User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    OMNi

Default Why do I care what an idiot thinks?

For some reason I have this habit of ending up in arguments with people who are...cognitively limited. I get in a disagreement with one of these people and even though I know they just aren't that smart and they probably can't understand what I am talking about, I'll continue to try to convince them of my argument. Why do I even care? So what if they don't understand, that isn't my fault, so why do I relentlessly try to convince them? It's so frustrating that I would waste all that energy and I don't even know why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    INFP

Take a passive approach to "teaching". You don't have to change anyone's mind. Just step back from the situation.. Be understanding and end the conversation on a pleasant note, no matter how it is received.

MBTI
    INFP

I dunno mate. But it's probably better than my approach - which is to encourage them to expound at length on just how wrong they are. Interested body-language, timely and neutral questions, making all the right noises. I know they're wrong, but somehow it never occurs to me to correct them. I guess I just find people's wrong opinions much more interesting than their right opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    For some reason I have this habit of ending up in arguments with people who are...cognitively limited. I get in a disagreement with one of these people and even though I know they just aren't that smart and they probably can't understand what I am talking about, I'll continue to try to convince them of my argument. Why do I even care? So what if they don't understand, that isn't my fault, so why do I relentlessly try to convince them? It's so frustrating that I would waste all that energy and I don't even know why.
    Out of curiosity, do you have any particular examples or anecdotes that you will be willing to describe?
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    INTj

It's pretty simple. You always need to be right, and you want to convince everyone of that.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

at least you aren't just arguing with them because you're bored and like to get thier hackles up!

Are you really disturbed by thier ignorance? or do you just want to be the one who's right?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I sure wish I had the answer for this one, as well as, how to change the way I talk to accomodate communication with them. Haven't been able to solve either and beat myself up thinking I "should" be able to. I guess, in my case, I knock my head against a wall because of the kind of relationship I have with them. I really care about them and what happens to them. In other cases, I actually do care what they think of me and can see they think I'm "weird" so, if I can get through, it will change that opinion of me... like "lightbulb moment." But I almost always fail so don't have an answer.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    It's pretty simple. You always need to be right, and you want to convince everyone of that.
    Yes and no... not everyone... but if I love them and see them on the tracks with a train bearing down on them.... ya damn betcha I wanna prove I'm right when I tell them to jump off.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you have any particular examples or anecdotes that you will be willing to describe?
    Oh there are many, both online and off. The one that has me steamed at the moment is this redneck anarchist from Montana who literally overgeneralizes everything and who argues about points that people aren't even discussing. It's a task even listening to him, and even though he is an obvious idiot, which has been shared with me by even the people who share his views, I can't help but argue with him relentlessly about anything political or philosophical, even if I don't really care all that much about the topic.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    If that is the case, then how can I stop doing that?