User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 74

  1. #41
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    The problem with the anti-ban crowd on this site is that they are likely to refer to a monkey throwing its poop as someone thinking outside of the box.
    Some might call that genius.

  2. #42
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Frankly, I'm not sure what the point of Graveyard stints are. I think temp bans (even short ones, like two weeks or a month) are a better idea because:

    1. It gives people the same chance to change as a Graveyard stint (which you rightly imply people deserve despite the unlikeliness of any epiphany.)

    2. Temp bans let everyone cool off, instead of giving the aggrieved party a chance to continue to stir the pot in a LESS moderated area.
    The thinking is generally just that a GY stint is less harsh than an outright ban and removal from the community -- we're trying to minimize the amount of intervention needed. We also wanted to give people a "wake up" call rather than an outright ban, hoping they'd take it to heart and be motivated to change. Members have also publicly spoken out for a GY stint, believing a ban might have been unnecessary or too harsh.

    Unfortunately, in reality, people who end up GY'ed don't seem to be the sort who really much care to change what they're doing (note that a large portion of the community never receives an infraction during their stay here, or they get one infraction and then change what they're doing so as not to get more), so it's quite possible ... even if used as "due process"... the GY reprieve ends up just prolonging the inevitable.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  3. #43
    Lallygag Moderator Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    5,584

    Default

    This thread is interesting/helpful feedback. Thanks guys.

  4. #44

    Default

    I reckon this site is VERY fair in terms of its moderation and its bannings havent ever seemed harsh, I've got an infraction but in hindsight it was fair, I'd gotten angry and sounded off in a way that wasnt appropriate and someone experienced wrath I'd pretty much stored up from something else altogether.

    Its one of the few forums of its kind where there are consequences for the sorts of behaviour which would meet with approbation and censor in most social gatherings or interaction in reality. All that without just making certain topics "unspeakable" such as sexuality and politics (and I know forums which have gone down that road of no abortion debates, no gun debates, no feminism debates, no sexuality debates).

    Its not heavy handed by any stretch, I've encountered that, and its not a total free for all, encountered that too, I can honestly say that from the time I created my account to the time I actually began to frequent the forum its gotten a lot better, I was initially put off visiting. The fact its such a great place and it works so well is one of the reasons I visit so much and post so much, even if that proves an annoyance.

    Proteanmix's current signature and link there of I think explains a lot about online behaviour or just behaviour per se, sometimes its amplified online.

  5. #45

    Default

    The other thing, which I've mentioned before in the Mod Box and other threads is this is ultimately a private forum, its not a democracy, its not a plebescence or anything else, the rules are made persumably by the people who carry the cost/expense and I think that should be respected. They created a great place, its taken work to put it in the shape its in. Its good as a feedback function to query bans, maybe, but ultimately its their call.

  6. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Its one of the few forums of its kind where there are consequences for the sorts of behaviour which would meet with approbation and censor in most social gatherings or interaction in reality.
    I think this is what really bugs people who chafe at what they consider over-moderation. They have to conform to standards set by other people in their "real" lives and see the internet as a place where they should be able to escape consequence through relative anonymity. Which would work fine if all the other people on the forum weren't actually real people.

    Often I think some treat the real world vs. the forum world as they would sex with a real person vs. sex with a doll. You have to accommodate the feelings and desires of another when you have sex with a real person, but when you go home to a sex doll, you can smack it around, take out your frustrations on it, and simulate your fantasies on it. The problem is, in the case of a forum, the doll is as real as anyone you meet on the street.

    A weird comparison to make, maybe, but I think an apt one.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  7. #47
    Senior Member matmos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    NICE
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    ????????????

    What is this culture?


    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Often I think some treat the real world vs. the forum world as they would sex with a real person vs. sex with a doll. You have to accommodate the feelings and desires of another when you have sex with a real person, but when you go home to a sex doll, you can smack it around, take out your frustrations on it, and simulate your fantasies on it.
    The voice of experience?

  8. #48
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Often I think some treat the real world vs. the forum world as they would sex with a real person vs. sex with a doll. You have to accommodate the feelings and desires of another when you have sex with a real person, but when you go home to a sex doll, you can smack it around, take out your frustrations on it, and simulate your fantasies on it. The problem is, in the case of a forum, the doll is as real as anyone you meet on the street.

    A weird comparison to make, maybe, but I think an apt one.
    In any case, Lars treated Bianca with respect even if she was only a RealGirl.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I think this is what really bugs people who chafe at what they consider over-moderation. They have to conform to standards set by other people in their "real" lives and see the internet as a place where they should be able to escape consequence through relative anonymity. Which would work fine if all the other people on the forum weren't actually real people.

    Often I think some treat the real world vs. the forum world as they would sex with a real person vs. sex with a doll. You have to accommodate the feelings and desires of another when you have sex with a real person, but when you go home to a sex doll, you can smack it around, take out your frustrations on it, and simulate your fantasies on it. The problem is, in the case of a forum, the doll is as real as anyone you meet on the street.

    A weird comparison to make, maybe, but I think an apt one.
    You own a sex doll???!!!????

  10. #50

    Default

    I should have known better. I've posted in the gun appreciation thread too. I should probably specify that I have never shot anyone.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

Similar Threads

  1. [ENTP] How to Be an ENTP in Thirty Days (± NTProcrastination)
    By Kenneth Almighty in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 09-21-2010, 07:05 PM
  2. Preseason Football begins in ten days!
    By pure_mercury in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 09-23-2009, 02:58 PM
  3. Replies: 88
    Last Post: 12-08-2008, 03:00 PM
  4. Best way to get sick in a day
    By prplchknz in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11-02-2008, 04:56 PM
  5. The most members online in one day was 360, Today
    By INTJMom in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-15-2008, 03:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO