User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: I before E

MBTI
    INTJ

Default I before E

I before E, except after C, and when things get weird.

Anyone else frustrated by the holes in this damn rule?

MBTI
    INFP

Incredibly so. I've been known to avoid words I wasn't sure about due to this.

MBTI
    ENTP

???
    I never heard about this rule. I always learn the spelling of English words by heart. How else?
    Why oh why isn't there an one-to-one relation between letter and sound, like an alphabet should work actually?
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Agreed entirely, it's silly as. We could just use the rule NO MATTER WHAT, and when people try to correct us, reply with a shut-the-f**kuppercut.
    5 3 9

That rule is so WEIRD.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

It's not a rule because I have not recognized it. I don't believe it's useful either, by heart is the way to go.

MBTI
    IxTx
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    LSE

That's what you get when you ask English majors to write instructions.
    online test: 6ISTP/5INTP/5INTJ/3ISTJ/1ISFP/1ENFJ
    people's suggestion: 1ISFP
    ......../ Bunny says,......\
    ........\Ask me anything./
    ............)/
    ./\_/\..../
    (O .O)
    [^_u )

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    ???
    I never heard about this rule. I always learn the spelling of English words by heart. How else?
    Why oh why isn't there an one-to-one relation between letter and sound, like an alphabet should work actually?
    Becausing spelling was standardised by a bunch of academics who felt a need to try and peserve the origin of words in the way they were spelled. Thus you get ph worlds like phlegm (instead of just flem) to indicate the greek origin of the word. I'm sure that's all very nice... but not terribly practical.

The king james Bible was also very influencial. It sold a lot of copies, and the spellings in it became common, but the book was deliberately written in a "ye olde" fashion to make it sound more authoritive.

This site has some interesting information about it

The History of English: Spelling and Standardization (Suzanne Kemmer)

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

???
    I take it you're not dyslexic then. People with even mild dyslexia (and there are quite a lot around, it doesn't necessarily reflect on their overall intelligence) find it hard enough to memorise the sequence of even phonetically regular spellings correctly; it's almost impossible for many dyslexic people to learn counter-intuitive spellings without useful little rules of this kind. As for the second part, sadly English has far too many different vowel sounds, foreign loan words, and competing authoritative standards for a comprehensive 1-1 correspondence for the whole language to be established now, if it ever was possible.

Oh, it's worth remembering the full version of the rule. There are still a lot of exceptions, but at least many of the major and freqently encountered words are covered:

"I before E except after C, or when sounding like "A" as in "neighbour" or "weigh".
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet.

The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later.

Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all.

Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants.

Bai iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x" -- bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez -- tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivli.

Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.