User Tag List

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default Canadian banking advice

HELP.

I went to my local(ish) bank recently to cash my cheque from the Canadian Government and was told i would have to pay several fees, negotiate the exchange rate and spend 30 mins completing the paperwork. I got into a huff, grabbed the cheque and said it would be quicker going to Canada and cashing the cheque myself there .. Opppsss.

I went to another branch of my bank last weekend and we started the paperwork, she took all my details and when i showed her the cheque she said they couldn't cash it due to issue date being longer than 6 months old.
    I didn't cash it as i didn't need the money.

I am aware in the UK that you have to bank the cheque within 6 months but thought (Opppsss, again) that with a Canadian government cheque there would not be an expiry date.

The woman i spoke to was very pleasant and suggested i contact the government and ask them to reissue the cheque to which i explained that i had overpaid some fees in May 2008 and only got the money back in Jan 2010. She then suggested that i went home, opened an account and deposited the cheque myself .. Found this a little strange as i had never told her i had even been to Canada so to refer to that place as home (me and my symbolism kicked in very quickly, maybe it's a sign, lol).

So now i am stuck with a cheque for a nice amount (although i don't need the money at present) so do Canadian government cheques have an expiry date so if i wanted to visit Canada to attend say a friends wedding, could i open an account and deposit the money?
    Or
    Am i going to have to go through the process of contacting the embassy in London (UK) and them forwarding my emails to Mississauga thus hopefully at some point in the future i may get this money back?

I could of simplified this post.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Here's the thick and thin of it.
    Cashing anything internationally is a pain in the arse.

Try one of the following:

(1) Do you have any friends in Canada? If not I do. Contact one to have them go to their local bank teller and ask if they can deposit the check into their account if it is endorsed by you to them. That way, they cash it and then can PayPal you the money.

(2) I only send money internationally through PayPal or WesternUnion. PayPal is instant and inexpensive up to a certain dollar threshold, at which point WesterUnion is the way to go. Actually WesxternUnion is the way to go if someone needs CASH fast, PayPal can't do that.

(3) If no bank in the UK will cash it past the 6 month date of the check's printing then you will have to get it re-issued.

(4) I'll be happy to ask my teller at the U.S. bank I use if I can cash it for you, ala (1) above.

Let me know what you want to do.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Halla's got it right.

It's a 6 months expiry date, and even cashing between the US and Canada is a hassle. If you want the money soon, surrender to them, if you can wait, try to mail it back to a Canadian who can deposit it in your Canadian account? Do you still have an account from when you lived there?
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

It's called staledating when a cheque expires in six months or longer and government cheques are no different. You'll have to contact them for a new one.

Another possibility is to open an account with the U.K. affiliate of a Canadian Bank. Don't know if they will charge you a form of collections fee, similar to what you've experienced. Banks don't do anything for free.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Thanks guys, especially Halla for your sound advice

I closed the account i had in Canada.

I'll start the email process tomorrow and get a new cheque issued. I don't need the money as a matter of urgency so another year won't kill me, lol.

Another lesson learned.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe