User Tag List

First 27353637383947 Last

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    .So, God is personal, and he is working to fix our problems.
    Lol, my mother believes this too, and her problems have... miraculously persisted.

My mother is also the least accountable person I know, everything is part of God's plan, Jesus will fix everything, blah, blah, blah.

"God made me do it", what an absolutely ridiculous yet cleverly irrefutable excuse used by those who lack character, self-awareness and integrity.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Isn't one type of Suffering being in Pain for an extended period of time? There is also Psychological suffering, which seems to be much more 'painful' than real physical pain itself.

Wait, why are we talking about suffering?

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

For most people, their belief in a god helps alleviate their suffering.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Well that is if they don't take the extra step in the thought process and realize that God is actually the cause of their suffering.

I walked away from my very very very programmed into my brain christian faith.

My folks pray for me everyday to come back around and every sunday invite me to church but I think now that I feel like I've "seen the light" I can't go back into the darkness that is religion.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by findthejake View Post

My folks pray for me everyday to come back around and every sunday invite me to church but I think now that I feel like I've "seen the light" I can't go back into the darkness that is religion.
    Definitely. But I do feel bad telling the Jehovah's witnesses that I'm an athiest. I find it funny how they say that I can't be 100% sure that I am, to which I said, "Then how can you have 100% faith in your god?" Then they laughed. Sigh.

I'm sure I'm an athiest, and every other athiest I've met is like, "Yeah, me too... But sometimes I wonder... Don't you?" No! I'm past the wondering. Is it really that hard for some people (and 'athiests') to get past what they've been told? Jeez.
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.

Yeah exactly. I do all my thinking at once, *sometimes that once is over the course of a few years* but once I decide then i'm done with it. Especially with something this heavy.

MBTI
    Zzzz

*peaks about*

Little Linguist articulated my longstanding thoughts for me. Phew!

This thread, for the most part, is amusing.

Gods exist, however they're perceived as being. In the mind.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Occasionally I wonder... but in the same way I wonder about the best plan of action for a dragon attack during PE class. (Actually, probably less thorough than my dragon-attack-in-PE survival plan... how about on the level of my do-vampires-urinate
    ruminations.)

I'm glad this thread is still alive though. I wish I had more to add, but there isn't much to say... not much to say about not believing in a fiery hell, not much to say about not trying to launch a holy war to save people's souls, not much to say about not trying to put religion into terms that I can try to describe everyone as religious, etc.

And thank you sassafrassquatch for sharing your experiences.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    He can fix my problems by giving me a steak and a blowjob.
    Will a steak and a blow job make you lastingly happy? If you had an infinite supply of steak and sex, would you never get tired of it? This reminds me of an episode of the Simpons where Homer goes to hell, and the demons force him to eat a huge pile of doughnuts as a form of torment--but Homer thinks it's the greatest thing ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Come on over to the wish thread. You may get faster service, albeit more surly. (Excepting the OT God.)
    God could have left mankind alone. You're a theist, right? Would you rather God not act in history in order to make himself known?

There is pain and there is suffering, and though suffering is indeed painful, not all pain necessarily qualifies as that of being a manifestation of suffering.

Given your examples, your depth of understanding regarding suffering falls, lol, painfully short.

Suffering, ugh, I cannot linearly describe what it is and what it means.

To be continued, I guess....
    What a tease!

Should you have some insight that I lack, I would love for you to share it with me. (And I did say there were worse things than my examples--just look at what happened to Job.)

"God made me do it", what an absolutely ridiculous yet cleverly irrefutable excuse used by those who lack character, self-awareness and integrity.
    We all make choices, and, insofar as we choose, we are free to choose do the right thing. If someone wants to do the right thing, he will. If someone wants to do the wrong thing, he will. If you did something wrong and you wanted to do it, then blaming God in order to escape moral responsibility doesn't work. It didn't work for Adam in the garden, and it doesn't work now.

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    Isn't one type of Suffering being in Pain for an extended period of time? There is also Psychological suffering, which seems to be much more 'painful' than real physical pain itself.

Wait, why are we talking about suffering?
    All forms of suffering are painful. And I agree psychological suffering can be much more painful than physical suffering. Physical suffering depends on the body, and the body--with its nerves and pain processing centers--can be destroyed, effectively limiting the amount of physical pain that can be inflicted; however, the pain caused by purely psychological factors doesn't depend on the existence of neurophysiological impulses and is potentially limitless.

I brought up suffering up because Sass asked what practical difference, if any, the existence of God would make for our lives. He seems to be wrestling with some popular views of God that don't give satisfactory answers to the problem of evil/pain/suffering and make God unknowable or unworthy of worship.

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    Well that is if they don't take the extra step in the thought process and realize that God is actually the cause of their suffering.
    God is the first cause, not the proximate cause.

Quote Originally Posted by findthejake View Post

If you don't mind my asking, what point(s) of the faith do you find incredible?