User Tag List

View Poll Results: How Serious Are You About The Rep System?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very Serious: Everytime a new green dot appears, an angel gets its wings.

5 10.87%
  • Pretty Serious: My Whole Self Worth Rests on it.

3 6.52%
  • Serious: I really believe I May be a freaking rockstar

2 4.35%
  • I am neutral on it.

10 21.74%
  • It amuses me, breaks the ice with others.

19 41.30%
  • I loathe the rep system.

3 6.52%
  • I don't know what I think about the rep system.

4 8.70%
First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFP

I'm hustlin the green.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    People who avidly tell people to stop taking the rep system so seriously seem to be taking it pretty seriously in their own way.

/end devil's advocate

My take on this: If someone wants to take it seriously that is their own affair. I simply think if someone self censures themselves out of fear of not gaining points, then it is something that in my opinion is not productive for their own self expression but it is not my place to tell them not to take it seriously. There is a difference between saying "this is my opinion, you are taking this too seriously" and "you need to stop taking this seriously."

It is not my place to tell anyone how to post and I would never want to presume to do so. I may very well have an opinion on what they say and express it, in fact may express it strongly, but I don't see it as my place to try and dictate how someone else should feel or express themselves on a message board.

If someone feels pressure from their own need for acceptance because of my opinion, I do not feel responsible for that.

Further thoughts on the talk on this board lately: I don't like being told *how* to express myself and I don't think many people really do. I see on this board complaints that there is too much fluff and in the same day, complaints about people writing dissertations and needing to give shorter, simpiler posts.

I don't see the need for making comments like this myself, this need to try and control how other people are expressing themselves either through pressure or trying to come up with solutions. If one does not like a particular type of post or thread, simply do not read it and make more of the types that you want to see. Be the solution for yourself and let others be as they want to be. For myself, I like the wide variety of posts on this board from the fluff to the disertations. I don't care if they have been here a day or since the board started or whatever. You cannot please everyone.

Still I highly admire those who continue to express themselves freely as their inner guidence tells them to without care for the approval of others.

I may very well have an opinion on what they say and express it, in fact may express it strongly, but I don't see it as my place to try and dictate how someone else should feel or express themselves on a message board.

If someone feels pressure from their own need for acceptance because of my opinion, I do not feel responsible for that.
    Well said, Heart. Just giving you some personal feedback on how I read your previous post, and in actuality the whole tone of this thread itself.

I highly admire those who continue to express themselves freely as their inner guidence tells them to without care for the approval of others.
    Agreed. It is because I see it as so easy to slip from this path that I admire it so much. If it were easy, it would be nothing notable to obtain it.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

heart on fire

Well said, Heart. Just giving you some personal feedback on how I read your previous post, and in actuality the whole tone of this thread itself.
    Yes, sometimes I may not be as clear as I thought I was and want to reiterate what I said. That's all.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Nadir View Post
    Er... I'm still trying to figure out what prompted you two to take his words there literally!
    It's called play Nadir... Taking things literally when it wasn't intended to me is a form of dry humor. Plus I get to throw in the line "Okay, I have no idea what you're talking about". You can't beat that!

Quote Originally Posted by heart
    Further thoughts on the talk on this board lately: I don't like being told *how* to express myself and I don't think many people really do. I see on this board complaints that there is too much fluff and in the same day, complaints about people writing dissertations and needing to give shorter, simpiler posts.

I don't see the need for making comments like this myself, this need to try and control how other people are expressing themselves either through pressure or trying to come up with solutions. If one does not like a particular type of post or thread, simply do not read it and make more of the types that you want to see. Be the solution for yourself and let others be as they want to be. For myself, I like the wide variety of posts on this board from the fluff to the disertations. I don't care if they have been here a day or since the board started or whatever. You cannot please everyone.
    Well said. There are serious sections and there are "fluff" sections... You can pick and choose the threads you wish to respond to. I think the tone of the thread is usually readily identified based on its title. And if that doesn't work, it's not that difficult to glance over at the name of the subforum it's posted under. I'm talking about the new posts listing. It's not a difficult thing to do.

Still, freedom of choice and expression! There's nothing wrong if voicing concerns.

MBTI
    INTJ

[2 page essay on Rep System]

I don't take it that seriously. It is neat.
    Still using a needle to break apart a grain of sand.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I like the feature, for it provides a private arena within the public forum to express praise, appreciation and, or humor.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    I like the feature, for it provides a private arena within the public forum to express praise, appreciation and, or humor.
    Yes, the forum within the forum part of it is appealing. The ability to send a private message without leaving the thread and one may easily reference which post is being answered. This part of it is a useful untility.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

People who avidly tell people to stop taking the rep system so seriously seem to be taking it pretty seriously in their own way.

/end devil's advocate
    If you had your rep on, I would've definitely given this a green! Devil's Advocate is my favorite game!

(It's a pretty good movie, too!)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

What's the point of living life if you don't get (metaphorical) reputation points ?

Tell me that the point is love, but I reply that isn't the point of love to get more reputations points, from family, from friends, and from yourself?