User Tag List

View Poll Results: Type most likely to use Ad Hominem in a debate?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • ESTJ

0 0%
  • ESFJ

5 27.78%
  • ENFJ

2 11.11%
  • ENTJ

2 11.11%
  • ESTP

0 0%
  • ESFP

1 5.56%
  • ENFP

1 5.56%
  • ENTP

4 22.22%
  • ISTP

0 0%
  • ISFP

1 5.56%
  • INFP

0 0%
  • INTP

0 0%
  • ISTJ

0 0%
  • ISFJ

1 5.56%
  • INFJ

1 5.56%
  • INTJ

0 0%
First 1234 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

ad hominem, from what I remember reading, is using a personal attack in a manner to undermine the validity of one's opponent's argument, correct?

I prefer to just make fun of my opponent most of the time, ad homineming takes too much seriousness
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    ad hominem, from what I remember reading, is using a personal attack in a manner to undermine the validity of one's opponent's argument, correct?

I prefer to just make fun of my opponent most of the time, ad homineming takes too much seriousness
    Well, whatever, an ad hominem is actually a bit broader than your definition, I think, because it does not have to be an "attack" per se (though it often is or comes out like one). It need only be a redirection of focus to the opponent themselves, typically to either avoid the topic, or infer something about the topic from the nature of the arguer.

I find that the wiki article puts it a little differently and better than I did.
    an attempt to link the validity of a premise to a characteristic or belief of the person advocating the premise.
    Hmm, I guess that doesn't include sheer distraction, though. I suppose at that point the ad hominem would instead be red herring? I don't see why it can't be both, but oh well, there it is.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Anyhow, it seems to me that you all have done a great job of shouldering the blame together. So I'm not voting for a type.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm remembering from speech class, which was closer to the definition given here

and how about the idea of using accusations of "ad hominem attacks" against one's opponents as a response to disagreeing with one's ideas? is THAT an ad hominem fallacy?!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Some individuals who come to mind, on this site...I'll just report them by their type:

INFJ [like hell yes!] - I zee your true motivation for why you question me. Oh, I know all! It's really about you, isn't it? ISN'T IT?!!! Don't deny;
    the harder you deny, the more it speaks to the "truth". You can't save face now. Ha!

ENFP [like whoa!] - You are a filthy, dirty person and I'm going to stop answering on topic and accuse you of making an ad hominem attack, which is actually an ad hominem attack itself. Oh...the mind explodes!

ENTJ [like ew!] - I have nothing productive to say, so let's just attack your competence and your credibility. If you disagree, you leave me with no choice but to say it again, and again...and again...and again. I will even follow you around, to tell you so in a completely unrelated thread. My work is not done until I force make you see the error of your ways.

INFP [like really?!] - This feels completely like an attack. What do you mean it's not a personal attack? I feel attacked. Of course, therefore, it is an attack. , :steam:, I hope you can look at yourself in the mirror, the next day! Dirty, rotten scoundrel.

INTJ [like bitch, please!] - I see you have found the holes in my argument, so rather than concede, I will make it as if I'm pitying you. The fool. Is it working? Is it? Is it? *clears throat* I mean....of course, it is!

MBTI
    yupp

I AM NOT like that. I just think people are sort of assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I just think people are sort of assholes.
    Oh yeah, the shitty kind, not the lickable kind.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    INFJ [like hell yes!] - I zee your true motivation for why you question me. Oh, I know all! It's really about you, isn't it? ISN'T IT?!!! Don't deny; the harder you deny, the more it speaks to the "truth". You can't save face now. Ha!
    :yim_phbbbbt: That's all I have to say.....asslicker!

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Uh-huh, I see which kind yours is. Telling.... [ohhh, I think I'm on topic with this one!]

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    :yim_phbbbbt: That's all I have to say.....asskicker!
    Fixed. :workout: