User Tag List

First 17252627282937 Last

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

So today in entomology class we discussed insects in regards to their roles as parasites and as disease vectors.

Well, I knew I was *not* in for a visual treat when we starting talking about bot flies depositing their larvae into mammalian hosts. Long story short, there was a slide with perhaps six different images of squirrels, (half of which were babies), infested with these bot fly larvae. And not only was I sickened, and horrified by these images, but, ultimately, they made me sad.

F.Y.I. The squirrels can, and do die from these infestations.

:sad:

Stuff like this, that is entirely separate from "human evil" still makes me firmly believe that there is no god.

Ugh, if only you could see how yucky these pictures were, but the fact that they portray a *reality* made looking at them that much worse.

Competition, predation, disease, and death are *not* pretty things.

So, yeah, nope, I cannot believe in the existence of a god.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INXP

Of course, we'd be knee deep in squirrels if they didn't die from stuff like that. Further, we'd be knee deep in squirrel corpses if there weren't things to eat the remains.

It's sure ugly though, like you say.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Of course, we'd be knee deep in squirrels if they didn't die from stuff like that. Further, we'd be knee deep in squirrel corpses if there weren't things to eat the remains.

It's sure ugly though, like you say.
    Of course, of course.

There is a natural order of things, but part of this natural order of things is well, is disgusting, in my opinion.

The fact that such disgustingness exists, in my opinion, negates the posssibility that a god so too exists.

*Also I do realize from the bot flies' perspective that the situation is not only *not* disgusting, but that it is actually a beneficial one.
    `

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Of course, of course.

There is a natural order of things, but part of this natural order of things is well, is disgusting, in my opinion.

The fact that such disgustingness exists, in my opinion, negates the posssibility that a god so too exists.

*Also I do realize from the bot flies' perspective that the situation is not only *not* disgusting, but that it is actually a beneficial one.
    Here's another to add to that. Every human alive, you, me etc. We all have a handful of mutated genes. Some of them kill us by giving us genetically linked diseases... many do not, or have unknown causes. A good number, it appears, are why we get cancer. So... why does this all happen? Well, of course, it is how we have, and continue, to evolve. It's also good "non-god" thought-proof, in the sense of a God that is busy creating humans.

Evil doesn't necessarily negate the existence of a God. There's always the option of dystheism, believing in god(s) that are evil. By the time people realize that any God that would allow this shit to continue would have to be evil they've already fallen off the hay wagon.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

^ Interesting, I've never heard of that, but to be a "dystheist", at least to me, would be more or less the same as that of being a theist.
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Eutheists, which most theists are, usually have a list of bullshit rationalizations for why the shittiness of life is necessary or good for us because God has a plan. A dystheist, who is still a theist, would tell you that life sucks because God is a prick with a magnifying glass and we are his ant farm.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. - Susan B. Anthony

If I were not an atheist, I would believe in a God who would choose to save people on the basis of the totality of their lives and not the pattern of their words. I think he would prefer an honest and righteous atheist to a TV preacher whose every word is God, God, God, and whose every deed is foul, foul, foul. - Isaac Asimov

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. - Anonymous

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca the Younger

I have observed that the world has suffered far less from ignorance than from pretensions to knowledge. It is not skeptics or explorers but fanatics and ideologues who menace decency and progress. No agnostic ever burned anyone at the stake or tortured a pagan, a heretic, or an unbeliever. - Daniel Boorstin

The finality of death is the coldest truth one must face. Religion makes the perfect distraction. - Anonymous

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion. - Robert Pirsig

Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense. - Chapman Cohen

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. - Frater Ravus

Gods dont kill people. People with Gods kill people. - David Viaene

Properly read, the bible is the most potent force for Atheism ever conceived. - Isaac Asimov

We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further. - Richard Dawkins

History teaches us that no other cause has brought more death than the word of god. - Giulian Buzila

Religion does three things quite effectively: Divides people, Controls people, Deludes people. - Carlespie Mary Alice McKinney

A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it. - David Stevens

God should be executed for crimes against humanity. - Bryan Emmanuel Gutierrez

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. - Stephen Roberts

Be thankful that you have a life, and forsake your vain and presumptuous desire for a second one. - Richard Dawkins

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins

Atheism leaves a man to sense, to philosophy, to natural piety, to laws, to reputation; all of which may be guides to an outward moral virtue, even if religion vanished; but religious superstition dismounts all these and erects an absolute monarchy in the minds of men. - Francis Bacon
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ESFJ

I still always get a whiff of self-satisfied jerk-ness whenever I read anything from Richard Dawkins. Whenever I see the term "Brights," I cringe.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"