User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

This forum is not too moderated, because it's members are too intelligent to misbehave.

I just read a thread where every member claimed their IQ was above 140 (Hey Mensa!! why haven't you found these people??)

In light of that, when you walk among the geniuses of the world, policing is not needed.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    It's like spring cleaning. I like it.

PLUS ONE!
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    I would prefer if most of them (if justified) would simply get sent to the Graveyard instead of being banned.

Why is a short stay in the Graveyard not sufficient in most cases?

I think Typo C is going through its Draconian era.

Maybe limit banning via TypoC jury trial, with the benefit of due process, assumption of innocence and independent counsel.
    ^I approve of the above post!

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Z and SW were a bit harsh, in my views, but Lex had it coming... anyone who tells me that people like me should be bred out with eugenics is an asshole

* and no, I didn't report him, but I'm glad he's gone!
    Lulz, because you're a Stupid S, I suppose?!!?

Lex had/has issues.

Angry and misguided young lad.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I was definitely surprised at the two months for Sim but of course, there is a lot of stuff the mods know that we don't, like how many times he was warned about particular things. I'll miss his posts over the next couple of months.
    I concur, I accepted sim as part of this community, his presence will be missed.

And, I have never read a post of his that has been inappropriate, hostile and aggressive?

Yes, inappropriate?

No.

Overall, I definitely think he *added* to the community.

To a lesser extent, only because of time, I feel the same way for Z.

Z was prone to making ad hominem attacks, but he still brought his opinions to the community.

I guess you can say the same for Lex.

I dunno, Jack Flak was the only member who has been perma-banned that I actually fully and wholly agreed with.

He was omnipresent on the boards, so you could never get away from him, and he was so nasty and downright mean to other people, that I think his presence was a net loss for all of us.

So, his lack of presence is a net gain, woot!

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    My question is, why are these bans announced?
    I love that the mods do this, it's about transparency.

I was permabanned from my last forum, and in a second, lost my community, they liked/cared about me, the mods didn't. And they had no idea what the fuck happened to me, I just vanished....

Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    This forum is too heavily moderated.
    Sometimes I feel this way, too.

But it is MUCH better than my last forum, so, what are you gonna do...

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    It's like spring cleaning. I like it.
    Why am I not surprised by your sentiment.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Z and SW were a bit harsh, in my views, but Lex had it coming... anyone who tells me that people like me should be bred out with eugenics is an asshole

* and no, I didn't report him, but I'm glad he's gone!
    It's weird, I don't mind "harsh".

It is rare, but when someone exudes a certain kind of infectious nastiness, then, and only then, will I think that their presence is categorically negative, and should then be removed from the community.

But it's hard, more often than not, I think that there are enough people on this forum that niches form, and people will find the consolation and stimulation they need by whomever.

But there also seems to be a lot of people, usually frequent lurkers who seem to care about I dunno, preserving the "integrity" of the forum.

I don't know.

Like I said, JF was the only person I've come across, thus far, whom I deemed as a despicable human being, everyone else, misguided as they might have been, I thought, in their own special way added.

But, I'm not a mod, nor would I ever have the patience to be one, so, who knows.

Just glad that this place exists, and more importantly, tthat the diverse and interesting community therein continues to be/grow.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I meant that the punishments that they got were a bit harsh

I don't mind if you argue as long as your not being prejudiced against someone or proposing getting rid of them

the day that JF was banned I do admit to experiencing the most wonderful sense of joy though... people who are worse post whores than I was at my worst are SCARY
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    I think Typo C is going through its Draconian era.
    This always happens when we get new mods. There is a bit of vendetta setting straight.
    I blame AJ!

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Because I doubt anyone can cite an instance in which someone sent to the Graveyard was a changed man upon his release.
    What's the point of it then? Why don't we just get rid of people whenever we've made up our minds about them?
    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I wish there was more of an explanation, with some of them. Especially with Sim, because I'm not sure if he was acting very different from his usual self when he was banned (and by "usual self", I mean that he was worthy of infractions almost constantly imho), and I would be very curious as to why he was banned now, instead of way earlier.
    The explanation was a "straw that broke the camel's back" type of deal. IOW, a flimsy one.

MacGuffin (ex-mod) said something telling in another thread about a graveyard stint invariably being followed by a ban. This is the model that is followed. You also find permabans following tempbans as night follows day. The "unreformed" argument doesn't wash since the slate doesn't get wiped. (E.g. A "staw" will get one person a 2 mth ban. A 'rafter' (like calling someone a "fucking cunt" and completely slandering their character, unprovoked, will get you a thread ban, maybe - but only if people regard it as "out of character"). I see the main function of GY/tempbans as managing the membership's expectations/ potential disgruntlement.

People form impressions of each other in a forum like this that are hard to overturn. Mud sticks. Case in point, I called Zaruthrustra out for trolling a thread. To which he replied "no one has ever accused me of trolling before". But pretty soon, everyone was accusing him of it. Is this because his posting behaviour was suddenly altered? (Personally, I always thought he was obnoxious, but I managed to avoid him for the most part.)

I think two things happen: 1) the general perception swings towards regarding the person as a "negative influence" (sheeple are easily persuaded). 2) the person feels attacked which sometimes makes them hostile and defensive, then things escalate more often than not.
    This is why I'm (generally) not in favour of calling people trolls (unless it is really beyond doubt).
    In this case, it was a good call. I don't know about SW though - I enjoyed a lot of his posts. At least he was intelligent and knowledgeable about MBTI.

Anyone capable of independent thought is not always going to agree with mod decisions - that's just how it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    What's the point of it then? Why don't we just get rid of people whenever we've made up our minds about them?
    Frankly, I'm not sure what the point of Graveyard stints are. I think temp bans (even short ones, like two weeks or a month) are a better idea because:

1. It gives people the same chance to change as a Graveyard stint (which you rightly imply people deserve despite the unlikeliness of any epiphany.)

2. Temp bans let everyone cool off, instead of giving the aggrieved party a chance to continue to stir the pot in a LESS moderated area.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by SillySapienne View Post

Like I said, JF was the only person I've come across, thus far, whom I deemed as a despicable human being, everyone else, misguided as they might have been, I thought, in their own special way added.
    I won't argue your thoughts on Jack Flak being "despicable" (since that's highly objective), however, as far as typology discussions go, he added quite a bit. A lot more than the majority of people here do.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    ESFJ

3 bans in 3 days .. That's unfortunate.

I don't think anyone should get banned .. If people don't think outside the box and cause a little controversy every now and again .. How stagnant would/could possibly this place become .. Just like within society, sometimes rules need to be broken to create a new way of thinking.

I think we need an uprising

I say we bring on a subsection where we can argue discuss situations in a hormone induced calm manner.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    3 bans in 3 days .. That's unfortunate.

I don't think anyone should get banned .. If people don't think outside the box and cause a little controversy every now and again .. How stagnant would/could possibly this place become .. Just like within society, sometimes rules need to be broken to create a new way of thinking.

I think we need an uprising

I say we bring on a subsection where we can argue discuss situations in a hormone induced calm manner.
    The problem with the anti-ban crowd on this site is that they are likely to refer to a monkey throwing its poop as someone thinking outside of the box.

And as for the subsection idea, go see the thread that is precisely about that.
    Go to sleep, iguana.