User Tag List

Page 647 of 728 FirstFirst ... 147547597637645646647648649657697 ... LastLast
Results 6,461 to 6,470 of 7275

Thread: The Rant Thread

As a Houstonian, I am equally unsurprised and enraged.
    "There is no god; there is only us. Savage and fragile."
    Likes Anaximander liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Better links:

Little Girl Detained By Police After Trying to Buy School Lunch with Real $2 Bill - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Lunchroom Lunacy: ISD cops investigate $2 bill spent on school lunch | abc13.com

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    As a Houstonian, I am equally unsurprised and enraged.
    This criminalization of things kids do at school appears in all 50 states, not just Texas.

Across America, Parents Push Back Against Creeping Authoritarianism and Criminalization of Students | Alternet

And it mostly affects minority students, not whites. As the original news report points out, there's a 3 year old state law that makes it more difficult for schools to charge students with misdemeanors - indicating state legislators are aware of the problem and trying to fix it - but the law doesn't apply to felonies. This counterfeiting charge gets past that law because counterfeiting is technically a felony, never mind that any student passing counterfeit bills is likely someone who has been duped by someone else's counterfeit and hasn't don't anything knowingly criminal. The way these students are being prosecuted (the ABC13 article links to 40 individual cases!) appears to be quite unfair, especially in one case where a student has been sent to an alternative school while his prosecution is still pending.

The $2 bill became an issue because it was VERY OLD and the counterfeiting pen couldn't verify it as real, so technically the school did no wrong other than force the girl to miss lunch and fail to apologize for the misunderstanding once the truth was known. Even the Reason article author thought that $2 bills are no longer issued, but in fact they are. I suspect this $2 bill episode wouldn't have even been publicized if the school and the officer were more apologetic. But the more bureaucratic the system, the fewer apologies one receives.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.
    Likes Ivy, magpie liked this post

ggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Array Anaximander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Better links:

Little Girl Detained By Police After Trying to Buy School Lunch with Real $2 Bill - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Lunchroom Lunacy: ISD cops investigate $2 bill spent on school lunch | abc13.com

This criminalization of things kids do at school appears in all 50 states, not just Texas.

Across America, Parents Push Back Against Creeping Authoritarianism and Criminalization of Students | Alternet

And it mostly affects minority students, not whites. As the original new report points out, there's a 3 year old state law that makes it more difficult for schools to charge students with misdemeanors - indicating state legislators are aware of the problem and trying to fix it - but the law doesn't apply to felonies. This counterfeiting charge gets past that law because counterfeiting is technically a felony, never mind that any student passing counterfeit bills is likely someone who has been duped by someone else's counterfeit and hasn't don't anything knowingly criminal. The way these students are being prosecuted (the ABC13 article links to 40 individual cases!) appears to be quite unfair, especially in one case where a student has been sent to an alternative school while his prosecution is still pending.

The $2 bill became an issue because it was VERY OLD and the counterfeiting pen couldn't verify it as real, so technically the school did no wrong other than force the girl to miss lunch and fail to apologize for the misunderstanding once the truth was known. Even the Reason article author thought that $2 bills are no longer issued, but in fact they are. I suspect this $2 bill episode wouldn't have even been publicized if the school and the officer were more apologetic. But the more bureaucratic the system, the fewer apologies one receives.
    Wasn't my intent to single out Texas.
    Likes uumlau liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Anaximander View Post
    Wasn't my intent to single out Texas.
    I have no problem doing that.

I've lived in several states and gone to school in several states, and am now in a profession that deals closely with education administrators, and I am perfectly comfortable saying that there is a particular brand of school administrative authoritarianism here that seems unrivaled elsewhere.
    @uumlau That said, yeah of course this shit happens elsewhere.
    "There is no god; there is only us. Savage and fragile."
    Likes uumlau, Cloudpatrol liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

As my state (North Carolina) has shown recently, Texas and Florida sure as heck aren't hogging all the stupid.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii
    Likes uumlau, Yamato Nadeshiko, iwakar liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

I hate it when I'm stressed out and overwhelmed and there's no one to blame. *shakes fist at sky*
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Likes Masokissed, geedoenfj, Cloudpatrol liked this post

MBTI
    :}

Ugh...

This is gunna suck.

Im the amazing veinless wonder and damn... This is gunna be hellish. Its funny because some kid came in- they poked him once- and was out in 5 minutes.

I know I wont be that easy.

Im a trouble maker I am.

Ahhhhh!! Damn.

deplorable basketcase Array Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I remember the $2 bill; they're not that old. I also remember the dollar coins; they're annoying because you don't know how the cashier would react if you pay with one, so I just gave it away for a tip, because waiters/waitresses don't care what type of currency you use.
    If bees did go extinct, we could always hire people to dress up as bees and pollinate flowers with tiny feather dusters. Sure it'd be more expensive, but there are also millions of idle teens.
    Likes uumlau liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Ugh. Mediocre consultants are mediocre.
    ^ THIS AGAIN.
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!
    Likes Grand Admiral Crunch liked this post

MBTI
    eSTP

When rewriting parts of an application do not leave old code in place. Clean up the code or you end with a disaster because people reuse the old code at a later time and now you have a spaghetti mess of code that needs another rewrite where unless you actually learned your lesson, happens again.
    Take what I say with a grain of salt, because that's all it is compared to the ocean of complexity when it comes to actions and real life.
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post