User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Apparently, research has shown that happiness comes from the fact that we feel we're better off than others...so it's not that odd.

So if you for instance own a porsche and the guy next door does too...it doesn't make you feel half as good as if he were to own pretty standard guy.

I find it a really twisted view on the world, but apparently it's in our nature...
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ISFJ

It might not be of much worth when someone is down but it's something I like to bear in my mind at all times. Not because I owe something to anyone or anything....but I owe it to myself to stop moping about whatever it is and just get practical and try being happy and take advantage of the time and opportunities I have and stop worrying about the things I can't change.

Kinda like when you're a kid and you have things that worry you and then when you become an adult they start looking silly. Perspective.

heart on fire

^ Yes, but many things that bother us as children do so because of our relative powerlessness in the world and dependence at the time, but we forget this when we get older.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I have yet to find something that genuinely cheers me up besides time..
    Oh, don't lie. You know my disembodied voice cheers you up.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTJ

Some things in life are bad
    They can really make you mad
    Other things just make you swear and curse.
    When you're chewing on life's gristle
    Don't grumble, give a whistle
    And this'll help things turn out for the best...

And...always look on the bright side of life...
    Always look on the light side of life...

If life seems jolly rotten
    There's something you've forgotten
    And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
    When you're feeling in the dumps
    Don't be silly chumps
    Just purse your lips and whistle - that's the thing.
    I see it more along the lines of killing any form of self-pity I have for myself. If I lost my job while the guy next to me is a Ugandian refugee who had his entire family raped and slaughtered, yet in spite of that is a good guy, I'm more likely to get over it and stop my own unjustified whining. It allows me to look on the bright side as well as to refocus my emotions from a feeling of sadness to helping the poor sap next to me. In my case, I'll be far too focused on my obsessive view of justice to focus on anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Kinda like when you're a kid and you have things that worry you and then when you become an adult they start looking silly. Perspective.
    Keep in mind that most people tend to idealise the past when they no longer have to deal with it. Really, it's actually pretty disturbing. They did a study in which they asked high school students whether they've ever contemplated suicide and an uncomfortable amount of them answered "yes". They asked these same students the question as adults and an impossible amount answered "no". No doubt that some of these are the same people who remark upon those experiences as the "best years of their life" and view their childhood as fairly worry free.
    Surgeons replace one of your neurons with a microchip that duplicates its input-output functions. You feel and behave exactly as before. Then they replace a second one, and a third one, and so on, until more and more of your brain becomes silicon. Since each microchip does exactly what the neuron did, your behavior and memory never change. Do you even notice the difference? Does it feel like dying? Is some other conscious entity moving in with you?
    -Steven Pinker on the Ship of Theseus Paradox

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
    I see it more along the lines of killing any form of self-pity I have for myself. If I lost my job while the guy next to me is a Ugandian refugee who had his entire family raped and slaughtered, yet in spite of that is a good guy, I'm more likely to get over it and stop my own unjustified whining.
    Agreed. I don't think anyone's ever said "you've got it better than so-and-so" to cheer me up as much as to remind me that it might be wise to chill out with the complaining and start being grateful for what I do have.
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Martoon View Post
    Never really got that one. You're having a bad day, and someone says, "Hey look. That guy's life really sucks!" It'd be pretty twisted if that made you happy.

Also, by iterative reduction, there's got to be some poor sap, somewhere on the planet, who has no one he can refer to that has a suckier life than his. What do people tell him?
    It sounds really, really bad when you say it like that for some reason.

I usually hear it as, "Cheer up! You're better off than a lot of other people!"

It means exactly the same thing, but somehow doesn't seem as bad. I don't know why...

Although I do have to admit, nothing is more irritating than seeing someone else happy when I'm down in the dumps. I half hope to see them brought down to my level. "Misery loves company" is sadly quite true.

MBTI
    INTP

Also, by iterative reduction, there's got to be some poor sap, somewhere on the planet, who has no one he can refer to that has a suckier life than his. What do people tell him?
    "Do you realise how happy you make everybody on the planet feel?"
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    yupp

Never really got that one. You're having a bad day, and someone says, "Hey look. That guy's life really sucks!" It'd be pretty twisted if that made you happy.

I might be inclined to go, "yay, you're life sucks aswell I'm not alone" then I'd buy us both ice cream. Though ice cream won't solve the shit storm our lives happen to be at the moment, it will get our minds off our problems. Or you know what I'm buying us a handle of whiskey.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so