User Tag List

12 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    IT

Default 4bdrm/2ba house. How much would it cost to go from completely empty to furnished?

What do you think.

I'm trying to plan things out such that I can buy a home in 2-3 years. My question is, how much do you think it would take to fully furnish a 4bed/2ba house with great quality furniture (not cheap IKEA stuff that doesn't seem to last very long). I'm (at this point in time) into the modern/contemporary-looking furniture ( http://images.scrippsweb.com/HGTV/20...gkitchen_e.jpg ), so what do you think?

I'm partly unsure of how much furniture would cost, but really I'm not sure about what I would need to fully furnish a house (I know there'd be beds, couches, etc, but what else?).

I want to have (dreaming here) a den, a library, and a game room in addition to the regular bedrooms. Maybe the basement would be a good place to setup these things?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I don't know. We have a four bedroom, one bath house, probably a little too furnished, but not with good stuff, more with hand-me-downs and clearance sale finds. I don't know what good furniture costs and I don't intend to find out as long as I've got a houseful of kids and pets.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

You may need to reverse engineer this....

Do you have children? Pets? How many, how big?

What are the storage needs for everyone and everything in this house?

Do you entertain a lot? Cook a lot?

How long do you expect your furniture to last?

Are you susceptible to swings in style?

Do you love to clean, or do you delegate?

Smoker?

Tell me about your auto....and how often you have it serviced.

Do you put the cap back on the toothpaste?

What are your favorite magazines? Have lots of books?

Need a sanctum for solitude?

That's enough for now.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    INFJ

Cafe has the right idea - go for the stuff that's on sale like closeouts, floor models, etc. Near us is a great place (Tradeway) that sells one-of-a-kind sofabeds, dining room sets, etc. that are practically new that come from designer model homes, showrooms and elsewhere.

There are also consignment furniture stores which sell better pieces. My brother-in-law and his wife buy similar items at public auctions. Their last purchase was a mahogany china cabinet for a couple $100. Urban Salvation Army stores have good finds, too.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    IT

Wanting to know how much it would cost for new furniture is to have a working maximum in mind. I don't think I'll be buying a new house anytime soon, let alone furnishing it with top of the line equipment.

But let's just say I wanted to.. how much would it set me back.

The imaginary den/library would be an area of solitude for me.

(I'm an INTP, btw.. and a very stereotypical one, in most every way.)

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by mysavior View Post
    Wanting to know how much it would cost for new furniture is to have a working maximum in mind. I don't think I'll be buying a new house anytime soon, let alone furnishing it with top of the line equipment.

But let's just say I wanted to.. how much would it set me back.

The imaginary den/library would be an area of solitude for me.

(I'm an INTP, btw.. and a very stereotypical one, in most every way.)
    When I started off with a flat/apartment.. I had little money, so I put the word out and begged and borrowed. You'd be surprised, many people will want to give you old furniture they don't need.. glad you can take it.

We also went to a charity that sells second hand furniture for leukemia research... we were getting reasonable pieces for 20 pounds ie $40 per piece, delivered.

(Edit : weird, it killed some of my post first time)

Enneagram
    1w2

You can see if you can buy old hotel furniture. Or furniture consignment shops. It's usually pretty sturdy but may have some wear and tear. Also make your own furniture! I went to a friends apartment and they used cement blocks and wood to make shelves and tables and stuff and spruced it up some with very decorative paint. It didn't come off as a fresh out of college apartment. Looked kind of urban deconstruction-y/warehousey. I guess the exposed brick helped too.

You may want to run a black light and luminol over everything before you purchase if though.

MBTI
    GONE

I'm going to throw out a wild price range --$2000 to $25,000.

Depending if you are as thrifty, resourceful as possible up to buying mostly new (if economical) furniture. 4 full-size and up beds alone could cost you around $10,000.

Don't skimp on the big ticket items like couches and dining set, etc. You can save money later on the decorative touches which can really add up if you don't shop smart. Decorative items are really easy to buy 2nd hand on the cheap but have less resale value. Some design elements include extra seating (lots of extra seating), lamps, extra tables (console, sofa, buffet, etc.)

4 bed/2 bath -- unless you are really super minimalist, your furniture tab will add up FAST.

And though you didn't ask specifically, here are some suggestions to stretch your money further:

No Ikea furniture? I'd go Craiglist or even Freecycle.

I don't see modern mod furniture like the pic you have up at Goodwill or Salvation Army stores (and those stores IMHO, have some high prices -- I see similar items being sold for less or given away online).

Since you're buying so much, finding a wholesaler or a designer or design/warehouse through which to get 'wholesale' prices and bulk purchases could save you money. Or buy from Cort or another 'furniture rental' place. They have crazy seasonal sales.

If you dress your whole house head to toe and you want it to look pulled together, I'd strongly suggest hiring a designer. Or using a design warehouse like Expo or RoomStore or another one of those furniture warehouses. Or basically buy furniture by the roomful instead of mixing and matching individual pieces yourself if you don't use a designer.

Or go to a lot of open houses/model houses to get ideas. Model houses also sometimes get their furniture auctioned off, so it's a great opportunity to get an entire look for a discount.

I know you don't want Ikea, but to mix and match with more expensive pieces and stretch your dollar you might need to.

You know who has lots of mod furniture and sells it regularly? College kids! Wait until the end of the school year. You can go dumpster diving and pick up amazing stuff or get it on the cheap (rich kids don't know the value of a $ yet!) Also, depending on the city you live in you may have a lot of professionals moving seasonally who are eager to offload their snazzy furniture. Sometimes their entire house or apartmentful.

Good luck!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by mysavior View Post
    What do you think.

I'm trying to plan things out such that I can buy a home in 2-3 years. My question is, how much do you think it would take to fully furnish a 4bed/2ba house with great quality furniture (not cheap IKEA stuff that doesn't seem to last very long). I'm (at this point in time) into the modern/contemporary-looking furniture ( http://images.scrippsweb.com/HGTV/20...gkitchen_e.jpg ), so what do you think?

I'm partly unsure of how much furniture would cost, but really I'm not sure about what I would need to fully furnish a house (I know there'd be beds, couches, etc, but what else?).

I want to have (dreaming here) a den, a library, and a game room in addition to the regular bedrooms. Maybe the basement would be a good place to setup these things?
    I'd estimate about $30,000 for the furnishings - the entire house.
    But I advise against buying it on credit.
    Only buy what you can pay for in cash.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I'd estimate about $30,000 for the furnishings - the entire house.
    But I advise against buying it on credit.
    Only buy what you can pay for in cash.
    Yep! best to start with pretty basic functional stuff.. give aways and second hand and then replace items on a when-one-can-afford-it basis.