User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    GONE

I concur with the Elfin's corset answer. I wore a modern 'whalebone' corset (you know the real kind that are meant not to go UNDER your clothes) and OMG if you tie it the way you are supposed to you can barely move, let alone breath.

Also, women in the 'olden days' of fainting wore A LOT of layers of clothing. It was heavy and binding and HOT. So on top of the corset already constricting their breathing, they had the extra stress of being overheated and overwhelmed (I'm guessing dehydrated as access to drinking water was more limited and the corseted class hadn't discovered the wonders of detox...practically bathing if you want to get nasty about it)

Further, medical practices in the West were borderline barbaric, especially in regards to childbirth and pre and post natal care. A lot of women were frankly at diminished capacity after their first child and it just went downhill from there. Especially the ladies who had 6 or more kids, I mean c'mon, with the exhaustion and stress of pregnancy and birth and lack of recovery/post care and all the extra effort just to walk and breath and add the extra hassles of cooking and cleaning and living -- yeah, I'd faint too. If only to get a brief respite.

I'm going to going out on a limb and also say that opiate drug use was more common and widespread in fainting days? They were especially given/bought my women as many narcotics were not yet illegal/controlled substances then.

Alright, more legitimate physical reasons to pass out?

Though, don't get me wrong, I like where Aelan and Elfie are taking the discussion as well, I just don't want to be remiss in answering the OP.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Good thread, Mort! Why is it so hard to find a woman that does a good faint anymore? Maybe I need to post in the "Turn-ons" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by elfinchilde View Post
    and ooh. Johnny Depp. *fans herself*
    Look out! She's gonna faint! (if only)

Men have 10 ribs, women have 12.
    Wait, so men are missing two ribs? Did Adam have something going on that Eve didn't know about? Or do women just have spare ribs?

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    Sleep tight !
    Ouch. That was really lame. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    Roberto Cavalli's corset designs off the runway:
    Not to carry this off topic, but runway models really scare me and creep me out. Just sayin'.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I concur with the Elfin's corset answer. I wore a modern 'whalebone' corset (you know the real kind that are meant not to go UNDER your clothes) and OMG if you tie it the way you are supposed to you can barely move, let alone breath.

Also, women in the 'olden days' of fainting wore A LOT of layers of clothing. It was heavy and binding and HOT. So on top of the corset already constricting their breathing, they had the extra stress of being overheated and overwhelmed (I'm guessing dehydrated as access to drinking water was more limited and the corseted class hadn't discovered the wonders of detox...practically bathing if you want to get nasty about it)

Further, medical practices in the West were borderline barbaric, especially in regards to childbirth and pre and post natal care. A lot of women were frankly at diminished capacity after their first child and it just went downhill from there. Especially the ladies who had 6 or more kids, I mean c'mon, with the exhaustion and stress of pregnancy and birth and lack of recovery/post care and all the extra effort just to walk and breath and add the extra hassles of cooking and cleaning and living -- yeah, I'd faint to. If only to get a brief respite.
    I'm going to going out on a limb and also say that opiate drug use was more common and widespread in fainting days? They were especially given/bought my women as many narcotics were not yet illegal/controlled substances then.

Alright, more legitimate physical reasons to pass out?

Though, don't get me wrong, I like where Aelan and Elfie are taking the discussion as well, I just don't want to be remiss in answering the OP.

at "I'd faint too".

Opiate use, possible. Interesting one there. I read before that the women would take belladonna (deadly nightshade) in small doses, as it causes pupil dilation, and physiologically, if you look at someone you like, your pupils dilate. So... it helped them hook the men from behind the fluttering fans.

I wore corsets for (nevermind), and even without the whalebones, the ribbons/lace stays were definitely constricting. It makes you walk more upright too.

Other physical reasons... I'd say, insufficient exercise too, so the overall body is just weaker, softer.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Martoon View Post
    Not to carry this off topic, but runway models really scare me and creep me out. Just sayin'.
    I had similar thoughts. These are not attractive women.

But I didn't say anything because just about everyone knows how little I care for the model look.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    I read before that the women would take belladonna (deadly nightshade) in small doses, as it causes pupil dilation, and physiologically, if you look at someone you like, your pupils dilate. So... it helped them hook the men from behind the fluttering fans.
    Wow. I knew about the larger pupils making someone look attracted, and thereby more attractive (the old Hollywood photos of Clark Gable and Betty Davis have the pupils airbrushed larger). But I never knew about the belladonna use.

Doesn't really surprise me, though, along with the torturous corsets, heavy clothing, etc. There weren't the various surgical options readily available like there are today, so women had to find other ways to abuse and mutilate themselves to keep the men interested.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

MBTI
    INFP

Men have 10 ribs, women have 12.
    Great piece of biblical fact, Elfinchilde. Too bad it's not also a scientifical fact.

Human rib cage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The number of ribs was noted by the Flemish anatomist Vesalius in 1543, setting off a wave of controversy, as it was traditionally assumed from the Biblical story of Adam and Eve that men's ribs would number one fewer than women's. (De humani corporis fabrica[1]) A small proportion of people have one pair more or fewer but this is unrelated to sex. Humans have seven rows of true ribs, each with its own connection to the sternum. Humans also have three rows of false ribs which connect to the ones above it. The last two rows, which don't connect to the sternum, are called floating ribs.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Martoon View Post
    Wow. I knew about the larger pupils making someone look attracted, and thereby more attractive (the old Hollywood photos of Clark Gable and Betty Davis have the pupils airbrushed larger). But I never knew about the belladonna use.

Doesn't really surprise me, though, along with the torturous corsets, heavy clothing, etc. There weren't the various surgical options readily available like there are today, so women had to find other ways to abuse and mutilate themselves to keep the men interested.
    :steam: I missed your post that slipped in between mine and Cze's.

because most men have trouble understanding what is a normal woman. Perhaps the self-flagellation both sexes do - men, in asking for mutilated women, and women in acceding to that says something.

Wolf, I do not find them attractive too. But googling, those were the first that came up. If you look at the Moulin Rouge style corseted women, I think you'd find those more attractive. I know I do.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

aelan: Unlikely.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    aelan: Unlikely.
    Good to know. I just wonder why being a normal woman doesn't seem to be enough though.

MBTI
    INTP

I fainted once after ingesting aspartame. That was the last time I ate or drank anything with aspartame in it. Vile stuff.

I just wonder why being a normal woman doesn't seem to be enough though.
    It is enough. Sad too many never figure that out.