User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    I__P
    Enneagram
    4 sp

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    The thees and thous are a bit much, though. Also, I bet you're an INFP.
    That was actually the only poem I used such words in, hence it stuck to my mind. But it's still waaaay better than most of the crap that I wrote.

Also, I bet you're an INFP.
    I've been anticipating if anyone would make a guess either way, and since I've been leaning towards INFP and inspired by you saying that, I'm going to change the type under my avatar into that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Teh annoying/boring.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Pretty complex for a fifteen year old. Don't be too embarassed. Good use of vocab. I approve.

The thees and thous are a bit much, though. Also, I bet you're an INFP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloriana View Post
    That is awesome. It's just plain awesome.

I have notebooks full of stuff like that from when I was fifteen/sixteen and you know what's weird? I shoved a lot of 'thee', 'thy', and 'thou' into my poems all the time back then too. What's with that? Elizabethan English lends weight to our suffering? lol
    Thanks for sharing and it's great you have a sense of humor about it.
    Actually it DOES, because it makes it more personal and direct. Not Elizabethan English as such, but the Thees and Thous, the familar form of the second person pronoun, that most people these days associate with that period.

The distinction has now largely been lost due to the fact that "You", originally the polite, distant, deferential form of address, has taken over in everyday use. But though the familiar form may be rather archaic in English, and seems quaint, old fashioned, and rather formal, even pretentious to most people due to the fact that they only usually encounter it in older literature, this impression is actually a little deceptive.

Variants of "Thou" are still used correctly to express familiarity in some forms of regional English (mostly in remote parts of the Uk where traditional dialects are still spoken), and it's still commonly used in religious literature when addressing the deity. In fact it's both traditional and appropriate to use "Thou" when addressing one's god, and until modern times would have been the natural and expected form of address for one's spouse, one's lover, one's children, one's close friends, even one's pets. Since it DOES express a more intimate sense of connection than "you", I think it's appropriate to use it in literature still in these kinds of contexts, particularly in poetry if you're trying to emphasise personal closeness. Providing you don't mind the fact that a lot of people will think it sounds quaint or pretentious, of course

It still has to be conjugated properly if you're going to use it at all though. Unlike "You", which preserves its plural roots (cf Vous in French, etc), Thou must always be singular, and has its own conjugation rules (probably part of the reason for it going out of everyday use, English speakers are particularly lazy about conjugating their verbs! I think we're spoiled compared to speakers of other languages on this one!). Therefore, for example:

Dost thou knowest, whom I pursue?
    How didst thou findest thy* way through
    All their warnings, didst thou not hear?
    Thou knowest this place they fear?
    * "Thy" and "Thine" work like "An" and "A" before a vowel
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by lucibelle View Post
    That was actually the only poem I used such words in, hence it stuck to my mind. But it's still waaaay better than most of the crap that I wrote.

I've been anticipating if anyone would make a guess either way, and since I've been leaning towards INFP and inspired by you saying that, I'm going to change the type under my avatar into that.
    I forgot to say when distracted with my lengthy explanation: it seemed like a pretty good effort considering your age. It was indeed rather emo-ish, but it was fluently written. I'm sure it's better than anything I would have done at 15, anyway!
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...