• >20 (am I the only one?)

1 4.00%
First 1234 Last

Thread: Rush

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    His chords aren't worn out. All voices get deeper with age. I'm a singer so I have experienced it first hand. And yes, I LOVE RUSH! PROBABLY MY FAVOURITE BAND OF ALL TIME. I HAVE ALMOST ALL OF THEIR ALBUMS, BUT THEY HAVE SO MANY I AM STILL WORKING ON IT! EVERYTHING THEY DO IS AWESOME! I JUST RECENTLY SAW THEM IN CONCERT IN AUGUST OF LAST YEAR AND IT WAS THE BEST CONCERT I'VE EVER SEEN! ALSO, THEY ARE COMING BACK TO MY HOMETOWN IN APRIL AND I BOUGHT TICKETS FOR THEM YESTERDAY! LONG LIVE RUSH! and I like In Flames, Tool, Primus, Godsmack (pretty much every other band mentioned so far)
    Where do you live? I'm trying to get into one of the Florida shows.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Where do you live? I'm trying to get into one of the Florida shows.

"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INFP

Albums owned... yes, albums (I've used them and abused them):

Permanent Waves ("Different Strings" is one of my very favorite songs ever)
    Moving Pictures
    Exit Stage Left
    2112 (first song "2112" on first side = best song ever, next to "Different Strings")

Neil Peart is amazing drummer... one of the best. I've seen Rush in concert twice in my life.
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I saw them in concert last summer and I was blown away, even though they aren't my favourite band in general.

I don't own any albums but if I was less of a broke student I'd buy some....really. I like most of their work, and a few songs a lot. My dad has every single album they've done...and that is a LOT of them.

MBTI
    xNTP

Prog rock is one of my guilty pleasures.

I don't currently own any Rush albums but have owned several throughout the years. I had Moving Pictures, some sort of compilation that my brother made for me and the Stick it out (???) album. Also I was tempted to by the album that had Summer Time Blues on it.

MBTI
    INTP

Good for you for picking the right song to encapsulate their music. Although, I guess that's their best known and biggest "hit."

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    I may be the only person on Earth that loves Rush and thinks Primus is one of the worst bands in history.

I like Tool okay, but they're too funereal for me to listen to on a regular basis. I've never heard of In Flames, but now I feel like I should check them out.
    I'll co-sign that. Not much for Primus at all. Tool's OK but I find a lot of their songs feel like they're just getting started. Six minutes in I'm still waiting to get off the intro cords and kick in but it never happens.

I will put in a plug for one group I heard and immediately feel in love with, Acroma. They have the same producer as Tool and you can hear some similarities. I actually had my music all the way down on my Pandora station but something told me to turn it up. Came in two-thirds through the song Orbitals and within a few seconds stopped everything I was doing and thought, "Wow, these guys are jammin'!" After the second or third time I heard the song I bought the album off Amazon, paying more for the shipping than the album itself. A couple of years later and I still rock it any given day. Still crushed that they're defunct. Would love to hear what these guys would do after three or four albums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Permanent Waves ("Different Strings" is one of my very favorite songs ever)
    I'm always amazed at what some people's favorite Rush songs and albums are. Someone who loved Farewell to Kings, which I thought was odd until somebody said Caress of Steel was their best album. I hate to say Moving Pictures because it's got all their hitz but it's pretty solid. Vital Signs is my favorite unsung Rush song.

I do have quite a few albums. As in vinyl. Fly By Night, 2112, Farewell to Kings, Signals, Grace under pressure, Power Windows, Exit...stage left, Moving pics, what else??? I'd gotten a few cassette tapes along the way, too. They're all in my parent's basement now. I prolly have 1/2 doz cd's, or something like that.

I saw them twice, wait, maybe three times. The first might've been the best. It was fall of '83 for their Signals tour. (Height of their career? Anyone???) Then again for Power Windows and maybe Hold Your Fire tour.

Hold Your Fire was the first Rush album I liked fewer songs than I disliked. Then they turned into Ozzy where they'd have only one good song on the album and the rest all suckt. I don't know, something about them changed. It's like they went from astute observations to kinda knowitalls or something. Wasn't even excited by just the music either.

I guess in mentioning they'd still rank as one of my all-time favorites but if I never saw them again, I'd be cool with it. Saw them lead off a show with Spirit of Radio, saw them do into Overture & Temples of Syrnix from 2112, saw Neil throw his drumstick 30 feet up into the rafters, catch it and continue playing w/out skipping a beat and saw Geddy go from double neck bass/guitar to keyboards and back again on Xanadu. So, literally been there, got the T-shirt, can die w/dignity.

*Urg, but I never saw Triumph!

MBTI
    INFP

I have always loved 2112! Anyway, the reason I really enjoyed Different Strings was because of the lyrics. The music was good, but the lyrics meant something to me personally. I was young and going through a difficult relationship with a sensor (and now I know why). Need I say more?
    -Sandy
    Enneagram 4w5

MBTI
    INFP

Triumph! I wished I could have seen them. (loved them!)
    -Sandy
    Enneagram 4w5

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    Prog rock is one of my guilty pleasures.

I don't currently own any Rush albums but have owned several throughout the years. I had Moving Pictures, some sort of compilation that my brother made for me and the Stick it out (???) album. Also I was tempted to by the album that had Summer Time Blues on it.
    Counterparts.

Ah the cover album. I have that'n too.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by spartan26 View Post
    I will put in a plug for one group I heard and immediately feel in love with, Acroma.
    Approve++;

They have the same producer as Tool and you can hear some similarities.
    I hear it. They have the same kind of miniature whiplash effect.
    I'm always amazed at what some people's favorite Rush songs and albums are. Someone who loved Farewell to Kings, which I thought was odd until somebody said Caress of Steel was their best album. I hate to say Moving Pictures because it's got all their hitz but it's pretty solid. Vital Signs is my favorite unsung Rush song.
    Moving pictures doesn't get old either. Every time I listen to YYZ there's something new I don't remember from before. Of course, I honestly see many of their songs really getting stale but I have a love/hate relationship with some of them like Test for Echo and One little victory (the heavy, driving openers for their 90s albums). Though, now I'm (actually right now) listening to the solo of the former and it's really quite excellent. Lifeson throws in a great number of intricacies that you really can't notice the first time around while you're still acclimating yourself to the album. The openers have a long shelf life though because you can always come back for something new. Again, because when you first start out listening to the album, you're not quite ready for what they're going to put out -- rush's only consistencies are their time, and the eclectic styles adopted between albums -- they can be annoying. Seems to me anyway.

Later on you come back and you have to apologize yourself for not paying those songs much mind.

The same is true for the newest record.
    we fukin won boys