User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Ask Ivy!

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Hmm. What if he gets a choice? Not the choice to take the meds, but something else about it. Like you could buy one of those medicine flavoring kits (I've seen them in Walmart, they have like 5 or 6 tiny bottles of flavorings to mix in with meds) and offer him the choice of which flavor to use. Somehow, I sense you've tried this already or something like it, but that's all I've got.
    We don't have those flavouring kits around here, but we did try to give him the choice of which drink to mix the medicine with. He just looked at us like we were being particularly dumb that day

When I've had to force an unwilling child to take a necessary medicine (which I hate to do, but y'know, if they have to take it they have to take it) a quick puff of air in their face causes a reflexive swallow. So if you can get it in his mouth and then blow a little puff of air in his face, he'll swallow it and he may be so surprised that he forgets to be mad. Not likely, but it could happen! Right?
    Quite frankly, I wouldn't care about him getting mad, if I could get him to swallow the stuff You gotta choose your battles, and him not getting mad pales in comparison to him taking his meds.

I'll try to remember that trick for next time, anyway, thanks!

(And I'll keep hoping his insane good health keeps holding until we can actually reason with him )

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    Do you answer techy posting questions? Like how to segment a quote to respond to parts?
    I'm not very techy but I do know this one. In the reply window, notice that before the quoted material there is a tag that reads [ QUOTE=User;postnumber ] without the spaces. And after the quoted material is another tag that reads [ /QUOTE ]. Basically, you just need to make sure to get those tags around each segment.

What I do is copy the opening tag with the user's name in it, brackets and all, and paste it at the beginning of each segment. Then I copy the closing tag with the /QUOTE in it, brackets and all, and paste it at the end of each segment.

Does that make sense?
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

skin tags: I haven't tried this, but my sister-in-law gets them off with a piece of thread. I guess you just wrap it around the tag and pull the thread taught and off they come. Sounds a bit painful, but it's definitely cheap.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

I'm not very techy but I do know this one. In the reply window, notice that before the quoted material there is a tag that reads [ QUOTE=User;postnumber ] without the spaces. And after the quoted material is another tag that reads [ /QUOTE ]. Basically, you just need to make sure to get those tags around each segment.

What I do is copy the opening tag with the user's name in it, brackets and all, and paste it at the beginning of each segment. Then I copy the closing tag with the /QUOTE in it, brackets and all, and paste it at the end of each segment.

Does that make sense?
    Perfectly! You're smart! thanks bunches.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    Quite frankly, I wouldn't care about him getting mad, if I could get him to swallow the stuff You gotta choose your battles, and him not getting mad pales in comparison to him taking his meds.
    That's exactly how I feel. I'm willing to try any sweet method I can think of, but if they don't work, I'm not going to hem and haw about forcing it. I just remembered also that Dr. Sears recommends making a "cheek pocket" and depositing the medicine in there while you hold the kid lying down. It trickles back and they have to swallow it. I seem to remember doing that and doing the blow trick at the same time with my son, a particularly skilled medicine-spitter.

FLAVORiT Home Flavoring Kit by FLAVORx - CWI Medical There's the flavoring kit if you want to try ordering it online.

MBTI
    INFJ

That's exactly how I feel. I'm willing to try any sweet method I can think of, but if they don't work, I'm not going to hem and haw about forcing it.
    Unfortunately, my ENFJ husband and I being the bleeding hearts that we are, we DO have a problem with going to extreme measures to force it I don't think we've ever managed to get ourselves to actually wrestle our son down, for example. Not to mention that he's always been insanely strong, and even at 5 years of age, he could easily hurt us badly when in a rage

I just remembered also that Dr. Sears recommends making a "cheek pocket" and depositing the medicine in there while you hold the kid lying down. It trickles back and they have to swallow it. I seem to remember doing that and doing the blow trick at the same time with my son, a particularly skilled medicine-spitter.
    Sounds as complicated as catching a 12-foot alligator or something !

FLAVORiT Home Flavoring Kit by FLAVORx - CWI Medical There's the flavoring kit if you want to try ordering it online.
    Yo, thanks!

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Yo, thanks!
    NAVY TERM!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Unfortunately, my ENFJ husband and I being the bleeding hearts that we are, we DO have a problem with going to extreme measures to force it I don't think we've ever managed to get ourselves to actually wrestle our son down, for example. Not to mention that he's always been insanely strong, and even at 5 years of age, he could easily hurt us badly when in a rage
    Hey, I totally understand. I don't LIKE forcing a kid to do something, it has just always seemed to me that once you decide you have to do that, it's best to go ahead with it confidently (even if you're not) and as lovingly as possible, and just get it over with. But I remember having to get a urine sample from my daughter when she was 14 months old and too young to pee in a cup- they had to catheterize her, she fought it (who could blame her? it was scary and it probably hurt, since she already had a UTI) and I nearly cried. Now I'd ask for a banana bag, but I didn't know about those at the time.

So,

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

What is a skin tag?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Where is a good non-bar place in the suburbs to meet single women?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"