Enneagram

This is reminding me of one of my favorite blogs:

The “Blog” of “Unnecessary” Quotation Marks
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Yeah, precisely, his delivery and style are entirely irrelevant, what is relevant, however, is the *content* of his ideas/propositions and the *reasoning* and *evidence* he uses to explain/support them.
    No, CaptainChick. Dawkins's ideas and reasoning are irrelevent. The issue is whether or not Dawkins is a self-satisfied, cocky jerk, and on that matter his delivery and style are exactly what is relevent. That was what pure_murcury wrote about in his post, nothing was said about Dawkins's ideas or reasoning, and I have previously stressed that I agree with Dawkins on many matters. You have twisted the words of those who you are responding to beyond all recognition if you think that Dawkins's ideas and reasoning are the issue.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

No, it was ironic.

Quotation marks can be used to indicate so-called and supposed truths.
    Irony

Another important use of quotation marks is to indicate or call attention to ironic or apologetic words. Ironic quotation marks can also be called scare, sneer, shock, or distance quotes. Ironic quotation marks are sometimes gestured in oral speech using air quotes:

My brother claimed he was "too busy" to help me.

Quotation marks indicating ironic use of a term should be used with care. Without the intonational cues of speech, they can obscure the writerís intended meaning. They can also be confused easily with direct quotations, so some style guides specify single quotation marks for this usage, and double quotation marks for verbatim speech.
    This was my intended use of the quotation marks.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ESFJ

Irony.
    Where is the irony? There is nothing ironic about putting the word 'God' in quotation marks (hehe), would you also put 'unicorns' or 'fairies' in quotation marks? If you do not really mean God when you write '"God"' then what do you mean? How should I take the word 'God' ironically? The ironic sense would usually refer to someone who poses as a God when in fact they are not, so the title of this thread states that in atheisia the people who pretend to be Gods do not exist, which leaves open the question of whether the Gods actually exist. The quotation marks are clearly used incorrectly because they do not correctly communicate your intent.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Taken form Jamie Whyte's, "Crimes Against Logic":

If the minister has indeed shown the allegations to be wrong there is nothing feeble about that. I should say that the minister's "refutation" was feeble. The quotation marks around "refutation" make it clear that I do not intend to claim that is was a real refutation. He did not actually show the allegations to be wrong; it was merely an alleged refutation. If I were speaking instead of writing, I might register my skepticism by saying "refutation" with a sneering tone or adopt the now popular gesture of wagging the first two fingers of each hand beside my ears like a demented rabbit.

There is usually nothing confusing about this use of quotation marks. It is an economical device for saying that the so-and-so referred to by the word in quotation marks is only an alleged or a so-called so-and-so
    `

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by reason View Post
    No, CaptainChick. Dawkins's ideas and reasoning are irrelevent. The issue is whether or not Dawkins is a self-satisfied, cocky jerk, and on that matter his delivery and style are exactly what is relevent. That was what pure_murcury wrote about in his post, nothing was said about Dawkins's ideas or reasoning, and I have previously stressed that I agree with Dawkins on many matters. You have twisted the words of those who you are responding to beyond all recognition if you think that Dawkins's ideas and reasoning are the issue.
    Um, what is this thread about?
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    FTFY

FTFM

Yeah, that is pretty much what I was talking about. I am not a believer, but stuff like that is just being a jerk. It does nothing to promote your cause or foster understanding between people.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by reason View Post
    Where is the irony? There is nothing ironic about putting the word 'God' in quotation marks (hehe), would you also put 'unicorns' or 'fairies' in quotation marks? If you do not really mean God when you write '"God"' then what do you mean? How should I take the word 'God' ironically? The ironic sense would usually refer to someone who poses as a God when in fact they are not, so the title of this thread states that in atheisia the people who pretend to be Gods do not exist, which leaves open the question of whether the Gods actually exist. The quotation marks are clearly used incorrectly because they do not correctly communicate your intent.
    If people believed that unicorns allegedly existed in the cloud forests of Venezuela, yeah, I would refer to such "unicorns" as, well this: "unicorns".
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Taken form Jamie Whyte's, "Crimes Against Logic":
    Even if by some fault of the fabric of our very universe you were right, you've still gone and blown it by putting "do not exist" right after it, removing any need for quotation marks.

My understanding of the world god being in quotes is that the word is an empty box. People take the word god and use it to describe all the various and sundry creatures from the anthropomorphic Zeus and Yahweh to the deistic unconscious, impersonal, ineffable force thing that created the universe.