User Tag List

First 567

Oberon

Here's a film classic... a replica of Burt Munro's highly modified 1920 Indian motorcycle, which which he set a class land speed record at Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah in 1962.

Of course this photo is with half the full fairing removed.

Oberon

Some of the modern cruiser styles show a great inventiveness of visual design.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Here's a film classic... a replica of Burt Munro's highly modified 1920 Indian motorcycle, which which he set a class land speed record at Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah in 1962.
    Awesome Oberon!

Sundance Buell Blast Super XR
    http://www.bikeexif.com/buell-blast

Strange fact for the day: there are only two Buell Blasts in Japan. Both were imported by Sundance—and this is the only one currently registered for street use. The bike was originally designed as a ‘comfy little around-town putt-putt’ for a famous Japanese TV comedian who collects oddball cars and bikes. Since rechristened Single XXXtasy, it’s based on a C&J flat tracker frame created for The Motor Company’s early millennial shorttrack and TT racing effort. The frame was assembled into a basic rolling chassis by Richard Pollock of Mule Motorcycles—a familiar name to those who follow the comments on Bike EXIF—and sent to Tokyo.

The color scheme is inspired by the old Goodyear Tire colors—blue and yellow. Originally, the stock-looking Evo-based engine was fitted with a Sundance-Keihin FCR carburetor and a hot cam. With the help of Sundance’s head porting, this took the 492cc single from around 34 to 43 hp.

A few years later the bike was bought by a friend of Sundance owner Zak Shibazaki. The friend cajoled Zak into playing Dr. Frankenstein, and he kludged Sundance’s Super XR billet cylinder and cast head onto the Blast’s lower end. It took a lot of effort, but Zak finally managed to get the top-end to fit. In the bargain, he swapped out the flimsy stock Buell flywheel for one with more torque-generating heft. The unusual positioning of the pushrod base tappets relative to the head also posed a bit of an engineering problem—as can be seen in the angling of the pushrod covers—but it worked out in the end. The engine now reportedly runs like a Swiss watch, but with considerably more power. Pumping out 58 hp, the owner has seen over 160 kph (100mph) on the expressways with plenty more on tap, but chickened out before finding out how fast it would go.

Not bad for a machine based on the much-maligned Blast. And no, Sundance has no plans to offer a kit version of this bike, or create another one. “It was done at a loss for a friend, and turned out to be too damned much work to ever want to do again.”

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Love me some German engineering.
    "Others should not judge what you truly are, instead you should find yourself. You may find yourself in a bowl of cereal or dreaming of the unknown, but make sure it is you who finds you." - Myself

ENTP
    Extroverted (E) 56.76% Introverted (I) 43.24%
    Intuitive (N) 64.29% Sensing (S) 35.71%
    Thinking (T) 62.5% Feeling (F) 37.5%
    Perceiving (P) 75% Judging (J) 25%

9w8 SP/SX
    Neutral

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Radical Ducati Corsa Evo
    http://www.bikeexif.com/radical-ducati-2

Radical Ducati is in the business of making good sportbikes great. The Spanish company produces top-drawer accessories and go-faster kits for most of the Ducati range, and the RAD 02 Corsa Evo is its latest release. The ‘02’ moniker means that it’s configured as a race or trackday bike. You can buy the bike complete, or as a kit. Either way, you’ll get a custom 4.2 kg aluminum frame, subframe and swingarm, plus assorted structural parts and the bodywork. To that you’ll need to add an engine, which in the case of the Corsa Evo is an 1100 unit. Updates from the original Corsa include a one-piece seat and tail unit to save weight, a lighter rear subframe and a redesigned front fairing. And if you think the RAD 02 looks too good to save for the track, you can get homologated parts such as taillights that allow the machine to be ridden on the road. Hermoso! [Images by Javier Fuentes.]

An-Bu Yamaha cafe racer
    http://www.bikeexif.com/yamaha-cafe-racer

In the port city of Nagoya, An-Bu builds stripped-back, edgy customs that manage to look both raw and slick at the same time. The small company is like a Japanese version of the Wrenchmonkees, with a similar knack of using stark color contrast to create high-impact bikes. This is one of An-Bu’s latest creations, a lovely Yamaha café racer. Although you’d never guess, it’s based on the GX400SP—an unassuming late 70s bike putting out just under 40 hp. The frame has been cut down at the back and the whole bike lowered on its suspension. The narrow tank and tire-hugging tail unit emphasize the 150-section rear hoop, a substantial jump in width from the original. An-Bu offers this bike in three versions: as a naked café racer, or with two different styles of fairing. (The fairings are replete with the usual Japanese penchant for odd, and in this case profane, graphics.) The bikes are completely refinished in matt black, with only the glossy red of the tank providing contrast. The perfect machine for blasting around under the neon lights of a Japanese city at night. Head over to YouTube for a video walk-around of the bike. [Via El Corra Motors.]

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

SE Service Slugger
    http://www.bikeexif.com/bmw-hp2-custom

Sweden’s Stellan Egeland is one of the world’s most innovative custom motorcycle builders. Like Belgian maestro Fred Krugger, Egeland is prepared to push the limits of styling and use as much modern technology as possible. His approach resulted in a podium finish at the 2009 European Championship Of Custom Bike Building—with the remarkable hub-steered Harrier—and his BMW HP2-based ‘Slugger’ is the follow-up.

