User Tag List

First 293738394041 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    This is really cool! Thanks, I love it. (Didn't know you were into prog!)

I'd love to hear the motivation behind your choice; it's easier to tell when songs have lyrics.
    You did it again. What is "prog"???

For you, I was hearing something that was sophisticated and modern, upbeat and energetic, abstract with a bit of playfulness. Almost went for electronic interpretations of Bach, but couldn't find a good one quickly, and this had a "fresher" sound. All in all, it was easier to hear people in instrumental pieces. Even for those I posted with vocals, it was the instrumental part that I associated with the member. It was almost as if that is how I hear your musical "voice".

Now for a few more (this is fun):

@andante

@greenfairy (you were hard - this is just a suggestion)

@Halla

@Nicodemus
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    You did it again. What is "prog"???
    Whoops! Allow me to correct that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_rock

In its most famous form, it's rock from the 70's-80's, generally British or American, with complex song structure (e.g. five-part sonatas, rock operas) and/or complex instrumentation (e.g. moog synthesizer, recorder, flute, zither) and/or hyper-literate song lyrics (e.g. "I produced my pistol/Then my saber/said 'Make no whistle/Or thou will be murdered!'" -The Decemberists). See: Genesis, Rush, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Jethro Tull, and -- you guessed it -- Mannheim Steamroller.

You could also call a band "prog" if they try to play rock music combined with another genre. For example, sometimes you hear about "progressive bluegrass" when bluegrass bands start playing non-traditional styles with the same instrumentation. (See: New Grass Revival, "Metric Lips" -- which would totally be a prog rock song if it was played with rock instruments.) Or, the reverse is true: if traditional rock music is played with unusual instrumentation. Which is why, in the seventies, some pop/rock groups got labeled as "prog" as soon as they got a keyboardist. Jazz rock and prog rock get confused all the time. Mannheim Steamroller might not even be prog! The definitions are so arbitrary.

(Geeky rant over; I hosted a prog rock radio show for two semesters in college, so I did a lot of research.)
    For you, I was hearing something that was sophisticated and modern, upbeat and energetic, abstract with a bit of playfulness. Almost went for electronic interpretations of Bach, but couldn't find a good one quickly, and this had a "fresher" sound. All in all, it was easier to hear people in instrumental pieces. Even for those I posted with vocals, it was the instrumental part that I associated with the member. It was almost as if that is how I hear your musical "voice".
    Interesting! Very Ni. Thanks for explaining it! I love hearing about Ni processes; they make so much sense within their own logic, but are nonetheless so foreign to me.

Edit: I love that you would have picked an electric version of a Bach piece. I relate to Bach's compositions on a much more intuitive level than I relate to other music; I'm not like some of the NFs and Ni-doms here who can get an intuitive attachment to music very easily, because usually I view it in terms of individual good-quality parts creating a good-quality whole, i.e. Si/Fi over Ne/Fi. But I just know that Bach must have been an STJ; every quote I've read of him has been extremely strict, linear, traditional, pious. More SJ than many SJs I know. And many of his keyboard compositions -- e.g. his inventions for the piano -- are so mathematical. And taking that very STJ format and making it a little more exciting and modern is almost the ideal of how I want to be perceived. So from my interpretation, it's a great compliment that you considered taking that route.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Interesting! Very Ni. Thanks for explaining it! I love hearing about Ni processes; they make so much sense within their own logic, but are nonetheless so foreign to me.

Edit: I love that you would have picked an electric version of a Bach piece. I relate to Bach's compositions on a much more intuitive level than I relate to other music; I'm not like some of the NFs and Ni-doms here who can get an intuitive attachment to music very easily, because usually I view it in terms of individual good-quality parts creating a good-quality whole, i.e. Si/Fi over Ne/Fi. But I just know that Bach must have been an STJ; every quote I've read of him has been extremely strict, linear, traditional, pious. More SJ than many SJs I know. And many of his keyboard compositions -- e.g. his inventions for the piano -- are so mathematical. And taking that very STJ format and making it a little more exciting and modern is almost the ideal of how I want to be perceived. So from my interpretation, it's a great compliment that you considered taking that route.
    Thanks for the explanation. Yes, this is almost all Ni-based. I think of someone and start to "hear" their music in my mind. It comes into focus, congealing into something familiar, which I then match to available samples, almost like clothing, until I get the right fit. For some people, that is almost immediate; others take a few more trials. I may be totally off for someone, but that's how it works.

I have always enjoyed Mannheim because of their fusion of modern instruments and styles with baroque-sounding themes, melodies, and even counterpoints. Check out this and this for examples that are especially baroque sounding. I have performed the first, and had it mistaken for Bach; and will probably play the second with a local recorder player soon.

If I had to name a single favorite composer, it would be Bach. The sheer volume and variety of music he composed just astonishes me. It is all different, all beautiful, and lends itself well to reinterpretation, alternate instrumentation, etc. (Plus, it is exhilarating to play.) I would have considered him an INTP, though, partly for the mathematical flavor of his music, and the thorough exposition of certain forms (e.g. Well-tempered klavier 1 and 2). His music is not linear (that's more Handel), and in his day was not that traditional, though it has now become the epitome of "classics". I read somewhere that, in his day. J.S. Bach was probably more like those who today hate Bach as "stodgy". STJs do use intuition, but our functions work together, not singly. I suspect Bach appeals to how you use your functions in concert (pun intended).
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

@greenfairy (you were hard - this is just a suggestion)
    I like it. I generally see myself as a little more upbeat and energetic (like Mozart), but it's a nice song. I can see it.

FigerPuppet

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

MBTI
    IsFJ

@Coriolis:

("Ternary Game", 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors)

@Tamske:

("Binary Game", 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors)

@BlackCat:

("Forensics - On the Job", Trauma Team)
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Not for any particular person. But this should be theme song for INTX...leaning towards INTP types.

It makes me think of Fagin in Oliver Twist.

I love it Cor! Thank you.... it makes me feel all NF-y, hehe.