User Tag List

First 394748495051 Last

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Newton was an atheist.
    There's a lot of evidence that Newton was an occultist and mystic. At the very least he seems to have been more of a freethinking believer than a atheist.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    There's a lot of evidence that Newton was an occultist and mystic. At the very least he seems to have been more of a freethinking believer than a atheist.
    Yeah, immediately after I had wrote that I realized that I was confusing Newton with Galileo.

I have never studied Newton in great detail, so then I assumed that he was most likely a deist, but apparently I was wrong in that assumption as well.

It happens.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

heart on fire

Yeah, immediately after I had wrote that I realized that I was confusing Newton with Galileo.

I have never studied Newton in great detail, so then I assumed that he was most likely a deist, but apparently I was wrong in that assumption as well.

It happens.
    Easy enough to confuse. I do things like that too.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I know it is impossible to prove, or disprove the existence of god.

But I am not concerned with absolute proof, rather, I am concerned with discerning the most probable truth.
    "God? Man can believe the impossible, but can never believe the improbable!"

(Oscar Wilde)

---

Note that if you seek it, this quote is generally amputated, its first word being usually removed. Can you guess why?

Anyway, for what it's worth, here's my contribution to this thread. I guess that everything has already been said about atheism in more than 48 pages...

I do not believe in God because:

1) The word "God" seems to have no practical meaning.

2) "What you claim without proof, can be disproven without proof"

3) God is a useless concept even when you need to explain the universe
    "Dieu? Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse!" (Pierre-Simon de Laplace)
    in English -> "God? I have no need of this hypothesis!"

4) The question of the existence of God doesn't stir up my interest. I do not understand what it is supposed to mean.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    `

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Sniffles

Galileo was a devout Catholic. One or more of his daughters became a nun. He even wrote a treatise where he referred to theology as the "queen of the sciences". He was also on very good terms with the Pope, who actually supported his scientific research.

Newton was a very unconventional "Christian", but perhaps it should be mentioned that many of his closest scientific associates whom he communicated often with were Jesuits.

Sniffles

there is probably a positive correlation between Agnosticism and intelligence.
    No there isn't. And there are several problems with even trying to prove such an assertion. Namely the complex nature of belief systems, and the fact religious belief comes in endless forms. At best you can prove that certain forms of religiousity correlate with low intelligence, and others with higher intelligence.

And if there was an actual correlation: it still would not prove that religion is actually wrong.

Not only that, but allow me to add another twist to the equation. Let's say that there is such a correlation. Ok, but what are the exact attitudes of such people towards religion? Disbelief in religion doesn't necessarily equate to disrespect towards it. In fact it's quite common for atheists/agnostics to hold many aspects of religion in high regards, despite personal disbelief. Voltaire was no friend of religion, yet praised how the Catholic faith inspired people to do great deeds for the sake of others. I myself used to be such an atheist.

Which leads me to my main point, the issue is far too complex to make such blanketed statements.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    Edit: Also, you hear these stories of people who are taught to be religious at a young age and over time discover that it is bullcrap (George carlin is a great example), this leads me more to the Nature side i guess..
    You also hear stories of people who were never taugh much religion in their childhood and yet later on became religious. You also hear stories of people raised in religious enviroments, then rejected those teachings, only to later revert back to those teachings.

There's literally an endless variety of stories concerning peoples' religious experiences. So trying to reduce it to "nature or nuture" is bullshit.

Seriously, you people are presenting the weakest possible arguments in favor of atheism.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Oh my, Catholicism!!!!

`

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Oh my, Catholicism!!!!

Did I miss something?