MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I asked these jellyfish if they thought Jesus died for their sins

They declined to comment.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    I read it when I was a Christian and at the time thought it was very convincing.
    I am curious to know, what made you stop believing in God? I apologize if you find this question personal, please dont feel obligated to answer it if you do.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    basically, i dont understand how people discuss the existence of the metaphysical. how are suppositions formed when there ultimately is no "if" to put before the "then"?

this goes against my style of thinking, so i want to learn more about the how and why behind the thinking of people who are capable of participating, considering i have a difficult time doing the same. it is something i often wonder about, any insight would be appreciated...
    Dude, this thread is a discussion on the physical, and not the metaphysical!!!

If you are interested in understanding the metaphysical, I'd suggest you peruse another thread.
    `

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    Zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale
    right... again not really referring to this thread, just the argument in general. this seemed like a good opportunity to bring up my questions.
    Heh. Sorry, didn't notice your post to CC. It is a good opportunity. Keep on asking. I wrote more to your questions but I realised it might not be appropriate here AND I've noted CC's new post lol Make a new thread if you want and we + others can carry on from there. Just don't title it with Religion, please

And sorry CC! I became so focused here I forgot your other thread where you called on meee!

Quote Originally Posted by LaFeeVerte View Post
    I was very open minded when I read it. I wasnt a christian before I read it. One of my family members recommended it to me and I was very reluctant about reading it. I thought it was going to be another book written by a hardcore christian trying to press their beliefs on you. But it wasnt. C.S. Lewis did a wonderful job presenting the facts as they were and putting his insights on them. After I read that book, I couldnt honestly say that a God didnt exist. But that is only my experience with it. I'll leave it up to people to read it and make their opinions about it.
    It's good that you'll leave it up to others. My next question is: are you open that you might be wrong? Or that you might change your mind again or in future?

Quote Originally Posted by LaFeeVerte View Post
    I am curious to know, what made you stop believing in God? I apologize if you find this question personal, please dont feel obligated to answer it if you do.
    The number of versions of Christianity and the inability to distinguish which one is correct if any. Christians read the same bible, prays to the same God and come to completely different conclusions. I decided that if God is so incapable or unwilling to communicate effectively he is either inept, apathetic or nonexistent. I figured nonexistence was the most likely pending further evidence.

MBTI
    Zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    The number of versions of Christianity and the inability to distinguish which one is correct if any. Christians read the same bible, prays to the same God and come to completely different conclusions. I decided that if God is so incapable or unwilling to communicate effectively he is either inept, apathetic or nonexistent. I figured nonexistence was the most likely pending further evidence.
    Hey. They don't all read the same bible. They've got lots of different ones, different versions from different periods with different translations, which are different yet can be somewhat similar. All conflict though.

(I'm not completely convinced they pray to the same God...)

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    i think that arguing over the existence of anything that exists, by definition, outside of our universe (in every sense of those words) is a lot like insisting on trying to build a house without concrete, wood, tools, etc.

for there to be a point to it, first we'd need to find a way to gather evidence on the subject (impossible, by definition of the subject)... why everyone skips this step seems to suggest that it's more about arguing than actually proving anything.

if someone could explain what ends could be reached in such a discussion then id feel more inclined to participate
    i know, right?

that's why I'm the way that I am. Can't prove/disprove, might as well live life assuming non-existence like all the other things i can't prove/disprove (invisible pink unicorns etc. etc. etc.)

I hate how some people use religion to justify their own morality and goodness and whatnot too.

I'm an atheist and I do way more for charities and volunteer work than any of my religious friends.

but i'm going to hell.

why can't people just be nice to one another and use all this brainpower to solve poverty and hunger instead of bickering about which fairy tale is better?

I hate how some people think they're moral because some pseudo-enlightened state they delude themselves into from some nonsense religion. The easiest person to fool is always yourself.

I don't care who think you are, I care what you *do* as a person.

Sorry i'm kind of incoherent from a combination of nyquil and bourbon. Carry on
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I feel like such a pussy, if only I had the balls to write what I really felt about regarding 85&#37; of Christians.
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by DeliriousDisposition View Post
    Heh. Sorry, didn't notice your post to CC. It is a good opportunity. Keep on asking. I wrote more to your questions but I realised it might not be appropriate here AND I've noted CC's new post lol Make a new thread if you want and we + others can carry on from there. Just don't title it with Religion, please
    hehe... regardless of the fact that it was related enough, the discussion in this thread (and this entire forum, really) isnt predisposed towards any single poster's purposes.

anyways, not difficult for me to start a new thread, i will do so later this weekend. thank you for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    The easiest person to fool is always yourself.
    wisdom of the day!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    i know, right?

that's why I'm the way that I am. Can't prove/disprove, might as well live life assuming non-existence like all the other things i can't prove/disprove (invisible pink unicorns etc. etc. etc.)

I hate how some people use religion to justify their own morality and goodness and whatnot too.

I'm an atheist and I do way more for charities and volunteer work than any of my religious friends.

but i'm going to hell.

why can't people just be nice to one another and use all this brainpower to solve poverty and hunger instead of bickering about which fairy tale is better?

I hate how some people think they're moral because some pseudo-enlightened state they delude themselves into from some nonsense religion. The easiest person to fool is always yourself.

I don't care who think you are, I care what you *do* as a person.

Sorry i'm kind of incoherent from a combination of nyquil and bourbon. Carry on
    No need for apologies!!!!

Even while drugged and incoherent you make a helluva lot more sense than most "lucid" people can, or do.

Suddenly, I find myself desiring the metaphysical, namely that of telekinesis, so I could prey on an inebriated nemo...
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles