User Tag List

First 22303132333442 Last

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    My understanding of the word god being in quotes is that the word is an empty box. People take the word god and use it to describe all the various and sundry creatures from the anthropomorphic Zeus and Yahweh to the deistic unconscious, impersonal, ineffable force thing that created the universe.
    Yes.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    While I agree with your premise, pure_mercury, methinks we lack context into the specifics of sass's apparent pain.
    Perhaps you're right. I would gladly read the reasoning. I myself went through 13 years of Catholic school (altar boy and everything), but was a skeptic at a young age. I don't wish to burn down churches.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Perhaps you're right. I would gladly read the reasoning. I myself went through 13 years of Catholic school (altar boy and everything), but was a skeptic at a young age. I don't wish to burn down churches.
    There are a few I wouldn't mind graffiti-ing up pretty good.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Perhaps.

Provide me with some legitimate source as to why my usage was incorrect, and I will happily concede to your being right here, and my being wrong.
    Perhaps is fine, I'm not a finisher. *gives self low-five for subtlety*

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

More often than not in this thread, we are in approximate agreement.

Like you, I was raised with a religious backbone firmly in place. Like you, I believe religion is fundamental to the continuity of a communal culture (I glean that's your angle).

As is obvious to most, religion isn't for everyone. Spirituality does not guarantee character; nor does a lack of it suggest immorality. This is again an obvious point.

What is less obvious (at least to me) is the architecture people establish centered around religion - as a physical representation. Something they can touch; interact with; accept and/or reject.

Aggressive theists are just as toxic as their atheistic analogues. Force-feeding one's perspective as a representation of singular truth is to attack the fabric that Atheists and Theists mutually enjoy.

Freedom.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    More often than not in this thread, we are in approximate agreement.

Like you, I was raised with a religious backbone firmly in place. Like you, I believe religion is fundamental to the continuity of a communal culture (I glean that's your angle).
    I won't even go that far. Love of religion and love of nation have caused countless wars and strife for mankind. HOWEVER, those loves can only do such things because people are, frankly, stupid and prejudiced anyway. They will always find things to argue about.

As is obvious to most, religion isn't for everyone. Spirituality does not guarantee character; nor does a lack of it suggest immorality. This is again an obvious point.

What is less obvious (at least to me) is the architecture people establish centered around religion - as a physical representation. Something they can touch; interact with; accept and/or reject.

Aggressive theists are just as toxic as their atheistic analogues. Force-feeding one's perspective as a representation of singular truth is to attack the fabric that Atheists and Theists mutually enjoy.

Freedom.

Some people need religion in their lives. Some people don't, but believe anyway. Some of us don't need it and don't believe. We all deserve respect.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Love of religion and love of nation have caused countless wars and strife for mankind. HOWEVER, those loves can only do such things because people are, frankly, stupid and prejudiced anyway. They will always find things to argue about.
    I think I just figured it out. People need a reason to kill each other; If they don't have one they'll invent it. Religion, nationalism, racism, gang activity, etc.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    I don't really care about promoting atheism or if theists and atheists come to an understanding. Religion is my white whale and for hate's sake I will spit my last breath at it.

I want to see the vatican turned into an art museum.

I want to roast marshmallows over the smoldering coals of the last church.

I want to wipe my ass with pages of the only remaining bible.

When faith is universally regarded to be as absurd as Santa Claus and the tooth fairy I will be a very happy guy.
    LOL. I wish I had the balls to say what you do, sass!!!

Some faiths are more founded than others, but no faith should be regarded as truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    It's easy to be an atheist. I don't tell people unless I have a reason, and there's more of us every day in the Western World. Cake.
    You are an NT, I am an NF, and I think this is why I have more "issues" with this, than you.

Also, I think it is important to speak up about it, because in doing so, perhaps more lurking atheists will come out of their closets too!!

This makes you sound like a very unhappy person. Say what you will about the devoutly religious, they smile a lot.
    Yeah, ignorance is bliss, and devout and dogmatic ignorance is potentially lethal, and definitely detrimental to society at large..

And a "smile" does not equate to happiness.

Self-confrontation is one of the most difficult tasks that most people, due to its inherent difficulty, fail to do.

My mother suffers and finds solace in praying and believing in Jesus Christ, great for her, sometimes it works, but oftentimes it doesn't.

When I suffer, I confront the source of my suffering and I diligently work at trying to solve/understand the source of my suffering.

That is fine, but it doesn't make you better or worse than religious people. Your actions define what kind of person you are.
    I disagree whole-heartedly!!!

I am accountable for myself and my actions, many, if not most, theists, disregard such personal accountability.

I value human beings and view life to be a precious and limited commodity, I am absolutely averse to murdering, cheating, lying to or harming anyone, regardless of their religious creed/beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Being proud of your morals is NOT the same thing as being proud of your atheism.
    NO.

My atheism is both part and parcel to my moral beliefs.

I am a moral atheist, I am both strongly morally and rationally opposed and outraged by many/most religions and people's belief in a benign, all-knowing, anthropomorphic god.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Iím sure I posted this somewhere but itís probably buried in one of these threads.

I was raised southern Baptist with premillennial dispensationalist eschatology. Which is the basis for those Left Behind books. You know, rapture, nonchristians left behind, antichrist, seven years of hell on earth, Armageddon, all that stuff. So I grew up in constant fear of Christís return because I was too shy to say the magic words to get saved until I was 13. I thought I would have to survive the great tribulation on my own and either get saved during the tribulation and have my head cut off by the antichrist or take the mark of the beast and go to hell for eternity.

I was also home schooled which combined with my natural shyness has left me with some difficult social anxiety issues. When I was little I had to go to church every week and the old fucks there seemed to take great pleasure in tormenting the shy kid trying to get me to talk. Since I wouldnít talk to them my dad would take me outside and spank me. Thatís some Pavlovian shit right there.

So Iím just a little pissed off at Christians and by extension all religious people who make this bullshit socially acceptable.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

If a particular theist's morals are similar to yours, why would you be outraged that they insist on believing in something you consider dumb? In other words, who cares unless their religion dictates morals that make them bad people in your estimation?

If you're saying that having religion at all makes them bad people in your estimation, well, I think that's crazy talk.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii