User Tag List

View Poll Results: How Serious Are You About The Rep System?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very Serious: Everytime a new green dot appears, an angel gets its wings.

5 10.87%
  • Pretty Serious: My Whole Self Worth Rests on it.

3 6.52%
  • Serious: I really believe I May be a freaking rockstar

2 4.35%
  • I am neutral on it.

10 21.74%
  • It amuses me, breaks the ice with others.

19 41.30%
  • I loathe the rep system.

3 6.52%
  • I don't know what I think about the rep system.

4 8.70%
First 23456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    What sort of global ramifications are you referring to?

Look under here: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/showgroups.php

I would personally try Ivy first...
    Thankyou =)

Edit: Fixed, already. Wasn't that fast? It's amazing.
    Introverted: 100%
    INtuition: 95%
    Feeling: 58%
    Perceiving: 89%

5w4 sp/sx

INFP.gc

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    economical, geological, political... geopolitical. probably some icals that WE DONT EVEN KNOW ABOUT
    *blinks* Ummmm right... I'm afraid I'm going to have throw in the line. "Okay, I have no idea what you're talking about".

incompetence = most people in life... including me I suppose. Now what suggestions do you have to improving/changing this? Starting off with the rep system perhaps?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    i dont think some of you are grasping the global ramifications of the reputation system... this sort of incompetence is the type of thing that could bring the world to its knees
    Actually, thinking like that is one of the more major issues.

Yes some people can take the rep system to heart, and start acting negatively towards those that have a higher rep then they do. While on the far opposite side other's see it as just a harmless fluffy thing. It's when the extremes from both sides collide and you toss in the whole stance on it all like yours that things turn bad.

The rep system is not an issue, it's the people themselves that make it the issue. People need to stop caring so much about crap like this that they get all defensive and start fighting about it, and others need to stop trying to quell the uprisings by acting heavy handedly and forcing a Nanny State policy on it all.

Honestly people need to stop trying to run other peoples lives and just deal with their own weaknesses. All it does is further escalate the divide between the two sides.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Why do people hate the rep system? You know, you haters have the option to disable it if you're going to be that touchy about it. Let the people who aren't bothered by it enjoy it! (It gives me a sense of self-worth as far as online communication goes.)

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    *blinks* Ummmm right... I'm afraid I'm going to have throw in the line. "Okay, I have no idea what you're talking about".
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender
    Actually, thinking like that is one of the more major issues.
    Er... I'm still trying to figure out what prompted you two to take his words there literally! :)
    Not really.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

Quote Originally Posted by Nadir View Post
    Er... I'm still trying to figure out what prompted you two to take his words there literally!
    I didn't really. His comment is more or less pokin fun at the fact that people are taking it so seriously.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

We all know acceptance or rejection can affect our self-esteem. The rep system is a symbol of recognition and acceptance, albeit a faulted and incomplete one. I like a lot of the people who don't have a lot of rep, or are just somewhere in the middle, and there are people high up whom I look at and think, "Why exactly are they there?" A lot of it is the kind of threads you participate in, and how much fluff you participate in, since we all know that much of rep comes from making a funny joke or just contributing something fluffy but nonetheless enjoyable. My serious posts are rarely repped, but I don't know if I make less of them because of this. I probably am positively reinforced to make more fluffy posts than I normally would, which may take away from my "serious time." But it's hard to say. I'm only human.

I wouldn't fault anyone for taking the rep system a little too seriously in terms of their self-esteem. I've been there; I admit it. As social creatures, we all fall into doubt about how well-accepted and well-known we are. It can feel demoralizing to see someone you don't like very much, whose posts you don't like, have more rep than you. Likewise, seeing someone who seems to be very similar to you and seems to make similar posts, but who has more rep (perhaps significantly more) might make you wonder, "What are they doing differently from me?"

Ultimately, it does rest with the individual how happy or sad the rep system makes them. But we are human, and we do have insecurities.

The rep system boosts me up. Other times, I wish I'd received encouragement for a post that I didn't, but hoped I would.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I still have no idea what this rep thing does and/or means. I've seen the messages in my user CP, but have no idea how to return the favor, although I am wary of doing it with all this "rep" discussion all the time.

You kids and your crazy internet stuff.

heart on fire

From your friendly OP: Much has been said by others and this as good a place as any for me to add my thoughts.

It is a valid point that some make that the rep system will change the way people post. (Basically turn people into crawlers) I have thought about it some and came to a conclusion.

I would say anyone who changes their posting style because of the rep system takes it very seriously. Too seriously in my opinion. It is not the rep system responsible for this however. It is the person who allows themselves to be influenced by social approval to the point of self censure.

People who avidly tell people to stop taking the rep system so seriously seem to be taking it pretty seriously in their own way.

/end devil's advocate
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love