User Tag List

Thread: Kilroy was here

Courage is immortality Array Valiant's Avatar
    8w7 sx/so

Default Kilroy was here

Anyone else who is fascinated with the legend of Kilroy?

It is said to be drawings of Kilroy with the text "Kilroy was here" in a number of really odd places, for an example on top of mount everest, at the Arch de Triumphe at Champs-elyssées, scribbled in the dust on the moon and so forth.

You run across it basically everywhere in the world.
    I just love it

Any of you who have a heard stories of where this originated? I would love it if you had any local stories from where you live etc. Many sources seem to point that it all started in the Boston area in the beginning of WWII.

But who knows?

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

The Unwieldy Clawed One Array Falcarius's Avatar

Well I know the Australian version is " Foo was here", what had the exactly the same picture, supposedly "Foo" is acronym for Forward Observation Officer.

In Britain we had "Chad" what was the same as "Foo" and "kilroy" graffiti, but instead of having the slogan "Foo/chad was here." it had the slogan "What, no ____?". The blank would be satirically filled in with whatever rationing caused to be in short supply.

It was most probably not even originally American, "Foo" and " Chad" are supposed to have been used before "Kilroy", the British Cartoonist George Edward Chatterton mostly probably made the cartoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.