User Tag List

Page 664 of 1346 FirstFirst ... 1645646146546626636646656666747147641164 ... LastLast
Results 6,631 to 6,640 of 13455

Thread: Ask the Next Person Anything

Self sustaining supernova Array Zoom's Avatar
    Enneagram
    9w8

Learning, languages, flight, meaningful & amazing experiences (physical and mental) and utilizing what skills I have to enrich the world around me.

You?

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar
    Enneagram
    8w9

Making the world a more civilized place. Fighting for human rights so that our children can grow up in a world slightly better than the one we live in right now. Politics, specifically the defense of civil liberties in the face of a government convinced of its own ability to solve your problems with your money better than you can. Love is my passion.

Where do you draw the line?
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

Enneagram
    9w8

Love is a good one...

When any of my core principles are violated, including my internal self, or when I am stretched too thin by all of my emotional flexing that I almost shatter. When it becomes unhealthy with no way of me fixing it, or when someone burns the body of my trust. When I stop being a person and start becoming a commodity of any kind.

What character (movie, book, etc) do you consider close to how you are as a person? Ye can name a specific trait or somesuch.

Enneagram
    8w9

From Wikipedia...

Dirk Lochlin Struan is the fictional main character of James Clavell's 1966 novel Tai-Pan. The title comes from a Cantonese term that Clavell loosely translates as "supreme leader", and Struan is the taipan or head of his own trading company in China, Struan's. In Clavell's literary universe, moreover, Struan is presented as the Tai-Pan, and his company as the Noble House, the greatest private trading company in nineteenth-century Asia. A Scotsman, "the devil Struan" is portrayed as a tough and resourceful rogue, endowed with vision and determination. A man of extremity, he is capable of tremendous love and terrible hate. He will stop at nothing to protect his home, his family, and the Noble House.

In the back-story as revealed in the novel, Struan begins his nautical adventures as a powder monkey on a King's ship at the battle of Trafalgar, and he remains bound to the sea for life. At the age of fourteen he finds service on an East India Company merchant ship to China, under the command of his future nemesis Tyler Brock. He suffers ruthless punishment from Brock and makes a holy oath to someday destroy him. On a fateful night the ship runs aground on a reef and sinks. Struan swims ashore and finds his way back to the local Portuguese trading settlement of Macao.

Thereafter Struan works only for himself; he starts by practising piracy on Chinese junks and uses them to make dangerous opium runs up the China coast. He expands his smuggling business and eventually masses a fleet of clipper ships and a large fortune. But Tyler Brock also survives the shipwreck to found his own company, Brock and Sons. The two rivals rise to dominate the China trade. But Struan is almost always a little stronger, a little smarter, and a little richer than his nemesis.

The enmity between Struan and Brock is a prominent theme in Clavell's Asian Saga. Struan dies in a typhoon before he can fulfil his oath to destroy Brock. Both men leave many children, legitimate and illegitimate, who take up their fathers' mantles and continue the battle. Thus begins a vicious cycle which lasts many years. It is passed down through the generations. The last descendant of Tyler Brock, Quillan Gornt, dies in a boating accident over 120 years later. After this accident there is no one from the Brock line left to threaten the Noble House.

Struan has a Chinese mistress, May-may, and their romance is developed within the conventions of the genre as the basis for the novel's optimistic theme of cross-cultural fusion.[1] The character also has several children who feature in the story, including Culum Struan, Winifred Dunross and Gordon Chen.

Clavell's hero was inspired by the historical William Jardine,[2][3] and the Noble House of Struan's is modelled on the real-life "Princely House" of Jardine, Matheson & Co of Hong Kong.[4]
    ^ without the adultery.

You?
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

Enneagram
    9w8

There is not one specifically, but certain aspects of these characters:

Ellen Ripley's grit and protective instincts, Shan Frankland's (from the Wess'har Wars series of books) devotion to doing right by the world with a gun in hand if necessary, and Mercy Thompson's (of the Mercedes Thompson series of novels) honesty with herself and approach to specific things in life.

What thought comes to mind to cheer you up during bad times?

Enneagram
    8w9

I'm in charge of my actions, and can make my future.

You?
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

Enneagram
    9w8

Normally I laugh about something in the situation, no matter how inappropriate. Example: when my father died I thought of how he would want to play a prank on people even beyond the grave - and of various ways to arrange one at a funeral... having a pre-recorded tape of him saying "Damn, it took me dying for you all to visit?" and hiding it in the casket during a viewing, or setting it up for him to sit bolt upright in the casket just as someone walked past, thusly scaring the figurative pants off of someone.

Macabre, but effective and not something I broadcasted at the time.

What is something ye unflinchingly require extremely high quality in?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    Normally I laugh about something in the situation, no matter how inappropriate. Example: when my father died I thought of how he would want to play a prank on people even beyond the grave - and of various ways to arrange one at a funeral... having a pre-recorded tape of him saying "Damn, it took me dying for you all to visit?" and hiding it in the casket during a viewing, or setting it up for him to sit bolt upright in the casket just as someone walked past, thusly scaring the figurative pants off of someone.

Macabre, but effective and not something I broadcasted at the time.

What is something ye unflinchingly require extremely high quality in?
    Anything I put my hands on.

What decade of the last 100 years fits you best?
    ~Live and learn from fools and from sages~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Enneagram
    8w9

@ zoom: Golf clubs, Vehicles, electronics, timepieces, clothes, furniture, lifestyle...

@ MDP: 60's

What interests you?
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

Enneagram
    9w8

In certain ways, the 1940's.

Edit: Gah! Interests - motorcycles, mechanics even though I don't understand beyond the basics, books, travelling and foreign cultures.

Same question about the decades - which one of the past 100 years fits you best?