User Tag List

First 23313233343543 Last

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Iím sure I posted this somewhere but itís probably buried in one of these threads.

I was raised southern Baptist with premillennial dispensationalist eschatology. Which is the basis for those Left Behind books. You know, rapture, nonchristians left behind, antichrist, seven years of hell on earth, Armageddon, all that stuff. So I grew up in constant fear of Christís return because I was too shy to say the magic words to get saved until I was 13. I thought I would have to survive the great tribulation on my own and either gets saved during the tribulation and have my head cut off by the antichrist or take the mark of the beast and go to hell for eternity.

I was also home schooled which combined with my natural shyness has left me with some difficult social anxiety issues. When I was little I had to go to church every week and the old fucks there seemed to take great pleasure in tormenting the shy kid trying to get me to talk. Since I wouldnít talk to them my dad would take me outside and spank me. Thatís some Pavlovian shit right there.

So Iím just a little pissed off at Christians and by extension all religious people who make this bullshit socially acceptable.
    I'm sorry that you had to be exposed to, and tormented by such lunacy and abuse.

FWIW: You rock!!!!

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    You are an NT, I am an NF, and I think this is why I have more "issues" with this, than you.

Also, I think it is important to speak up about it, because in doing so, perhaps more lurking atheists will come out of their closets too!!
    True, but I didn't specify what kind of reason. Sometimes it doesn't take much. When I was a naive teenager, I never shut up about it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Iím sure I posted this somewhere but itís probably buried in one of these threads.

I was raised southern Baptist with premillennial dispensationalist eschatology. Which is the basis for those Left Behind books. You know, rapture, nonchristians left behind, antichrist, seven years of hell on earth, Armageddon, all that stuff. So I grew up in constant fear of Christís return because I was too shy to say the magic words to get saved until I was 13. I thought I would have to survive the great tribulation on my own and either gets saved during the tribulation and have my head cut off by the antichrist or take the mark of the beast and go to hell for eternity.

I was also home schooled which combined with my natural shyness has left me with some difficult social anxiety issues. When I was little I had to go to church every week and the old fucks there seemed to take great pleasure in tormenting the shy kid trying to get me to talk. Since I wouldnít talk to them my dad would take me outside and spank me. Thatís some Pavlovian shit right there.

So Iím just a little pissed off at Christians and by extension all religious people who make this bullshit socially acceptable.
    I had a similar experience, believe it or not. And I'm pissed about it too. It was fucked up. I'm basically an agnostic at this point but I haven't found all religious people to be as fucked up as the ones in the cult I was raised in.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    As is obvious to most, religion isn't for everyone. Spirituality does not guarantee character; nor does a lack of it suggest immorality. This is again an obvious point.

What is less obvious (at least to me) is the architecture people establish centered around religion - as a physical representation. Something they can touch; interact with; accept and/or reject.
    Agreed.

Aggressive theists are just as toxic as their atheistic analogues. Force-feeding one's perspective as a representation of singular truth is to attack the fabric that Atheists and Theists mutually enjoy.

Freedom.
    FREEDOM?!?!?!?

Hell no, theists submit to slavery.

"Aggressive theists are just as toxic as their atheistic analogues."

I disagree.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ESFJ

Yeah, ignorance is bliss, and devout and dogmatic ignorance is potentially lethal, and definitely detrimental to society at large..

And a "smile" does not equate to happiness.
    No, it doesn't equate necessarily, but some of those people are amongst the nicest and sweetest you will ever meet. I did some volunteering in high school with Project H.O.M.E. here in Philly (my uncle is very active, an anarchist and advocate for the homeless), and that is run by a Catholic nun. You're sounding dangerously close to declaring all religious people ignorant.

Self-confrontation is one of the most difficult tasks that most people, due to its inherent difficulty, fail to do.

My mother suffers and finds solace in praying and believing in Jesus Christ, great for her, sometimes it works, but oftentimes it doesn't.

When I suffer, I confront the source of my suffering and I diligently work at trying to solve/understand the source of my suffering.
    That is admirable, but faithful people wrestle with a lot of doubts, too.

I disagree whole-heartedly!!!

I am accountable for myself and my actions, many, if not most, theists, disregard such personal accountability.
    That is not necessarily so. There is a major difference between believing in a Higher Power and disavowing the importance of being a good person. This sounds like a caricature.

I value human beings and view life to be a precious and limited commodity, I am absolutely averse to murdering, cheating, lying to or harming anyone, regardless of their religious creed/beliefs.
    This sounds familiar. Almost like a list of things people are commanded not to do. Where have I heard this before?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I had a similar experience, believe it or not. And I'm pissed about it too. It was fucked up. I'm basically an agnostic at this point but I haven't found all religious people to be as fucked up as the ones in the cult I was raised in.
    I agree with, I think it's Sam Harris, who says it's the fluffy bunny liberal spiritual people who create a candy coating around the shit nugget of fundamentalist nuttery making it palatable to society. To say that some faiths are ok while others go too far makes no sense. By what measure are faiths weighed against each other? If faith is allowed then everything is permissible.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

FREEDOM?!?!?!?

Hell no, theists submit to slavery.
    How can you submit to slavery? Isn't it by definition an unwilling role? In BDSM, the sub isn't a slave, though they may playact as one. He or she has freely given his will to the dom.

Not that I want to sex up Jesus or anything.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I agree with, I think it's Sam Harris, who says it's the fluffy bunny liberal spiritual people who create a candy coating around the shit nugget of fundamentalist nuttery making it palatable to society. To say that some faiths are ok while others go too far makes no sense. By what measure are faiths weighed against each other? If faith is allowed then everything is permissible.
    I don't see how you can blame liberal theists for the actions and attitudes of toxic fundamentalists. What you say may be true, and it's unfortunate that wolves put on sheep's clothing to get a pass, but it's still the wolf's fault.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

"FREEDOM?!?!?!?

I disagree.
    The sum of your collective insight in this thread establishes that you enjoy freedom of choice, in terms of personal belief.

You can't disagree.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I remember going to see The Passion of the Christ dressed as a Roman soldier.

No, not really.