In this thread, we will teach you how to use smilies correctly and how to avoid common mistakes. I'll start with the basics and hopefully my colleagues will join me.
- Use only when you insult someone playfully, or when someone's pet dies. Under no other circumstances should you use this smiley. Some people use it when they haven't seen someone in a long time, and that's absolutely wrong.
- A terrible smiley. Shouldn't be used, ever. It makes you, the user, look stupid.
- Not just a normal wink, Jew is used to signify playful deception and trickery. It's very racist and we love it. Little known fact: it can also be used when talking about Jews in general.
- Should be used by itself, without accompanying explanation.
- Should be used alone as well.
- The MacGyver of smilies, use at the end of a sentence or alone. This smiley is very versatile.
- Stupid. Don't use it.
- Shrugging is an art form. If you don't know how to use this smiley, stay away from it because you'll just end up looking like a fool. If you're clever, this smiley can be very useful and expressive.
- Hi. See also, (bye).
- Use only when you want to feign modesty. If you get pwned in an argument, -- actually, I don't really know what to do if that happens to you. But don't use that smiley.
- A new smiley that kinda looks like crap. Use it and you're advertising the fact that you're an uncouth n00b. Real forumites use (cheers).
- Meh, go away.
- This smiley works best on his or her own.
- Use with accompanying text.
:steam: - This smiley is annoying and not close to as awesome as (azdaja).
- This smiley has been taken over by Victor, and tends to appear in the subject line these days. You can't really use it anymore unless your name is Victor or you're parodying the artist.
- Great smiley. Learn it. Love it.
:workout: - AKA Halla. Another great smiley. Try using it to signify intensity. Also called [pumpyouup].
- AKA, Halla 2: Sons of Halla. Unless your name is Halla or you have more energy than a mid-sized star, you should not be using this smiley.
- Better than (puppy_dog_eyes, a smiley no one has used since the Days of Songbird), this smiley is excellent for manipulating people's emotions and earning sympathy points. Try it out in person, too, because it can get you laid very easily.
- Should only be used if you're a girl and your name is
IvyJennifer. This smiley is pretty much inappropriate for everyone else, ever. (Thank you for the correction, JJJ! )
- My new favorite smiley. Best used in discussions about sex. If you're a guy and another guy uses this smiley by itself, you must respond with the smiley alone in the next post. It's a rule. It's in the FAQ. I've seen it.
- A better smiley than the hideous-looking :catfight: (catfight). Use it when you see bitter disputes or tireless complaining.
- Is your name whatever? Then why are you using this smiley? Leave it alone. It's been tainted by the great smiley abuser, whatever. (Note: do not take lessons from this person on proper smiley use and you would be wise to disregard her posts in this thread.)