‘When the Harrier was sold, I missed it so much that I decided to build a simpler version of it to have as my personal ride,’ says Egeland. ‘A friend of mine had a turbocharged Honda VTR in the 200 hp range that worked really well, so I decided to turbocharge the BMW HP2 engine.’ Things then got a bit out of hand, but the Slugger is still a daily rider rather than a showbike. An intercooler doesn’t usually look good on a bike, so Egeland has put it where the fuel tank usually sits, directing the airflow via a carbon fiber scoop. All the carbon fiber parts on this bike were originally prototyped in 2mm aluminum, and then molds were made to shape the carbon parts.

‘The original swingarm on the HP2 Sport has a pretty severe problem with wheelhop when downshifting hard,’ says Egeland. ‘So I made a new swingarm with a better geometry for the suspension.’ Apart from the carbon fiber, the milled parts and the wheels and drivetrain, everything on Slugger was made by Egeland in the SE Service workshop. ‘All the work was done at night and at weekends. It took five months—854 hours—but I got me one hell of a fun bike to ride!’

1963 Triton

The Triton is the stereotypical café racer—especially when painted in the iconic silver and black colors. So it’s getting harder to find one that impresses. This lovely machine fits the bill, though. It hails from France, and is owned by photographer Vincent Michel. The engine and frame are from 1963, although the Triton was originally put together in 1970. The frame is the slimline Norton featherbed, and the motor is a pre-unit Triumph 6T (Thunderbird), now fitted with later-model Bonneville heads. High compression pistons and a 3134-spec cam increase performance, along with Amal concentric carburetion. The finishing touch is the new paintjob, courtesy of Aerocolordesign. According to Frank Charriaut of the excellent MotArt website, this Triton is ‘fast, noisy, stiff, lightweight and racy. A true villainous motorcycle … the original cafe racer.’ Tout simplement délicieux.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

DP Customs ‘Look Right’
    http://www.bikeexif.com/harley-ironhead-3

DP Custom Cycles of New River, Arizona, is a relatively new shop, but one going from strength to strength. Their latest bike is ‘Look Right’, and it’s certainly a sharp looker—with styling cues taken from one of Jacques Villeneuve’s BAR Honda F1 racing cars. In the early 00s, BAR cars carried distinctive Lucky Strike branding, but this had to be modified in countries that banned tobacco advertising. In 2004, ‘Lucky Strike’ was replaced with ‘Look Right’, hence the name of this bike. Mechanically, we’re looking at a modified frame wrapped around a 1982 Harley ironhead 1000 motor. According to DP’s Justin Del Prado, ‘The project began with a complete tear-down of the bike and then we chemically stripped the frame. We ditched the swingarm and welded on the hardtail.’

This modification lowers and lengthens the bike by four inches. DP also fabricated a battery box, oil tank and seat mounts. ‘We made sure the electrical system was as discreet as possible for a clean, uncluttered look. All the wires and switches are new, even the keys.’ Most other parts are either new or reconditioned; a Keihin CV carb now sits on the intake side, and the exhaust system is custom-built. Everything that has degraded over time, including the fuel and brake lines, has been replaced. The wheels are 19” and 16” and powdercoated, and the seat is from Biltwell—but for me the pièce de résistance is that painstakingly crafted rear fender. ‘For an old classic Harley, this bike is fast and actually handles pretty good, especially with the Pirellis on there,’ says Del Prado. ‘It sounds really mean and the riding position is aggressive with our clip-ons and the seat location.’

Another top-notch job from a company that not only nails the look of its bikes, but also prices them right.

Suzuki GSX-R1100 streetfighter
    http://www.bikeexif.com/suzuki-gsxr1100

For most of the bikes we feature here, performance is relative. (There’s even the odd replica Grimeca drum brake.) There’s no true answer to ‘how much is too much’, but in the streetfighter world, you can never have too much. Most streetfighters leave me cold, but this one stopped me in my tracks. Probably because I’m a sucker for anything connected to Yoshimura, and builder Lee Workman is a kindred spirit. While wondering what sort of bike to build, ‘A poster of a Japanese-spec GSX-R750 R was on my wall, painted in the Yoshimura works colors of anthracite over bright red. The hand of inspiration smacked me across the chops, and the bike’s fate was decided. If Yoshimura was ever to build a streetfighter-cum-dragbike, then this is what I reckon it’d look like.’

Workman, who hails from the UK, grew up drag-racing at “Run What Ya Brung” public track days, but his previous machine was hamstrung by its short, road-friendly wheelbase. So he built this longer, more strip-friendly machine, using the frame from a crashed 1989 GSX-R1100. Despite the logos, the engine is a bit of a mongrel—part Wiseco big block, part Bandit 1200. It’s now 1340cc in capacity with heavily upgraded internals, including forged alloy pistons, Carillo rods and a lightened crank.

t’s clad with heavy-duty Yoshimura engine covers and then Workman added a Pro-Mod style Nitrous Express ‘wet kit’ to send the power output through the roof. (‘I had a bit of trouble getting the bottle through British customs,’ he notes.) The front end is from a GSX-R1000 and now sports oversize 320mm Galfer wave rotors. A modified swingarm stretches the wheelbase by 8”, allowing the bike to get its power down on the strip. The hand-beaten aluminum tank comes from an ex-Durex race team bike that competed on the Isle of Man, and the German-made bikini fairing houses an Aprilia RS250 lamp. The exhaust system is a genuine Yoshimura titanium duplex system.

So, is it quick? All I know is that Lee Workman’s previous bike would run the quarter-mile in a smidge over ten seconds—and this one is considerably more powerful.

Just went to The Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum a couple of weeks ago. It was pretty freaking cool.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Last edited by DiscoBiscuit; 08-04-2011 at 05:41 PM.

My motorcycle love started early!

"The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke