User Tag List

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Default One man's INTP is another man's rag on a stick...

cheese

How many INTPs out there can really assert themselves? Can you be brutally mean so that you get your own way? Or do you let things slide to much... I reckon some might because of a tendancy to be nihilisitic. Nihilistic-> nothing matters-> let it slide maaaaan
    5 3 9

MBTI
    INTJ

My male INTP friend has asserts authority over my other friend (ISTP?). He can also argue a point for as long as I can, and better, though he's not right as often as me, so we come out about even.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Come to think of it, this probably applies to INTJs too, and possibly the occasional INFP
    5 3 9

MBTI
    INTJ

What? Nihilism or not being brutally mean to get your own way. Because I know we can certainly be very aggressive when trying to argue a point. We are less than likely to let something slide. Nihilism, while in theory the same, is a bit different. A nihilist may for example, tirelessly argue the correctness of nihilism.

I am not a nihilist and neither are any of my friends.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

nihilism is where you don't believe in a meaning of life. ie. everything is just pointless. Why bother arguing when nothing really matters anyway? Existence is senseless and useless.

I'm not saying that nihilism is related to being mean and getting your own way. I'm saying that there might be a connection, as a nihilist is less likely to have the drive required for such aggression and assertiveness.

The only problem here seems to be that INTPs aren't necessarily Nihilists. But the underlying question is:

'To what extent can INTPs assert themselves?'

The rest was just my own speculation (under the influence of a slight lack of sleep).
    5 3 9

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Why are people always talking about us?
    Are we that interesting?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTJ

From what I've seen of nihilists, they have a tendency for hypocrisy as they feel the need to get everyone else to agree with their nihilism, which theoretically shouldn't matter, right?

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I am anything but a pushover. Yet I don't think I fall into the category of being assertive. But maybe that's because I view assertiveness as a last resort for incompetent people trying to get somewhere with their life.

I reach my destination in other ways. I get what I want, without being 'assertive', and I make sure there is no negative backlash. And it makes me feel extremely powerful in many ways.

I'm a mean pacifier.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Asterion View Post
    cheese

How many INTPs out there can really assert themselves? Can you be brutally mean so that you get your own way? Or do you let things slide to much... I reckon some might because of a tendancy to be nihilisitic. Nihilistic-> nothing matters-> let it slide maaaaan
    I have no problem asserting myself if I know it's reasonable and appropriate in the situation. The trouble has been that I haven't always known what's appropriate. I have a better idea now. If I know I'm treated unfairly, I'll do something about it and not get into that situation again.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

I generally don't assert myself. Even in non-conflict situations I always second guess myself. The only arenas I feel comfortable being direct are academic. I will argue something that is obviously a fact or logically irrefutable. But then it's only if I think the person is smart/important enough to explain to. I generally just go with the flow or let someone else fight the battle.

In conflict situations I don't get forceful I just explain my point of view and then try to disengage. Unless a loved one is involved the. I will really get in people's faces and say very belittling things/laugh at them those ate very rate occurrences