User Tag List

MBTI
    INTP

Default Who invented catch? Dog or human?

I've been thining about this and I've come to the conclusion that it was a natural occurence.

I think it comes down to the fact dogs just want to fight over an object and that humans are too lazy to go running after it. So humans throw it away just to give themselves breathing space and dogs instinctively think the human is hot on their tails to retrieve it.

Any thoughts?

P.S. If that doesn't generate enough conversation can anyone answer if polar bears hibernate in the colder months?
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    INTJ

Aw darn. You changed your avatar, and I voted for it, too!

I loved that guy on the phone with the post it note on his forehead that said "on the phone".
    That was priceless!
    That was something my ISTP husband would do!

I've known more than one annoying dog who wouldn't go away and kept making me throw the stick for him.
    I think dogs invented it by virtue of being annoying and their owner wanting to be left alone.

Do polar bears hibernate?
    Polar bears do not hibernate in the true sense of the word. True hibernators experience a marked drop in heart rate and a body temperature that plunges to nearly 0 C (32 F). Polar bears do not enter a state of deep hibernation; instead they undergo "walking hibernation." Only pregnant female bears enter a den. They do so in the fall and give birth to their cubs in November or December. The bear family will remain in the den until March or April.
    Polar Bears International - Polar Bear FAQ

MBTI
    INTP

Can you type animals? Because if you can I'm pretty sure my dog is an ESTP.

This is a completely unscientific random idea, but my first thought was that fetching has been bred into dogs for centuries because it was probably used to train them to hunt.

Either that or it was invented by executives at Stick And Ball, Inc.

MBTI
    INTP

Can you breed instinct?

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Belfry View Post
    Can you breed instinct?
    Since different breeds of dogs show different behaviour, they have been bred on this. Fetching is well seen among retrievers. If you consider fetching a form of instinct, then I would say, "yes you can". But it is merely emphasising what must be there.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    This is a completely unscientific random idea, but my first thought was that fetching has been bred into dogs for centuries because it was probably used to train them to hunt.
    Ding, ding, ding. I think we have a winner.

Dogs evolved from wolves. HUmans bred for certain traits and bred out other traits -- in fact, breeding out aggression from wolves was how domesticated dogs came about.

There is a natura instinct for dogs, like many predators, to run with their prey in their mouths to keep it safe or hide it so other predators can't get to their food.

Some dogs after a kill (like a bird in the backyard) will drop it proudly on their owner's doorstep, since the owner is the alpha dog.

But otherwise, "catch" itself is not necessarily a natural instinct. Dogs have to be trained for it.

Beyond that, certain hunting breeds do it more naturally and are trained easier because they were bred for it, like FM said. Like Retrievers (hence the name, I think they were bred to retrieve water fowl). Retrievers are also super owner friendly and want to please their masters so are relatively easy to train. Most working breeds are. The more independent and/or hella annoying breeds (most toy breeds) might be harder to train.

I had a Shar-pei and Shar-peis do NOT do catch by nature. They look at you like, "Uh-huh, you throwing that for a reason?" and then they walk majestically to the side and plop down and ignore you. Or else they will actually retrieve the item and then run to the side and plop down and ignore.It's really boring to play with a Shar-pei.

BTW, my younger brother thinks he is the dog whisperer so I hear all about his theories on dog behavior and training (which I don't agree with).

And I just realized you were referring to 'catch' and not fetch. But the same theory applies. The dogs that make good agility dogs usually love catching frisbees. But that's not most breeds.