User Tag List

123 Last

Oberon

Default Motorcycle Eye Candy

Hey y'all... did you know that motorcycles probably comprise the most eclectic collection of design and styling features ever assembled in a single class of device?

Really stirring stuff, truly. For example, I give you the Confederate Hellcat:

Are there motorcycles you love? Post your images here.

Oberon

The Norton Commando:

Oberon

Big Dog pseudo-chopper:

Oberon

2009 Suzuki Hayabusa:

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

And on the opposite side of the motorcycle-lust realm, we have this:

Honda 125cc motorbike gets 214 miles per gallon
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I approve of this thread.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    And on the opposite side of the motorcycle-lust realm, we have this...
    Oh, motorcycles get MUCH geekier than that. Consider the Cushman Model 53, as built for the US military? They don't come much uglier than this. However, any motorcycle that was parachuted into Normandy on D-Day has still got to be considered cool.

Oberon

Back on topic... pictured is a Brough Superior SS100. A superbike of its day, the Superior SS100 was capable of triple-digit speeds*... in 1929.

Adding to the coolness factor, it was a Brough Superior that T. E. Lawrence (a.k.a. Lawrence of Arabia) was riding when he had his fatal accident.

* EDIT: That's triple-digits in miles per hour, not kilometers per hour. Thanks to Architectonic for raising the point.
    Last edited by Oberon; 04-21-2011 at 09:32 AM.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

You know there's one minor detail about motorcycles that always fascinates me, and that is the position of the pistons relative to the position of the rider's body (read: the rider's nuts). It occurred to me when I noticed that my scooter's engine is pointed such that if the spark plug were to eject from its hole (with enough force to pierce the plastic seat), it would go between my legs but probably not hurt the privates. Tangental to that I think about other M/C engine layouts and consider that. The Brough Superior you listed looks particularly painful with that rear cylinder's position.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

Oberon

In that case, spirilis, the BMW R51 is the bike for you. As this 1938 example illustrates, the cylinders extend horizontally to the left and right of the engine, leaving one's reproductive organs safely out of harm's way... in any normal driving posture, of course.