User Tag List

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFp

Default Does anyone remember "Slam Books?"

"Slam Books" were these little spiral notebooks in middle school that were passed around the bus or the lunchroom.

At the top of each page was a kid's name, and you would write on there what you thought of each of them without signing your name. Then when it was your turn you couldn't wait to read your page.

It was exciting and scary at the same time, watching everybody watching themselves being judged.

The things they said about me were usually nice and fun, but I remember not liking how it affected me so much. Knowing I was gonna read it, but not really wanting to.

I was just musing about this online community and it popped into my head for the first time in years. This is sort of like that, at least to me.

This is my first online community.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Very interesting!

Maybe I'm older than you, but I don't remember "Slam Books."

We had "Mad Libs" and basically if you wanted top "Slam" someone you had plenty of opportunity to do so via including them in a deranged "Mad Lib."

That is an interesting parallel to social networking in a paper format vs. the modern online model...
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFp

Yeah, nothing new under the sun.

We're always doing it to some degree, right? Judging each other I mean.

Taking in data, processing it, and then releasing it back out into our surroundings. After running it all through our own personal filters of course.

I guess that's what personality is -- the sum of those actions.

In our "Slam Books," kids wrote both physical and mental descriptors. I never worried too much about the physical. I was confident enough about it, and even then I knew I couldn't do much about it anyway.

It was the comments on personailty that piqued my interest. Those were the things I could change, at least to some degree, and it was interesting.

I guess that fascination with the quantification of personality is what's brought us all here, and that's why I remembered our "Slam Books" after being here a few weeks.

---

Funny aside: the teachers took them away from us of course, but I always saw them sneaking a peak before they threw them away. The teachers were a part of that dynamic too, and in ways that we kids could never understand.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFp

"Mad Libs" were cool too. They required a certain amount of creativity and innuendo. I think they came later in my childhood though.

"Slam Books" were in 5th and 6th grades -- just when we started learning some of the more complex social skills.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I wonder what would happen if someone re-released "Slam Books" now?

Would kids take the bait?

Or are they so "Facebooked" that they've forgotten how to care about interacting with others IRL?

I can't tell you how many young kids (12-20) I see walking around, texting on their phone, and not paying attention to the parking lot they are traversing through. It's kind of scary, actually. :horor:
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Oh I am not sure I saw these 'slam books' either (maybe I was a couple years before or after you, generationally?). We did do something a little bit similar at my church youth group one time, though, but the idea was to write something kind or something you admired about the person on a page of paper and then at the end they got to keep it.

I am with you... there can be a kind of perverse fascination with how others perceive me.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    esTJ
    Enneagram
    875 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESTx

We did a slam book once, my friends and I in junior high, because we'd read about it in some book and it sounded like fun.

I got my feelings hurt so badly.
    Murphy Brown: What is it with us? Why can't we take the easy road once in awhile?
    Avery Brown: Because it's boring and dishonest and uncomfortable, like wearing a pair of shoes all day that pinch your feet.

approx 55% ES, 90% TJ

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFp

^^^ Bummer my friend, but I bet you turned out better that any of those losers. You're okay in my book, and that counts for something.

MBTI
    esTJ
    Enneagram
    875 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESTx

Aww! Likewise

The girl who wrote the really nasty thing is still my best friend. We're more adult in our communications now. But you're right, I have no idea what happened to the rest of them, but I doubt that it was awesome.
    Murphy Brown: What is it with us? Why can't we take the easy road once in awhile?
    Avery Brown: Because it's boring and dishonest and uncomfortable, like wearing a pair of shoes all day that pinch your feet.

approx 55% ES, 90% TJ

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

yes, totally