User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    There are grown women (25-40) in my office that do that as well. They aren't nervous about asking, it's just a pretense. I don't know why they think it's cute or that it will get them what they want faster because I just look at them very quizzically and ask why are they talking like that. One of them does this regularly and once she started playing with my sleeve while she was doing it. Oh, the perils of working with too many women!:rolli:
    Holy cow! That's disturbing.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I think I may do this subconsciously, but certaintly not on purpose but I don't know I'll ask one of my friends sometime. but normally when I'm nervous and asking a question my voice gets quieter and I sometimes address the person as sir or mam respectively. It usually goes something like this "um excuse me [sir] but i was wondering if i could um *insert request* i mean if it's not too much trouble." then after he answers "thank you, have a good day". So yeah i guess you can't snap at someone doing it subconsciously but if they are doing it on purpose I don't know, but personally if something I'm doing is annoying to a person I'd like to know. I mean it may hurt at first but in the long run it's better. So I think you should bring it up to them.IMO
    I'm all for respect, and I myself use ma'am and sir regularly. The thing that makes my skin crawl is the baby-voice. But, after all, they're only 16 and they may really feel childlike inside.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by faith View Post
    These girls, however, are doing it to be cutsey and thereby manipulate the person into agreeing with their request. It involves a distinct change of pitch and cadence, often accompanied by cocking the head to the side, smiling hopefully and batting eyes, and making some gesture of feminine uncertainty (playing gently with fingernails or necklace or hair).
    My guess is that they're not doing very well at it, then... because I think it would be more persuasive or unnoticeable than annoying if they did it in a more subtle, less exaggerated way.

I've seen people do that before, and some of them give off just the right impression to appeal, others just look exaggerated and silly when they try.

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

If you're certain about their motives, why don't you tell them to stop doing that -- at least in your presence?
    Not really.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nadir View Post
    If you're certain about their motives, why don't you tell them to stop doing that -- at least in your presence?
    Because I'm not convinced it's worth it. They're 16 and have all sorts of stupid annoying habits. Life will knock off the rough edges sooner or later (unless you're one of those women who work with proteanmix). If I were in their position, it would embarrass me for a teacher to tell me to cut out the baby talk. In every other way, these girls are nice and eager to please. I would rather see them become comfortable & secure enough with themselves not to feel a need to manipulate--to drop it of their own accord--than to tell them and have them drop it out of embarrassment.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

...These girls, however, are doing it to be cutsey and thereby manipulate the person into agreeing with their request. It involves a distinct change of pitch and cadence, often accompanied by cocking the head to the side, smiling hopefully and batting eyes, and making some gesture of feminine uncertainty (playing gently with fingernails or necklace or hair).
    Oh... That sounds like my 9-year-old daughter, when she's trying to get something she wants.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

I would rather see them become comfortable & secure enough with themselves not to feel a need to manipulate--to drop it of their own accord--than to tell them and have them drop it out of embarrassment.
    Ah, but does it have to be out of embarassment? My original reply might have been a little too concise.

You are, after all, their teacher and if the girls are as you describe then they probably respect you in some capacity. You can have a talk with them after class, essentially invite them to be more comfortable with you. If they really are uncomfortable they would be relieved to know you're aware of that and you would rather have them be more at ease, including when they request something -- at which point you could jokingly refer to the baby talk as something they should be dropping.

Your call, of course. This is just my opinion!
    Not really.

heart on fire

There are certain 16-year-old girls in my classes who have acquired the habit of making requests using baby voices. In regular conversation they use regular voices, but when they approach me wanting something from me, they switch into a shy, childish voice. It drives me up the wall. My first inclination is to snap at them and refuse the request simply because the voice is so irritating. I have to pause and remind myself that what they're asking is generally pretty reasonable. I could like these girls if they'd lose the self-conscious pretense and the voice that accompanies it.
    I can't stand this particular thing in females. I hate when I have to deal with them as in medical billing departments and there they are being ignorant or telling me something I know isn't right and they are making the irritation ten times worse by expending energy on that stupid pretense. It makes me want to say "I am not a man, I am not going to be swayed by your helpless little me act. I am not going to feel protective towards you."

Also super irritating is the manical girlish giggle to try and cover some big blunder in these situations. If I am feeling irritated already I will ask something like: "What is so funny about billing me for the wrong service? Are you capable of getting serious or do I need to call back and get another clerk?"

I just have NO patience for it some days and in some situations. :steam: If you are working, then be professional, dammit! You are just going to irritate other women who just want to get done what needs to be done and get it over with.

Most of the time, the girlish giggle disappears and they come back with their normal voice and can take care of business for the most part.

MBTI
    INFJ

I'm definitely one of those women whose voice changes when they get into "asking mode". Why?

1- Because I'm nervous and this has a physiological effect on me. My voice goes up one octave, as they say in books, and I can't help it.

2- Because it WORKS more often than not. Many posts have mentioned that it is manipulation, and my answer is "Duh! *Of course* it's manipulation! "Manipulation" is just another word for "communication" sometimes " If I want something from someone, then I will most definitely try and manipulate them into wanting to give me that thing. And it so happens that the "baby voice" works on a lot of people. And I've learned to read when it doesn't, so I can revert to a more normal voice if I see it's not working.

MBTI
    INXP

If you ever contemplate dating someone who puts on a baby voice, just start running.. trust me. It usually follows through to the bedroom, and.. it's just unpleasant!

-Geoff