Page 592 of 729 FirstFirst ... 92492542582590591592593594602642692 ... LastLast
Results 5,911 to 5,920 of 7287

Thread: The Rant Thread

Oɴᴇ Hᴇᴀʀᴛ Array Yamato Nadeshiko's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx

It frustrates me that my friends who all have natural science majors are all so quick to write off the validity of my sociology major and claim it's not "hard" like theirs (because there aren't any labs or math). My 4.0 that I got this semester that I'm proud of is laughable to them because my classes aren't "real" classes. They're "joke" classes. As if I didn't spend all semester writing fucking analytical essays and learning synthetic thinking. Why the fuck is getting a degree a competition of "my degree is harder than your degree?" They're both challenging in different ways. Well excuse fucking me for allowing myself to be happy that I did well this semester, I can see now that everything I did was moot compared to your holier-than-thou majors. Jesus fucking christ.

knowing what makes us happy
    is sometimes the hardest thing to do
    Johari / Nohari
    6w7 9w1 2w1 - so/sx
    Phlegmatic - Melancholic
    Sensitive - Solitary - Serious
    Likes Hawthorne liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by 21lux View Post
    It frustrates me that my friends who all have natural science majors are all so quick to write off the validity of my sociology major and claim it's not "hard" like theirs (because there aren't any labs or math). My 4.0 that I got this semester that I'm proud of is laughable to them because my classes aren't "real" classes. They're "joke" classes. As if I didn't spend all semester writing fucking analytical essays and learning synthetic thinking. Why the fuck is getting a degree a competition of "my degree is harder than your degree?" They're both challenging in different ways. Well excuse fucking me for allowing myself to be happy that I did well this semester, I can see now that everything I did was moot compared to your holier-than-thou majors. Jesus fucking christ.
    You get those kinds of intellectual bullshit games, just ignore them, in the UK and ROI there were modules on pure statistics and statistical computer packages for quantitative/survey evidence based research and some bias towards thesis conducted using the same to produce marketable materials for sale when I studied. I think it was also in order that the qualifications could be taken seriously as bachelors or masters of science rather than bachelors of arts.

What you're experiencing/observing there is social attitudes formation and deployment in action, treat it as a lab experiment, you could even integrate it into your work, micro-sociology deals with it I think. Although its been years since I studied it I try and keep up to speed with it. While a lot of people are fool enough to dismiss the social sciences as pointless or unnecessary with the decline or disappearence of Marxism as an important world movement or set of theories marketing, PR, economics, sales, business, management, all the things which utilise the hard sciences are always keen to tap the knowledge base of sociology.

To be honest I heard a lot of talk about how its great to be an engineer, it appears to be what nations compete to have the more of these days, although there's going to be glut of people with those skills in the not too distant future, employability will suck as much as for anyone else, innovations are everyday making employability a bigger and bigger problem for anyone and everyone. The skill set for the future will be personal adaptability to changes, ie the ability to do a number of different things rennaisance man style which takes motivation as well as learning, resilience to stress, which I'd argue is motivational aswell, creativity, imagination, affect control and emotional intelligence, all of which I'd say have motivational components too. Who is the daddy of motivational research? Abraham Maslow. Social researcher/sociologist.

Also I think anyone being dismissive of their friends efforts like that is being a dick. You worked hard.
    Likes Yamato Nadeshiko, Hawthorne liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

This stupid shit about Bill Cosby all over the news today, which I just happened to catch because I was in the room where the TV is, not because I ever watch the news, is so sickening. Yeah, right, all those women suddenly came out of the shadows to tell their rape stories, like all at once. There's not a shred of truth to it. Doesn't the media know we know they make this shit up? How the fuck do they sleep at night. Ewww, I hate them!
    “Oh, what a tangled web we weave...when first we practice to deceive.”
    ― Walter Scott, Marmion

Quote Originally Posted by GIjade View Post
    This stupid shit about Bill Cosby all over the news today, which I just happened to catch because I was in the room where the TV is, not because I ever watch the news, is so sickening. Yeah, right, all those women suddenly came out of the shadows to tell their rape stories, like all at once. There's not a shred of truth to it. Doesn't the media know we know they make this shit up? How the fuck do they sleep at night. Ewww, I hate them!
    You think they all made it up? They have nothing to gain, legally or financially, by making these claims. I definitely think some women falsely cry rape in an attempt to gain money and/or attention, or because they don't want to be responsible for decisions they regret; however, I don't think there is some grand conspiracy to smear his name, involving all of these different women.

Just out of curiosity, why do you think the media is fabricating this scandal?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

They didn't come out "all of a sudden," either. Women have been saying these things about him for years. Nobody listened until recently.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii
    Likes Masokissed liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    They didn't come out "all of a sudden," either. Women have been saying these things about him for years. Nobody listened until recently.
    Exactly. @GIjade, you're either too young to know how long this has been going on or --screw that --there's Google. You're not too young for online searching.
    "There is no god; there is only us. Savage and fragile."

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Crabs View Post
    You think they all made it up? They have nothing to gain, legally or financially, by making these claims. I definitely think some women falsely cry rape in an attempt to gain money and/or attention, or because they don't want to be responsible for decisions they regret; however, I don't think there is some grand conspiracy to smear his name, involving all of these different women.

Just out of curiosity, why do you think the media is fabricating this scandal?
    This scandal? I think the media concocts all sorts or "scandals" and horrible events just to keep the public scared and to make themselves feel like Gods. I think newscasters are the scum or the earth. They're liars and I don't know how they sleep at night.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Exactly. @GIjade, you're either too young to know how long this has been going on or --screw that --there's Google. You're not too young for online searching.
    Not too young.
    “Oh, what a tangled web we weave...when first we practice to deceive.”
    ― Walter Scott, Marmion

There's a special on CNN right now about Cosby's numerous sexual assaults. I have no doubt that Barbara Bowman is telling the truth. Nothing in her demeanor or body language suggests that she is lying and her recollection of what happened is very detailed and matter-of-fact. Having said that, she made a lot of bad decisions that repeatedly put her in vulnerable situations with Cosby. Sure, she was a young and naive girl at the time - an aspiring actress who was trying to make her way in Hollywood. But after the initial rape, she still found herself alone with Cosby in various hotel rooms. Of course Cosby is at fault for his own behaviors, but if Bowman wasn't continually making stupid decisions, she probably wouldn't have been raped in the first place.

Just sayin...

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Array Cellmold's Avatar

Evree dai at werk:

"An upsidedown wire heart
    Being sucked into a periscope
    Still the mind is dull
    Like you need another excuse"

… a theory is primarily a form of insight, i.e. a way of looking
    at the world, and not a form of knowledge of how the world is….
    .. all our different ways of thinking are to be considered as
    different ways of looking at the one reality, each with some
    domain in which it is clear and adequate….
    - David Bohm

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Cellmold View Post
    Evree dai at werk:

Gotta love the 12th doctor swearing.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.
    Likes Cellmold liked this post