User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Oh my god.... that SUCKS! I had one that died in the middle of the night. I got up at like 2am, stumbled around trying unsuccessfully to re-set it. This went on for maybe 30 minutes. I couldn't get it to stop beeping, so I put it outside. My poor dog was traumatized by the high-pitched noise and had to sleep in bed with us the rest of the night. I can't imagine if it had gone on for 3 WEEKS!
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Is there anything the apartment management can do? No one should have to endure that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I don't think you should be expected to maintain batteries in TEN fire alarms for one apartment (Seriously, what were they thinking with that?!)....that seems like a thing that the apartment people should do, especially since you rent. Those things are expensive. Have you complained to them yet?
    It's sort of a small and poorly managed apartment complex. Theres a nice lady named Patty who handles everything for the landlord. She has no idea how to do anything, how to fix anything, or really... anything useful. Theres also a nice maintenance man named Steve. There is no formal way to contact Steve when you need something fixed, and asking Patty to contact Steve results in..... nothing. We had a broken toilet in the old apartment for 7 weeks, because we just kept calling Patty. One time we ran into Steve outside and told Steve about it, and it got fixed in 2 days. I haven't seen Steve to ask him. Theres a nice guard named Elliot. Elliot likes me because, according to him, I am the most mature tenant here and I cause the least problems for him because I'm quiet and I keep to myself. I decided 2 weeks ago that I was going to ask Elliot to come in and figure it out. I haven't seen Elliot on duty for the past 2 weeks. He was supposedly going to quit in March. I guess he left early?

I keep hoping I'll run into Steve. I think Steve is my last hope.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    Oh my god.... that SUCKS! I had one that died in the middle of the night. I got up at like 2am, stumbled around trying unsuccessfully to re-set it. This went on for maybe 30 minutes. I couldn't get it to stop beeping, so I put it outside. My poor dog was traumatized by the high-pitched noise and had to sleep in bed with us the rest of the night. I can't imagine if it had gone on for 3 WEEKS!
    I tried to rip one out of the ceiling.

Thats how I found out they're all hard wired together.

If you yank one of them out of the ceiling, the other 9 start BLARING LIKE THERE IS A GODDAMN FIRE.

beep
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Beep.

I think I have it narrowed down to 2-3 alarms that it could be. But I replaced the batteries, and I still hear the beeping.

I have gotten a diagram of my apartment from the website and indicated with red dots where each of the fire alrarms are located. The bedroom in purple is where my computer and my bed is, thus where I spend 90% of my day. I have indicated with pink circles which alarms I believe could be the culprits, and whos batteries I have changed.

I realize after much sound-testing that one of the problems Im having is that Bedrooms 1 and 2 are COMPLETELY empty, making the sound echo in the rooms I guess, making it sound louder than it actually is. This is really throwing me off, because the sound is more muted in rooms that contain furniture.

~

figsfiggyfigs

LOL, I remember you telling me about this a while back.

You should just buy a pack of new batteries, and replace them all.

ORR

you can get a battery tester or a cheap voltmeter to test all the batteries on your alarms, and replace the weak ones.

Tips and basic info on batteries.

Whoah! That's one safe apartment!

Take a book and sit under each one until the next beep. At 40 seconds between, it shouldn't take long to systematically isolate the perp!

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Whoah! That's one safe apartment!

Take a book and sit under each one until the next beep. At 40 seconds between, it shouldn't take long to systematically isolate the perp!
    Ive been doing that. I'm just having a really hard time because of my hearing problems. Some of the rooms it sounds louder because they're empty and the sound is echoing. The only way I can really tell is to stand on a chair and get my head right next to the fire alarms, which is how I have it narrowed down to 2. But my only chair swivels and I have no balance. I have fallen a grand total of 6 times now.

~

figsfiggyfigs

Call the fire department and ask them about it, explain the situation and the fact that you're hearing impaired.

Maybe they'll be willing to help. :/

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I changed the batteries in the loud ones though!

BUT STILL

beep

beep

beep

beeep

beeeeeeeeeeeep

~

MBTI
    yupp

omg I would have set my apartment on fire so the beeps would have been justified.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so