User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Help a brotha out

I am looking for a good, relateable instance where having the real thing is better than something fake or temporary.

Like on a more superficial level, fake _____ on a person is not as appealing as the real thing, or you could buy an inferior version of X, but it won't be as effective or last as long as the real thing, which costs more.

Can you help me out with some relatable examples? It has to be something that's can be shared with an audience of all ages and backgrounds. Thanks.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Audience of all ages? Damn. Fake tits were the obvious go-to example.....
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Audience of all ages? Damn. Fake tits were the obvious go-to example.....
    yeah I gotta keep it clean!

Think of something and let me know. Thanks.

Solid wood vs wood veneer. The veneer gets worn off and the product typically isn't as strong. The solid wood wears well and lasts a much longer time. You can sand it and re-finish it too to change its look.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i'm not sure i get what you're talking about...you mean like a fake smile is less appealing than a real one? or nice gourmet chocolate is better than the cheap mass produced stuff? i'm sorry totally don't get the point...
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ESFJ

Black OP's or assassin's creed brotherhood .. Better to own your own copy than rent or borrow from someone else.

Qualifications .. You can buy any old certficiate online these days.

Women .. We may be full of hot air on occasions, but we never deflate
    (it's somewhat clean)
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Pretty much anything is better "real" than "fake". I don't get why this needs an example, it's obvious.

The first things that pop into my head (after the first response) are diamonds, any kind of food, leather, metal, limbs.....honestly anything....?

I don't know of many things (anything?) that is better fake. That would be a more interesting argument.
    -end of thread-

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Pretty much anything is better "real" than "fake". I don't get why this needs an example, it's obvious.

The first things that pop into my head (after the first response) are diamonds, any kind of food, leather, metal, limbs.....honestly anything....?

I don't know of many things (anything?) that is better fake. That would be a more interesting argument.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i'm going to agree with her...yeah...why the need for an example iz?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTJ

Thanks...

I'm speaking in front of my congregation this Sunday, about joy. There are 2 kinds of (legitimate) joys, the kind that come from 'things'- not material things, but your family, a good meal, nature/the world around us, and then there's the joy that comes from God himself. While both are good to have, the joy directly from God cannot be substitued by what you get from the 'things'.

Now that I've explained it out, 'real vs fake' is the wrong way to describe it. It's like something of substance over something less filling. or Something long lasting vs something temporary.

The reason I ask is because it gives me more options to use, to drive the point home. I had a few things in mind, but the 'diamonds' or 'shoes' ideas I didn't. Plus, the majority of the audience is female, so to get a famale perspective always helps. I'm sure they don't want a bunch of sport analogies.

Thanks! Keep em coming if you can think of anything else. It's all appreciated!