First 123

Thread: The Arctic

MBTI
    esTJ
    Enneagram
    875 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESTx

I have never lived far north, but I have visited Alaska. The endless summertime sunshine was amazing, but it kind of made me manic. When I'd call loved ones back home, they told me I sounded manic. I think it was the endless sunshine on top of excitement about being there. I was there for eight days, and I think there were only two nights that I was able to sleep for more than four hours at a stretch. It was totally trippy to be watching the 10 PM news and have it be bright as daylight outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I have heard that you can grow like GIGANTIC pumpkins and stuff too, because there is so much daylight. Can anyone verify it?
    List of record-setting vegetables from the Alaska State Fair:
    http://www.alaskastatefair.org/2009/...Vegetables.pdf
    No pictures in that link, but HOLY SHIT CAN YOU IMAGINE A SIXTEEN POUND RADISH.
    Murphy Brown: What is it with us? Why can't we take the easy road once in awhile?
    Avery Brown: Because it's boring and dishonest and uncomfortable, like wearing a pair of shoes all day that pinch your feet.

approx 55% ES, 90% TJ

That is FABULOUS.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    You know, Antarctic flora baffles me.

Once, well back in the prehistoric times, there were forests at the south pole. Now how on earth did all of these plants survive nearly 6 months without sunlight?
    I think it has moved south. Originally I believe the continent was in the tropics.

I also think it was connected to Australia until relatively recently in geological terms.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I also think it [Antarctica] was connected to Australia until relatively recently in geological terms.
    Yes, we still have Antarctic Beech Trees in Tasmania.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I do NOT want to think of the world wearing a Pearl Necklace
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I do NOT want to think of the world wearing a Pearl Necklace
    I hate to break it to ya - but it's a twinset and pearls.

And the pearls are set in the blue of the oceans, but you need to look at the world from a particular angle to see that the four pearls form a straight line draped around the neck of the world - from Australia to Antarctica to South America to North America.

Sure, I don't like breaking it to ya - we are first and you are unfortunately the last pearl - but don't blame me, it's just the way the pearls fall around the Earth.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

apparently modern lingo hasn't worked it's way through the age groups yet
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Oberon

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne3XojNonEU"]Educational Video for Victor[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Does anybody here live really far north? What time does the sun set for you? What do you do with the extra daylight hours? Do you tend to go to bed a lot later in the summertime?

Please, give me some quantitative and qualitative details about this.
    i lived in finnish lakeland for a little while. around 60 N 25 E.

in the middle of winter sun rose at 10ish and set at 3ish. i slept a lot. also a lot of sauna. and drinking.

in the summertime the sun only set (and it was only like twilight, never really night) for an hour or two, evenutally around 12:30. birds chirped at like 3:30 am. i was awake a lot more and went on walks and stuff. sometimes i would just choose a direction and start jogging. people were out and about at 4:30, i wasn't the only one. but my sleep schedule got really bizarre, like falling asleep around 7 am and waking up around 3 pm. oh and we would jump in the lake after sauna instead of rolling around naked in the snow.

i miss finland. and finnish food.