User Tag List

First 18262728293038 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I still always get a whiff of self-satisfied jerk-ness whenever I read anything of Richard Dawkins. Whenever I see the term "Brights," I cringe.
    Seconded.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Thirded!
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Fourthed

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Out of the four people who commented on Dawkins I think I'm the only one who could be in any way considered a Christian, and most mainstream Christians would laugh long and hard about that.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I still always get a whiff of self-satisfied jerk-ness whenever I read anything from Richard Dawkins. a religious person. Whenever I see the term "Brights," "spiritual", I cringe.
    FTFY

FTFM

MBTI
    ESFJ

sassafrassquatch,

The objection to Dawkins and the term 'brights' has nothing to do with any particular ideas or beliefs. Even if I agreed with Dawkins and the brights about everything (and there is already much which we agree on) then I would still second pure_murcury's comment, because Dawkins does come across as a self-satisfied jerk and the term 'brights' is cringe inducing. That is not to say that either has a monopoly on these qualities, and there are people of all stripes who share them. In fact, you seem to be venturing close with your last couple of posts.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Sure, Dawkins is a cocky Dick, but that doesn't detract or take away from his pristine reasoning skillz.

I am currently reading his book, The God Delusion, and it is so frighteningly good, I just don't know what to do with myself.

I partially read Sam Harris', The End of Faith, and it too, was good, yet his writing style was not necessarily my cup of tea.

While reading Dawkin's book, however, I find myself laughing out loud, engrossed in agreement, and marking every other page with underlined notes of, wow, this is awesome.

Dawkins is not referring to Eastern "religions" such as Confucianism, Buddhism, and Daoism in his book, for those are more life philosophies than your standard theistic religions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel very lucky that two of my closest friends are atheists, because being an atheist in today's society is a rare and looked-down upon thing.

Deism is slightly more tolerable than theism and pantheism more tolerable than deism.

A friend of mine, who also happens to be an atheist, was telling me last night that my support for atheism was no different than someone's support for their God or religion.

Such is not the case, I think.

I firmly believe that all living things eventually die, with no pending afterlife awaiting them, I also firmly believe in *accountability*, and respect for truth.

I am a nature enthusiast, and find myself more often than not marveling at the beauty, and "simplexity" of life and the universe in which we are fortunate enough to live/witness/experience.

It sucks that we are allowed to say such things as, slavery is wrong, belief in Scientology is retarded, and yet to ridicule and "call out" Christianity for all its myriad flaws is just one major NO-NO!!!

Televangelists are honestly some of the most despicable human beings on the planet, and their supporters, are nothing but sad, sad, FOOLS!

Life is hard, the truth can hurt, and horrible shit happens and can and may happen to you or someone you love dearly. Those who can understand and embrace these tragic truths without succumbing themselves to belief in the world's most favorite panacea, an imaginary god, are truly noble and reasonable creatures.

I look at genocide as a horrible act of maniacal and weak human beings and as an extension of the ugliest parts of human nature, *not* as part of one of "God's" great plans, ugh!!!

Must people need some external source of power in order to be decent human beings?!?!??!?!

I need no such God thing to know what's right from what is wrong, to inspire me to be a good human being to myself and to others.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I just love that you have "gods" in quotes in the title. Are all atheists bad grammarians? J/K I'm an atheist with excellent grammar usage.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Sure, Dawkins is a cocky Dick, but that doesn't detract or take away from his pristine reasoning skills.
    Neither does it add to them.