User Tag List

Oberon

Default Fun retro music video

I am interested in many things retro. The other day I was fiddling around on YouTube (Google video searches, actually) and looking at old recordings of the Andrews Sisters. I had just watched a video production of them doing "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B," when I saw to the right that someone had done up a cut-n-paste audio and video edit they called "Andrews Sisters vs. Christina Aguilera."

So I click on it, and apparently it's a remix of "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" with a Christina Aguilera song titled "Candyman." The songs and the video worked together quite nicely, and the pieces of the Aguilera video were a retro hoot.

So I sought out the Aguilera video for "Candyman" and watched it. In it, Christina apparently plays all three of the Andrews sisters. It has a delightful 1940's flavor about it, and the song is downright snappy.

I can't post a link to it from work, but I recommend you go to Google video and look it up. If this song and video are old news in the big wide world, please forgive me; I hadn't ever seen it before this past weekend.

If you see the remix video in your searches, that's worth a look too.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm actually really happy that Christina decided to go retro after calming down and getting married and such! I love old music and I think she's gorgeous!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Oberon

So you've seen the video, then.

Is it newish, or has it been out a while?

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

YouTube - Boogie Woogie Candyman

mmmm hhhmmm I'll take it
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

Oberon

Had you seen this before, targs?

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

no I haven't but I love that classic sound....

some other classic sounds are
    Amy Winehouses ~ Rehad
    Fergies ~ Clumsy
    Jully Black ~ Seven Day fool
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

MBTI
    eNFP

I saw part of it awhile back and was really excited because I love that style of music and (though I wouldn't call myself a fan) I think Christina Aguilera has a really nice voice. One of the first things I thought was "wow, this is just like Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy!" But that's okay; that song is so cool that I guess she has permission to basically restyle it. However, I was really disappointed with the unnecessary crude oversexualization of the whole thing; it kind of ruined what could have been a great song.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by autumn View Post
    However, I was really disappointed with the unnecessary crude oversexualization of the whole thing; it kind of ruined what could have been a great song.
    Well, compared with the Andrews Sisters, I can see your point. On the other hand, I think Ms. Aguilera was not only trying to evoke the Andrews Sisters, but a whole era; hence the brief scenes inside the diner, the shots of her impersonating "Rosie the Riveter," and her dance bit inside the airplane hangar (in which she looked like nothing so much as a piece of bomber art).

And though it's not widely known these days, the paintings on the bomber fuselages frequently featured nudity. The officers in charge figured that if they were going to be about the business of war and sending men to their deaths in these big dangerous machines, they weren't about to balk at a "girly pic."

All of which is to say that Aguilera's video is much cleaner than it otherwise might have been.