise that right?

Nay... Our mistake was not in teaching women to be strong... or in the lessons of the fairytales... our mistake was in not teaching little boys to be princes.

We gave up the binds of corsets for the binds of equality, and along with it, we lowered the expectations of what we wanted from men. Were they mutually exclusive though?

Mort. We've taken your thread, far, far away, though in an interesting tangent, I hope. A thousand apologies. *curtseys*

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    I beg to disagree. Fainting is a pleasure and a perogative we seldom engage in - we gave it up with the corsets. And if men are "teachable animals" as Huxley had it, what is it we are teaching them when we choose not to exercise that right?

Nay... Our mistake was not in teaching women to be strong... or in the lessons of the fairytales... our mistake was in not teaching little boys to be princes.

We gave up the binds of corsets for the binds of equality, and along with it, we lowered the expectations of what we wanted from men. Were they mutually exclusive though?

Mort. We've taken your thread, far, far away, though in an interesting tangent, I hope. A thousand apologies. *curtseys*
    weeeelll now, what's a lady have to do? *flutters in distress*

Ah. *lightbulb bings! above elfie's head*

C'mon ladies, allllllll together now, group swoon!

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

We'd best make sure there are enough males around to catch before we start swooning as a group. Otherwise MBTIc would be littered with the carcasses of disappointed hopes and injured females.

For that I propose in about 12 hours time, when more males are awake.

Best to take a namelist of the faintees and catchers too.

where's Mortie. Mister vodka boy needs to come back here to see what his corsets have done... (Though I hope the thread doesn't get split up )

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    We'd best make sure there are enough males around to catch before we start swooning as a group. Otherwise MBTIc would be littered with the carcasses of disappointed hopes and injured females.

For that I propose in about 12 hours time, when more males are awake.

Best to take a namelist of the faintees and catchers too.

where's Mortie. Mister vodka boy needs to come back here to see what his corsets have done... (Though I hope the thread doesn't get split up )
    yea. but in 12 hrs time i'll likely be in a sleep, not a faint. *prepares fluffy pillows on the ground in any event*

i always miss the fun.

Mister Absolut Hunk should likely be fast asleep and/or in a dead faint from lacing himself up too tightly when i suggested half breaths last night to see how the breathing would be like.

Why would it get split? Faints and corsets come together, don't they? plus, it's inextricably linked because of the aspect of corsets being part of cultural behaviour then, which is hence linked to cultural expectations now: the compare and contrast effect of behaviour in culture due to expectations/perspectives.

edit: besides: look at the thread title. we're perfectly on par for the 'other reasons why women don't faint' part in his OP.

*catches the dizzy elf* Okay, ladies, one per customer!

Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

^^ Are you walking towards the swooners or away?

'Cause if you're walking towards your gonna have to move a lot faster. Seriously, it's really straining to have to hold the 'swoon' pose for too long.

LOLZ.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    *catches the dizzy elf* Okay, ladies, one per customer!

i believe you're short of dust clouds puffing from behind your fleeing heels.

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    'Cause if you're walking towards your gonna have to move a lot faster. Seriously, it's really straining to have to hold the 'swoon' pose for too long.

LOLZ.

Totally agree. *stretches aching back for a moment* *offers a fluffy pillow to czecze*

question: standard victorian waist sizes would be in the region of 20-23 inches. with the corsets, 18 inches. What's the average american waist size now? And how small can one corset oneself to, such that daily movements etc are not impeded? i don't think asians make a fair comparison since we're naturally smaller.

side thought: ya know, when the waist is smaller, the bust is, by illusion, bigger.

and carebear: oops about the number of ribs. it's the floating ones i meant tho. that's why women can suck it in more than men. alternatively, we're just vainer.

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    ^^ Are you walking towards the swooners or away?
    i believe you're short of dust clouds puffing from behind your fleeing heels.
    Haha. I was getting out of Dodge!

I agree that the "run" emoticon is pretty weak. It looks like he's actually just taking a Sunday stroll instead of getting out of town ahead of the law, which is how he should look. I suggest that same smiley busting through a brick wall with a smiley-shaped hole in the wall. Like in a Road Runner cartoon. Dust clouds too!
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFP

and carebear: oops about the number of ribs. it's the floating ones i meant tho. that's why women can suck it in more than men. alternatively, we're just vainer.
    I think you have to go with the vainer explanation, because men have the floating ones as well.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA