User Tag List

First 404849505152 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    No there isn't.
    Yes there is. As of 2002, at least 39 studies had shown that religiosity is inversely proportional to IQ.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

^Oh snap. *does a dance*

MBTI
    ENTJ

Oh wait, am I allowed to be in here? (I'm a theist.)

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Oh noes and I thought we was right whole times.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastMohican View Post
    Yes there is. As of 2002, at least 39 studies had shown that religiosity is inversely proportional to IQ.
    There are numerous flaws with many of these studies. Then let's not forget the fact that correlation does not equal causation. Not to mention numerous other questions are begged.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    I have to admit I laughed when I saw this. Although that seems to be an odd mix of Traditionalist and "Liberal" positions. Even then, still doesn't necessarily prove any of those arguments wrong.

There are numerous flaws with many of these studies. Then let's not forget the fact that correlation does not equal causation. Not to mention numerous other questions are begged.
    Yes proof by assertion! The studies were flawed! I don't present evidence for the fact that they are flawed but they just are because I don't agree with the studies! Please present evidence or that statement is empty.

Yes, correlation does not always imply causation, which is why I had considered the nature vs. nurture argument but came to no valid conclusion.

Numerous begging the question fallacies? Where did you get that from? Elaborate please. Where is circular reasoning being applied in any of these 39 studies?

Also noted, the nature of said studies are likely very slightly in favor higher intelligence in non-religiousness. Studies are always that way, stating that say, 5% more atheists are highly intelligent than the religious or something. It is in no way in favor of saying that all religious people are dumb, it would be stupid to assume such a thing, there are tons of highly intelligent christians out there, it just seems the proportion is just slightly in favor of the non-religious. This also has no bearing on the validity of either worldview.

MBTI
    ENTJ

How do you know what flaws the studies might have?

It is true that correlation is not necessarily equivalent to causation, on the principle that instead of a causing b or b causing a, c could cause b and a, or the correlation could be a coincidence. In this case, however, causation seems hard to avoid. What you propose the elusive c might be for these statistics?