User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Cool On the proper use of smilies

In this thread, we will teach you how to use smilies correctly and how to avoid common mistakes. I'll start with the basics and hopefully my colleagues will join me.

- Use only when you insult someone playfully, or when someone's pet dies. Under no other circumstances should you use this smiley. Some people use it when they haven't seen someone in a long time, and that's absolutely wrong.
    - A terrible smiley. Shouldn't be used, ever. It makes you, the user, look stupid.
    - Not just a normal wink, Jew is used to signify playful deception and trickery. It's very racist and we love it. Little known fact: it can also be used when talking about Jews in general.
    - Should be used by itself, without accompanying explanation.
    - Should be used alone as well.
    - The MacGyver of smilies, use at the end of a sentence or alone. This smiley is very versatile.
    - Stupid. Don't use it.
    - Shrugging is an art form. If you don't know how to use this smiley, stay away from it because you'll just end up looking like a fool. If you're clever, this smiley can be very useful and expressive.
    - Hi. See also, (bye).
    - Use only when you want to feign modesty. If you get pwned in an argument, -- actually, I don't really know what to do if that happens to you. But don't use that smiley.
    - A new smiley that kinda looks like crap. Use it and you're advertising the fact that you're an uncouth n00b. Real forumites use (cheers).
    - Meh, go away.
    - This smiley works best on his or her own.
    - Use with accompanying text.
    :steam: - This smiley is annoying and not close to as awesome as (azdaja).
    - This smiley has been taken over by Victor, and tends to appear in the subject line these days. You can't really use it anymore unless your name is Victor or you're parodying the artist.
    - Great smiley. Learn it. Love it.
    :workout: - AKA Halla. Another great smiley. Try using it to signify intensity. Also called [pumpyouup].
    - AKA, Halla 2: Sons of Halla. Unless your name is Halla or you have more energy than a mid-sized star, you should not be using this smiley.
    - Better than (puppy_dog_eyes, a smiley no one has used since the Days of Songbird), this smiley is excellent for manipulating people's emotions and earning sympathy points. Try it out in person, too, because it can get you laid very easily.
    - Should only be used if you're a girl and your name is Ivy Jennifer. This smiley is pretty much inappropriate for everyone else, ever. (Thank you for the correction, JJJ! )
    - My new favorite smiley. Best used in discussions about sex. If you're a guy and another guy uses this smiley by itself, you must respond with the smiley alone in the next post. It's a rule. It's in the FAQ. I've seen it.
    - A better smiley than the hideous-looking :catfight: (catfight). Use it when you see bitter disputes or tireless complaining.
    - Is your name whatever? Then why are you using this smiley? Leave it alone. It's been tainted by the great smiley abuser, whatever. (Note: do not take lessons from this person on proper smiley use and you would be wise to disregard her posts in this thread.)

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

- For failed attempts at humor... like this thread for example.

If time and space allows, this image is best:

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    - Should only be used if you're a girl and your name is Ivy. This smiley is pretty much inappropriate for everyone else, ever.
    This is not correct. I've taken the custody of that one.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondBest View Post
    - For failed attempts at humor... like this thread for example.
    (<-- this is one that I never use)

Quote Originally Posted by SecondBest View Post
    I don't see how the square is funny... what am I missing here...

MBTI
    ----

halla also has custody of this smiley

this is my favourite smiley (unsmiley) the emotion in the banana's eyes and posture is very moving.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    - Is your name whatever? Then why are you using this smiley? Leave it alone. It's been tainted by the great smiley abuser, whatever. (Note: do not take lessons from this person on proper smiley use and you would be wise to disregard her posts in this thread.)
    Quoted for truth. I have told her that before. I wonder how many others have told her that as well.

:smiley_violin: When I see the multiple violin smilies I wonder if Fidelia was responsible. Maybe one is actually a viola. The world may never know.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

MBTI
    INFP

This smiley is pretty much owned by Jennifer. Has she ever made a post without using it at least once since its introduction? I'm going to say no, confident that nobody other than Jennifer would bother trying to prove me wrong. And Jennifer wouldn't do that because I used her name 3 times in this post. I've seen Fluffywolf use it too from time to time, which just confuses me.

This one is pretty much the entp male smiley. I'm specifically thinking of oberon and entropie there. I don't use it myself partly because I'm not an entp male, but mostly because it reminds me of old racist cartoons of japanese people. Like this one:

Quote Originally Posted by strawberries View Post
    this is my favourite smiley (unsmiley) the emotion in the banana's eyes and posture is very moving.
    SO TRUE.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by strawberries View Post
    halla also has custody of this smiley

Here here.. I feel special kinship with Sad Banana as well.

As for someone else telling me how to use smilies??

I use these ones to convey my feelings to such audacity.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Both the actively winking smiley and the waving one irritate me no end. Especially the latter conjures up images of obnoxious Grade 7 boys. I think it is the large eyes on them, but they remind me of people who get right up in your face and don't have social awareness. Off with their heads! (Or whatever the equivalent smiley death is).