User Tag List

View Poll Results: Type most likely to use Ad Hominem in a debate?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • ESTJ

    0 0%
  • ESFJ

    5 27.78%
  • ENFJ

    2 11.11%
  • ENTJ

    2 11.11%
  • ESTP

    0 0%
  • ESFP

    1 5.56%
  • ENFP

    1 5.56%
  • ENTP

    4 22.22%
  • ISTP

    0 0%
  • ISFP

    1 5.56%
  • INFP

    0 0%
  • INTP

    0 0%
  • ISTJ

    0 0%
  • ISFJ

    1 5.56%
  • INFJ

    1 5.56%
  • INTJ

    0 0%
First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 46

  1. #21
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    Fixed. :workout:
    Uh huh, you were the one talking about licking asses - not me.

  2. #22
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    Hey I use baby wipes!

    But I drink too much coffee to make any guarantees.



  3. #23
    Senior Member Qre:us's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Uh huh, you were the one talking about licking asses - not me.
    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Hey I use baby wipes!

    But I drink too much coffee to make any guarantees.
    You both gave me an idea. Thanks!

  4. #24
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I'm remembering from speech class, which was closer to the definition given here

    and how about the idea of using accusations of "ad hominem attacks" against one's opponents as a response to disagreeing with one's ideas? is THAT an ad hominem fallacy?!
    I don't believe that's technically ad hominem because you are still addressing the argument rather than the other person. It is however a change of topic to some extents. But generally in argumentation it is considered valid and even the right thing to do to call out someone else's fallacy. But indeed, there are plenty of people who cry fallacy when there actually isn't one as a rhetorical tactic. That is wrong if for no other reason than that it is a definitively incorrect assertion.

    Now, if you made a slightly different argument, one that cocncluded something about the opponent's position because your opponent is the kind of person that uses ad hominems, that would be ad hominem.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  5. #25
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,122

    Default

    whatever it is, it's deserving of at least a pie in the face for being impolite, off topic, proving that the argument being presented is too weak to defend properly and just flat out annoying

    why can't people just argue like normal people and drop all of the high and mighty fallacy talk?

    (phallacy talk is a different matter though )
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  6. #26
    What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    1,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    I for one never use ad hominem in a debate, however I've been known to use it in a argument.

    The type that comes to mind is ENTJ, their douchbaggery has no ending.

    See what I did there.
    Your argument has so many gaps in it... It's like pissing into a bucket with no base... It's completely useless... Just like you...

    Hah, but you would know a thing or two about useless holes wouldn't you?

    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

    This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

    Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...



  7. #27
    Yeah, I can fly. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti
    Posts
    3,644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainne View Post
    Which type is most likely to use Ad hominem in an argument or debate lol
    ESFJ, followed by ENFJ.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

    Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

    Hayekian Asshole


  8. #28

    Default

    Libertarian.

  9. #29
    Ghost Monkey Soul Vizconde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    ENTPs can get frantic about "winning" debates and throw everything including the kitchen sink atcha just to see what sticks (they usually "win" too in the eyes of ignorant spectators).
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

  10. #30
    Reason vs Being ragashree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    1,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    ENTPs can get frantic about "winning" debates and throw everything including the kitchen sink atcha just to see what sticks (they usually "win" too in the eyes of ignorant spectators).
    Lol, only the ignorant ones though, I find it extremely funny when that happens; they seem to spend more time playing to said spectators than actually attending to what's being communicated. But there's also a tendency to run out of steam rather quickly if the tactic isn't having the desired effect (usually of winding the opponent up enough to get an emotional reaction or distracted from the issues they're strongest on).

    Hope this isn't contributing to the ENTP/INTP warfare on the site though!

    *not that the ENTPs will care, just that it's silly and I don't want to get involved *
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

Similar Threads

  1. type most likely to "stab someone in the back"
    By Scott N Denver in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 04-28-2014, 01:33 AM
  2. The type most likely to...
    By 527468 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-20-2009, 11:48 PM
  3. [MBTItm] Are NFs the types most likely to believe...
    By Ilah in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 12-05-2008, 01:31 AM
  4. Mind Manager tools & types who like to use them...?
    By alcea rosea in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-24-2008, 01:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO