User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    The photos of sparse living environments remind me of the days when I used to live that way, when everything I owned fit in my bedroom, when hardly anything hung on my walls. At the beginning of our marriage, we were pretty poor, but we've progressed quite a bit. This is the first really prosperous year we've had in 25 years. But I remember well what it's like to not own much, and to tell the truth, it's a lot easier to take care of!
    I don't live that way due to poorness. Rather, I live that way due to choice. Curiously, the poorest people I know tend to have a lot of really cheap stuff, while the wealthiest people I know have a relatively-small amount of expensive stuff they seldom use. The less money you have the more stuff you must have. I guess it also matters on what kind of shape the owners and their possessions are in. For example, my minimal use of the kitchen reflects the fact that I eat out for almost every meal. It reflects one's ability to afford selling or throwing away things not immediately needed, to pay someone to do occasional tasks that require special equipment, the ability to keep everything in built-in storage, etc. I believe that a structure should serve the occupant(s) as much as possible, it's better than filling the gaps with furniture and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    filthy?! *collapses* Above your dining table, I'm not sure, but the hanging plants look like some sort of Tillandsia? But what is the mother plant in the pot then?
    My Tillandsia aeranthos is perched on the vase at the center of the mantle. That is a common variegated spider plant (Chlorophytum comosum (in fact, Variegatum)), which is great for hanging in the middle of a large empty room like that.

I have a number of orchids visible in those photos (a few Cattleya/Laelia hybrids, an Epidendrum, and a Dendrobium), as well as a clump of small palm trees, a Crassula ovata, and a kangaroo foot fern (Microsorum diversifolium).
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    I don't live that way due to poorness. Rather, I live that way due to choice.
    I don't think she was saying that others who live minimally are poor or have little money, but that was the case for them.
    In my mind it's the ultimate way to show off because owning less things implies that you have more things done for you. The poorest people I know tend to have a lot of really cheap stuff, while the wealthiest people I know have a small amount of expensive stuff. I guess it also matters on what kind of shape they and their possessions are in. For example, my minimal use of the kitchen reflects the fact that I eat out for almost every meal.
    I am curious why you think that owning less shows that you're materialistically wealthier? I know people who have very nice homes, but have gone into serious debt furnishing it with Ethan Allen and HDTV's in every room. It's a common thing around here to live above your means. And people of all classes eat out! Lower income families eat out all the time around here. Do they not in California? These days I prefer to eat in because I am trying to watch what I eat and eating out isn't very calorie friendly or healthy imo.

If you ever get married, have a wedding and invite guests, you will receive quite of few items for your home mos of which you'll pick out yourself. If you choose to have children you'll add more stuff. There are 5 of us in our household and over the years we have accumulated many items. Some of them were inexpensive price wise because I love a bargain. If I see something I like, I will find it cheaper somewhere else. When you say cheap stuff are you referring to the quality of the item/s or the condition? In any case no matter how much you have, if you're organized it will look nice.

I really like the minimalist designs featured here.

This would be a great look for your bedroom.

Here is a nicely decorated living room with lots of stuff that doesn't look cheap or imply that the owner is "poor".

Time is a delicate mistress.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I don't think she was saying that others who live minimally are poor or have little money, but that was the case for them.
    I am curious why you think that owning less shows that you're wealthier?
    I explained myself better in my edit.

I know people who have very nice homes and have gone into serious debt furnishing it with Ethan Allen with HDTV's in every room.
    Going into debt for it is silly. I dislike television, hence I don't own one. I do have a new laptop (the other one laying on the desk is a year old) and assorted related equipment, though.

It's a common thing around here to live above your means. And people of all classes eat out! Lower income families eat out all the time around here. Do they not in California? These days I prefer to eat in because I am trying to watch what I eat and eating out isn't very calorie friendly.
    They live above their means everywhere. I'm sensible and in some cases openly cheap. I eat out due to laziness, but I don't eat crap as some do (you know, fast food). I do maintain a stock of assorted goodies that I don't go out for (fruits, mainly).

If you ever get married, have a wedding and invite guests, you will receive quite of few items for your home.
    Highly unlikely, and less likely with each asserted prerequisite.

If you choose to have children you'll add more stuff.
    Even less likely, but, each person needs some amount of stuff, it's true.

When you say cheap stuff are you referring to the quality of the item/s or the condition?
    Poor quality and therefore inexpensive. Honestly, I'd rather have most of my stuff constructed for me by an artisan, it's just hard to find such people anymore. (Clothing/Furniture/etc)

In any case no matter how much you have, if you're organized it will look nice.
    True, but it's also a function of space and the ability to get by with the amount you can keep in the area you possess.

I really like the minimalist designs featured here.
    Nice.

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

I have a number of orchids visible in those photos (a few Cattleya/Laelia hybrids, an Epidendrum, and a Dendrobium), as well as a clump of small palm trees, a Crassula ovata, and a kangaroo foot fern (Microsorum diversifolium).
    Exquisite taste in orchids, Wolf. Those have the intensity of colour and grace in shape, (fragrance?) that many lack. Trying to figure out how you accomodate the different temperature requirements - thought the Epidendrums were more tropical? Have a hard time getting my Epidendrums to flower though.

I find it interesting the contrast; spartan furnishings, but beautiful, showy orchids. Would be nice to see them in bloom against your rooms. Or perchance you are having them mainly in white too?

I keep some of my orchids hanging actually - use a mix of tree-bark, wire, fern fibre and moss to make a structure, then attach the orchids to them. That way I can have them hanging against walls much like a sculpture.

Right now I have a baby Dendrobium gouldii ->Attachment 1087,

Two Epidendrums, and a couple of Renantheras and other Dendrobs. I had a burgundy wine-red hybrid of a Vanda (I think it was an Ascocenda) but couldn't manage it - it konked in a year.

Looked like this but deeper tone: Attachment 1082

I'm looking for a nice Aerangis, Attachment 1083

or Chysis next;

these are epiphytic and can be shaped to grow downwards, so it could add a good dimension to a hanging wall piece.

An Anguloa as a standalone Attachment 1085
    would be great too, but I'm not sure I could manage that one.
    Last edited by white; 02-19-2009 at 09:36 PM.

MBTI
    istp

Ooooh, fwowers!

Back on topic people! *cracks whip*

Jen: Nice looking places... very zen!

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    Ooooh, fwowers!

Back on topic people! *cracks whip*

Jen: Nice looking places... very zen!
    *ouch.. rubs bum* that was on topic! Those are what I have in my place or plan to have!

Edit: Eh Gray, I did post pictures of my room earlier in the thread.

*prods topic back to OP before I get eaten by a bear*

MBTI
    istp

I'm trying to keep this 'ere boat from crashing into the idle-chatter iceberg!

Now are you gonna be a good first mate or am I gonna have to send you down to swab the poop deck!?

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    Exquisite taste in orchids, Wolf. Those have the intensity of colour and grace in shape, (fragrance?) that many lack. Trying to figure out how you accomodate the different temperature requirements - thought the Epidendrums were more tropical? Have a hard time getting my Epidendrums to flower though.
    Curious - my Epidendrum is positively the most reliable-flowering orchid I have (slightly beating out Lc Secret Love, which blooms every three months all year round). The thing literally blooms perpetually, unless the ants get to it, then it'll drop the flowers, but there are plenty of canes prepared to start as soon as those all drop. I do happen to have very nearly perfect weather for them, though. It takes essentially nothing more than a window, water, and fertilizer to get Epidendrums and Cattleyas to thrive and bloom here.

I find it interesting the contrast; spartan furnishings, but beautiful, showy orchids. Would be nice to see them in bloom against your rooms. Or perchance you are having them mainly in white too?
    Actually, no, they are all in striking colors. One is bright, almost surreal, lavender (Lc Secret Love). Another is bright red (Lc Rojo). Another is fuchsia (Epidendrum). ... They're all different and colorful.

I'm planning a new growing system for them, once I come to a solid conclusion on how to make it efficient and attractive. Until then I grow them in coarse bark in glass containers.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

*casts a spell of resurrection on a long-gone thread*

I had a cleaning day!

Pictures of your living environment/how clean are you?-huone0-jpg

Pictures of your living environment/how clean are you?-huone1-jpg

Pictures of your living environment/how clean are you?-huone2-jpg

Pictures of your living environment/how clean are you?-huone3-jpg

Pictures of your living environment/how clean are you?-huone4-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]